Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member..now yer posting!

The Shaolin's Boosted RWD stupid Saturn Project

Hey dudes,

Figured I'd get the thread rolling on here as well. I was originally planning on going FWD:

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/...d-Swap-Project

But, after getting the engine and trans into the engine bay and seeing how very far off everything was....I figured if I was going to have to do a TON of cutting and welding I might has well make it worth my while right? This way I don't have to fuck with things like custom axles, knuckles, front suspension geometry (too much, anyways) I figured it was more work, but less headache, if that makes sense.

So, on to the parts:

L61 2.2L Ecotec from a 2003 Cavalier
    AR5 Transmission from Sky/Solstice
    240SX rear end and rear subframe

What I need to decide yet:

This was planned as a supercharged FWD setup originally...and I didn't realize until today that there's not much hope of fitting the supercharger, as it's going to be positively buried in the firewall. (Although it would be neat to have a cone filter in the middle of the dashboard....hahahaha). So, I'm contemplating either going with a different blower, or turbo.

My vision of the car has been revolving around a supercharger for awhile...and I like that I won't have to worry about the intake, exhaust manifolds, intercooler, downpipe, oil lines, etc...as I already have parts that will bolt on for all of this. Still, it looks like it might be easiest in the long run to sell all that and buy all the LNF stuff that will bolt on.

I'd really like to run a 2.4L LE5 bottom end (forged from factory), or the 2.0L LSJ bottom end (already set up for boost) rather than build this engine. We'll see.

I'm also planning on running a megasquirt for full standalone control.

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    Don't worry about how far under the cowl it is.... if this local guy can get it to work, so can you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8_x_DLfgLY

hahaha

Yep, I've definitely researched Jake's car and talked to him a bit. I wanna get down there and check it out sometime when it's not buried at the back of the shop

My transmission showed up today!

Mock up trans!

What my basement looks like. This all came off the car!

Before:

Where the car sits:

Starting to cut:

Subframe

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out. Turkey Shoot Champion KidCougar's Avatar

out of all things, why a saturn?

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    says the man with a Cougar hahaha

all in jest

should be very cool
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

BCM Rseident Grill Master Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
    says the man with a Cougar hahaha

all in jest
    werd

finally got on here to check it out! i love the way that car looks!

on a side note... in the next 2-3 weeks ill be getting back to my ls1 project!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD
    '63 chevy ll < new project
    Some girls do want an 8 second ride

Quote Originally Posted by KidCougar View Post
    out of all things, why a saturn?
    Because it's in my garage, taking up space, and I'm bored and I have an angle grinder? Because nobody's done this before quite the way I'm doing it?

Most of all, why the fuck not?

Seriously though, I've had the car for almost 10 years. I wanted to do something special with it. It wasn't worth selling it and I didn't want to put another shitty engine in it. I've already got a fast car, a bike and a daily...

Quote Originally Posted by sloLs1 View Post

Thanks!

Glad to hear it, make sure to take some pics!

Thats what I like to here!!!

Could there be 2 rwd red sattys rolling around this summer?!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD
    '63 chevy ll < new project
    Some girls do want an 8 second ride

Could there be 2 rwd red sattys rolling around this summer?!
    Hahaha. I still have zero idea how you got yours going so fast. I really don't see myself getting done any time this year, we'll see though. If you ever wanna swing up and check it out, I've got some homebrew on tap for ya

I will say that this is definitely the forum with the most RWD Saturn projects....lol.

Sounds like a cool project, best of luck, do you have a 240sx rear subframe yet? if not and your lookin for one check out www.wi240sx.com someone on there should have one.

I do have the subframe and rear diff, but I'm still looking for knuckles and some stock suspension parts to play with...thanks for the link

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    240sx rear is a good choice. If you are looking for an LSD I would definitely recommend the s15 HLSD. Good luck with the build

Post whore
    That trans is made by Aisin. Pretty close to the R154 in my Supra. Cool build.

Post whore
    cool build, i still plan on shutting down the neon after i hit nines, part out some stuff.... then get to heavy fabrication to make it rwd as well
    Just a ten second neon

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    240sx rear is a good choice. If you are looking for an LSD I would definitely recommend the s15 HLSD. Good luck with the build
    I was eyein up that S15 diff, but figured I should get it running before I start making upgrades! The subframe looks like a pretty close fit, two of the lower bolts are a fraction of an inch away from lining up with where the stock lower control arms bolted in.

Quote Originally Posted by spooln30 View Post
    That trans is made by Aisin. Pretty close to the R154 in my Supra. Cool build.
    Yes it is! When I was looking for information on this trans, the one thread that kept popping up was comparing it to the R154 from a supra forum!

Quote Originally Posted by 1siksrt View Post
    cool build, i still plan on shutting down the neon after i hit nines, part out some stuff.... then get to heavy fabrication to make it rwd as well
    THAT would be something to see

Anyways, update today, I went to Gibson's in Neenah...dropped the rear end out of another S13...I need the knuckles and lower control arms, figured I'd take the whole subframe because it was easier to pull. Spent an hour getting it out, they sent a truck to come pick it up for me...they left it in the truck, I go inside to pay at the counter...told them I had a rear end assembly....he's like "Well, that's $150".

"I brought $100 cash. That's all I got"

"You're not getting that for $100".

"Alright, fine. I'll leave the differential, I just want the subframe."

"WOAH WOAH, HANG ON, you didn't tell me you had a subframe too! $100 for the subframe, $175 for the diff. $25 a piece for the axles and struts. $375 plus tax"

Freaking ridiculous. I wish there was a picknpull on this side of the state line...had awesome luck and fair prices at the Chicagoland ones...

So, I might go back on Monday and try to get the axles and subframe, but $150 is still rape. Might just say "fuck it" and go to a picknpull next weekend...the hour plus drive might be worth it.

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shaolin View Post
    "WOAH WOAH, HANG ON, you didn't tell me you had a subframe too! $100 for the subframe, $175 for the diff. $25 a piece for the axles and struts. $375 plus tax"

Freaking ridiculous. I wish there was a picknpull on this side of the state line...had awesome luck and fair prices at the Chicagoland ones...

So, I might go back on Monday and try to get the axles and subframe, but $150 is still rape. Might just say "fuck it" and go to a picknpull next weekend...the hour plus drive might be worth it.
    I would have said, "For $375 I want the whole car". I would have left it all there... It's not like they pulled it out for you and shipped it to you.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

I see now why SloLS1 dropped the engine and tranny in seperate....hah!