Devaluation after an accident?

Alright so I get rear ended Sunday http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/...51251-Whiplash!
    Here's my question; Even if they fix it perfectly with no sign of damage what so ever, how much has it devalued my car? This car is only 7months old with 7500miles on it.
    Guess I need to talk to a lawyer.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    I have no idea how much actual value is lost. But think about it from a dealership or person buying/taking the car on trade in. I've never really stayed away from cars that had been in an accident depending on how bad it was. However there's lots of people out there that hear accident and immediatly go to the next one.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar
    If I hear accident... I move on. Only because Im a perfectionist and can't trust the quality of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    Best you can probably do is get it appraised from a dealership or find other cars online that had similar damage and compare the prices on it vs no damage. It's amazing how many people forget to go after devaluation damages after accidents, your definitely entitled to it.
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

Senior Member..now yer posting! tommyt5078's Avatar
    I hate to say this, but you will not get anything extra because of this....................IMO your car has now been in an accident and will more then likely sell for less then a car like it that hasn't been in an accident.

Had the same problem...............but I will be driving this car until it dies!!!!!
    13.176@101.48 Bone Stock 05'STi done on 6/20/2010 import wars #4 hot day, 11:20am.

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out. Turkey Shoot Champion KidCougar's Avatar

best bet is to rock it untill the wheels fall off..but private party sellers sometimes wont care, depends on the buyer..

I think its more of an issue now then ever... Even ebay lists all accidents. Kinda depends on the car too, for me atleast. If its the exact color, miles, and whatnot I want I'll overlook it.

This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt5078 View Post
    I hate to say this, but you will not get anything extra because of this....................IMO your car has now been in an accident and will more then likely sell for less then a car like it that hasn't been in an accident.

Had the same problem...............but I will be driving this car until it dies!!!!!
    I think we're all in agreement, he needs to get extra out of the other party's insurance company to compensate him on his future loss.
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out. Turkey Shoot Champion KidCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FoxStang View Post
    I think we're all in agreement, he needs to get extra out of the other party's insurance company to compensate him on his future loss.
    thats what i was getting at when i said to go after the insurance company...

In most cases, if you plan on trading in the car at a dealership, they dont check the carfax. Only when the car is rather rare will they check it, and even then only about 10% of the time. I wouldnt mention it unless it was asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Most insurance companies do it if you ask. If you don't, they don't.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Well first they claim they won't pay devaluation because there's no law. Now they say they don't have a devaluation adjuster and I'll have to find one file a claim and they might pay. What a bunch of assholes!

Chrysler Certified Technician Plum Crazy's Avatar
    Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning

Sue her for the original window sticker. If anyone hits my Challenger, that my plan.
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purple
    2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Flame Red
    1967 AMC Ambassador Convertible

It looks like its just cosmetic damage. I wouldn't worry about it losing much value if any at all. Just keep a copy of the estimate if anyone questions it when you're looking to sell the car or trade it in.
    1997 Red GTP Coupe - Sold
    2004 Nissan Maxima SL - Sold
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    -Spectre Intake
    -Corsa Catback
    -Diablosport Tune
    -13.17@106

If there's a carfax report on it there will be at least some devaluation.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrygto View Post
    If there's a carfax report on it there will be at least some devaluation.
    And that's all it takes for some people.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Any other advice on this? Did the OP get any money back? I also heard this called diminished value claim. Any other advice?

Whoa old thread, lol. I have to be honest, when I'm broke I look for cars with damage history, just so I can get it under the normal value, I'm not picky. But I know resale will be hard, and I usually don't get the vehicle off until months later, patience is key with vehicles with damage history, but thast's it, I've sold 3 vehicles with salvage titles in my time for around or exactly what I wanted for it. The right buyer always seems to come along, whether its 2 months or 6.

I know this doesn't help you, but any kind of accident raises red flags imo. Usually when I'm in the market for a vehicle, I autocheck the ones that have been posted for awhile and its always some sort of damage history or emissions or registration history.
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    One day we will have muscle cars again....
    -Jimmy E.

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    Last edited by MurphysLaw88GT; 12-21-2011 at 12:10 AM.

I have since sold the car for a fairly good price, I'm sure I would have got more had it not had a carfax on it.
    04 GTO weekend toy
    12 WRX weekday toy