Mopar Truck help

We have a new truck in the shop. Its a 1990 Dodge Dakota v6 . The customer was told it is one of only 200. All of the guys here at the shop wanted to get some input on the history of the truck or any little fun facts (i.e. specs, original motor, or whether or not this truck is as rare as we think) that anyone has any knowledge of. Thanks in advanced for any help we get!

dodge 2.jpg

dodge 3.jpg

dodge.jpg

dodge 5.jpg

dodge 4.jpg

The Dakota Convertibles are pretty rare, not as rare as "200" though I bet he was told that because of major options as in maybe there were indeed only 200 of the automatic or manual, 2wd or 4wd. Per Allpar:

The Dodge Dakota convertible, according to forum poster “dakotaquadsport,” was the result of a 1988 contract with ASC, the American conversion shop. In 1989, Dodge sold 2,842 Dakota convertibles, but that apparently saturated the market; just 909 were made in 1990 and a mere eight in 1991, made to fulfill the contract with ASC.

Its certainly a "neat" truck but value wise they really aren't worth all that much no matter how rare they are sadly. Even the Shelby Dakotas don't go for more than a 1-5 Grand usually depending on condition.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

That truck brings back some memories though. I remember when my parents were looking to buy my mom a 90 dodge omni/plymouth horizon, dodge city had one on the show floor...as a little kid that was something cool to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As far as the engine, 120hp baby! iirc it was only 200 or 190 ft-lbs of torque at a peak of 2000-2500 rpm or something really low. Seriously, the carbed and later tbi v6 were seriously underpowered.

Keeping a tbi there is not much you can do to jump up the power, but going carbed might not be horrid. There are four barrel swaps, but manifolds are rare...have to look for them on ebay or at swap meets. It is a roller cam, so getting it reground is a viable option for more performance. If I was going to mod it, I'd also upgrade to the magnum heads of 92 and later v6's, though you'd have to drill and tap to make it work with unless you find a magnum specific 4bbl (they're out there too). Headers would complete the upgrades.

Perhaps better, and I don't think would really hurt the power would be a swap to a carbed LA small block, fi magnum small block, or even large block mopar.

Of course, even underpowered as they are....they were considered nice little cruisers, but not much else.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Thanks for the input guys...This thing sure is a trip!

Chrysler Certified Technician Plum Crazy's Avatar
    Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning

We have a guy with a Red one that still brings it in for service at Palmen. Just last week we had a TC by Masirati in the shop.
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purple
    2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Flame Red
    1967 AMC Ambassador Convertible

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum Crazy View Post
    We have a guy with a Red one that still brings it in for service at Palmen. Just last week we had a TC by Masirati in the shop.
    I saw a white one in west allis. makes me wonder if these sold like hot cakes in Wisconsin.

Chrysler Certified Technician Plum Crazy's Avatar
    Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning

Seeing as there are Chrysler plants in WI, they probably gave first dibs to employees.
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purple
    2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Flame Red
    1967 AMC Ambassador Convertible