its almost that time again Ricky Bobby's Avatar

? on rear axle of 2000 jeep grand cherokee

So i was doin the brakes last night on the jeep (2000 jeep grand cherokee with 4.7L)and i noticed driver side axle seal is leaking. From what ive read these are bolt in axles dont need to pull the diff cover to drop a c-clip, is this true also i looked for the fill plug and i dont see one. Am I blind, i looked on both sides of the snout and nothing and nothing in the cover any help would be great so i can replace this seal and refill the nasty shit known as gear lube

all the jeep axles I can remeber filling had that funky rubber plug in the cover that popped out
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay, basic approach to removing rear axle:

Remove caliper and disc, hang caliper to the side...and then remove ABS sensor so it doesn't get damaged.

On the back side, the axle is retained by bolts and studs...some 99's are bolts and nuts. Remove them.

My recommended way, if you don't have a slide hammer, is use the disc that you pulled and put three lug nuts on turned only about 3-4 turns/threads in...this way, you can use it as a make-shift slide hammer to get the axle out to do the seal/bearings. The downside is, you'll really need a machine shop to do the new one.

As far as fluid change/adding, wickedsix is correct....should be a rubber plug on the back of the axle. If there is enough grime, it could be covering the thin little rubber plug.

I'd PM plum crazy...he's a mopar tech that spends considerable time working on jeeps....he's always my goto guy whenever I get stumped.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

the bearings is fine just the axle seal is leaking

Chrysler Certified Technician Plum Crazy's Avatar
    Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning

you have to cut off the bearings to get the seal off. Its the way it is.
    Here is a picture diagram:

1 - RETAINING RING
    2 - SEAL
    3 - AXLE
    4 - RETAINING PLATE
    5 - AXLE BEARING

Here is the "CORRECT" way:
    1.Remove axle shaft from vehicle
    NOTE: It is normal that the axle bearing race is loose in the axle tube.

2.Remove the studs from the axle retaining plate.
    3.Using a 3/8 in. dia. drill bit, drill a shallow hole into soft steel axle bearing retaining ring Drill Retaining Ring If possible, use a drill depth stop to avoid marking axle.
    4.Using a suitable cold chisel, cut retaining ring across drilled hole. Cut Retaining Ring
    5.Slide retaining ring from axle shaft.
    6.Using Splitter 1130 placed between the seal and bearing and a suitable Arbor Press, press bearing from the axle shaft Axle Bearing and Seal Remove
    7.Slide seal from axle.
    8.Slide retaining plate from axle shaft.
    INSTALLATION
    1.Using a suitable straight edge, verify flatness of axle shaft retaining plate. Replace plate if warped.
    2.Install the studs back into the retaining plate. If the studs are loose in the plate, replace the retaining plate.
    3.Install retaining plate on axle Axle Bearing and Seal Components
    4.Apply a coat of multi-purpose grease on sealing surface of axle seal.
    5.Install seal on axle with cavity away from retaining plate Axle Bearing and Seal Components
    6.Lubricate bearing with MoparŪ Wheel Bearing Grease, or equivalent. Wipe excess grease from the bearing.
    7.Slide bearing onto axle shaft Axle Bearing and Seal Components
    8.Using Installer 7913 and shop press, press bearing onto axle shaft Press Bearing Onto Axle
    9.Using Installer 7913 and shop press, press soft metal retaining ring onto axle shaft Press Bearing Retaining Ring On Axle
    10.Install axle in vehicle.

Here is the Dealer way:

what we do is using a cutoff wheel, cut thru the bearing at an angle, being carful not to cut into the axle itself. When you get almost all the way thru, hit it with an air hammer, it will crack the bearing and you can slide/drive them off. You will need to press the new bearing on.
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purple
    2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Flame Red
    1967 AMC Ambassador Convertible

damn it so where can i have this pressed on and off at i can pull the axle and cut off whatever i need but dont have a press to put it back on properly

also can u reuse the bearing of just cut the retaining ring and bearing?

Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning

If you can get the bearing off without damaging it, that should be okay, but by the time those seals start leaking (80-100k) its just smart to replace the bearing because it already has a ton of miles on it. Why tear it apart twice if you dont have to.

true so how much does it usually cost for this process i can pull the axle and get the crap off but need new seal/bearing replaced and i can reinstall it??

I wanna say the bearing is 90 bucks for a mopar one, the spacer is 35 and the seal is 15. Not sure, i dont usually look at part prices. You are going to need a bench style press to get the bearing and spacer back on. You just need a cutoff wheel to get them off.