Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LS1 Guys Check In

What are the main issues to look for in a 98-02 F-Body (or 04 GTO) LS1? I found a few good deals on 98-02 F-Bodies but was wondering if there were any big issues with 98-00 models that were fixed in 01-02.

I have test drove a 98 Z28 and an 02 Z28. The 98 was manual and the power steering pump was on it's way out. Everything seemed fine on the 02.
    Daily Driver: 2009 Camry
    Weekend Car: 2006 Corvette

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Check under the car to see if it has a 10 bolt...if it does, AVOID like the plague!

hiyo!

j/king of course....
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    '01 and '02's came with the LS6 manifold
    '98's were a different animal in regards to the computer tuning, but i'm sure Tom could help you with everything no matter what year.

'98's had better fuel pump and larger injectors and weak rod bolts supposedly
    '01-'02 had close to '98 injector sizing if i remember right

i'd stick with the '01 and '02 cars to be honest, but that's just me.

Others can tell you alot more than I can.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar

Question

01-02 hands down. If I remember correctly there was all kinds of better things about them. LS6 intake, LS6 clutch, the newer clutch hydraulics. As for the 04 GTO it will certainly be a little heavier than the fbody with close to the same hp so obviously a little slower. However the interior is much better as is the ride quality. Having owned an 02 T/A and 06 GTO the gto is much better.

IMO try to find a steal on a 05-06 GTO. Also Chris all fbodies have the 10bolt.

Things to look for,

- whining rear diffs above 45 (both gto and fbody)
    - sticking clutch pedal @ wot on the fbody (poorly maintained clutch system)
    - leaking input seal on the fbody 10 bolt
    - rear quarter panels on the fobdies were known to tweak a bit if driven aggresivly (I've seen this personally)
    Last edited by GTSLOW; 03-28-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
    Also Chris all fbodies have the 10bolt
    U don't say?!?
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

All of the above^^^^ The rest of the car is pretty sound other than wear and tear items in the interior/and on extior components. If its an A4 car, you can probably bet your gonna be putting a tranny in it with aftermarket parts inside of it in the near future if you plan to wail on it at all.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    U don't say?!?
    LOL

SS for speed (also cheaper), GTO for build quality.

I found the link on LS1Tech.com for all the minor changes between years. My big question is reliability, especially on the transmission. I am comparing a 98 T/A with 67k (1 owner) and a 02 Z28 with 37k, both are A4s. T/A only has intake/exhaust and Z28 is stock. I can't vouch for how hard they were beat on, but the T/A is considerably cheaper (almost $3g). Do you think the stock transmission (provided I don't beat the crap out of it) can make it to 100k on a stock/lightly modded engine?

Quote Originally Posted by VroomPshhTsi View Post
    I found the link on LS1Tech.com for all the minor changes between years. My big question is reliability, especially on the transmission. I am comparing a 98 T/A with 67k (1 owner) and a 02 Z28 with 37k, both are A4s. T/A only has intake/exhaust and Z28 is stock. I can't vouch for how hard they were beat on, but the T/A is considerably cheaper (almost $3g). Do you think the stock transmission (provided I don't beat the crap out of it) can make it to 100k on a stock/lightly modded engine?

Might want to PM Kyle A B4C Z I know hes looking to make some ridiculous deal on his car to get rid of it.

Jeff

1999 C5 TT street car - 901/881 on pump gas, 10.82@137mph
    2013 Denali Duramax

Get the camaro you won't have to deal with the BS headlight motor issues like the TA's have! Kyles car is mint.
    03 Terminator Vert
    06 TL

Quote Originally Posted by JC70SS View Post
    Get the camaro you won't have to deal with the BS headlight motor issues like the TA's have! Kyles car is mint.
    Agreed.If i could sell my soul i would for his car.
    99-ranger
    88-ranger
    89-spirit

Quote Originally Posted by jc70ss View Post
    get the camaro you won't have to deal with the bs headlight motor issues like the ta's have! Kyles car is mint.

/\this!!!!!!!
    I offer online scheduling using BookFresh

<div class="imlinks"> <div class="popupmenu vehicleaction"> <a class="popupctrl" href="#"><strong>Vehicles</strong></a> <ul class="popupbody popuphover vehicleaction_body"> <li class="left"><a href="http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/garage_ve
    I must be one of the lucky ones with a 10 bolt that never broke and no headlight motor issues. Probably just jinxed myself.

Yoosof all the problems with your car I would of burned it years ago.
    2002 Trans AM Ws6 M6 Black on Black. Procharged
    2011 GMC Sierra All Terrain
    2009 Infiniti G37x

my headlights have been fine and my ten bolt held up to what i put it thru. it was in one piece when i gave it to tom. you'd have to ask him what it looked like inside tho.
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

I dealt with one head light motor after the other. Then the window motor went out. Also replaced rusted out knock sensors?? Other than that great car.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

my windows are slow now but they still work for now

After some searching I found A B4C Z's Camaro. Damn that thing is nice but much too nice for me. I am looking to spend roughly half that (this will be my dd).

So from what I hear the transmissions aren't as bad as some people are making them out to be. Also the window and headlight motors tend to suck. Anything else reliability wise?

You might be surprised what Kyle's thrown out there to move the car down the road.....

Jeff

1999 C5 TT street car - 901/881 on pump gas, 10.82@137mph
    2013 Denali Duramax

Get yourself a M6 trust me you wont look back.

Hell I think everyone in here has/had a M6 LSX of some sort.

i love my m6 i would get bored if i didn't use my left foot for something