Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: engine opinions

I know I over priced the carb. It happens.

But I love how everybody thinks that building a turbo setup is cheap. Just use this and then get this from a Salvage yard. I hear and read that shit all the times on websites.

And yes I have built a turbo setup. The turbo was the cheap part. It was the Exhaust, Fuel system, engine upgrades and intercooler set up that almost drove me into the poor house. I had about 2000 in the engine and about 3 more in the other expenses. And I was boosting to 20PSI on a 2.3. And thats chump change since my engine already had forged pistion and a good head.. And most of the setup was already done for me.

Dont get me wrong, I will go back to boost once I get the coin to do so. Its the sound and power that it makes worth it.

I have the pump, cell, filters and enough SS line to get me to the point of being ready to fuel this kind of power adder.
    So far I am up to 1100. And I am no were close enough.

Didn't think it would be cheap. I have most of the fuel stuff in the closet from my other car.
    Will probably build a pump gas 408w and call it a day. Should be as fast as I ever want to go.

Disappointing women since 1970.
    Love you Mom

Quote Originally Posted by FourEyedFord View Post
    $1500 sounds steep for the carb from C&S. Mine was up there only because I opted for the dual needle and seat bowls, which you don't need unless you are trying to make north of 1000hp. I think a 4150 BT carb with standard bowls on it would be more around the $1100 mark.

C&S makes awesome carbs though, and you certainly get what you pay for!!
    depends if you are pricing a "standard" 4150 or adding the ~$300 carb hat and ~$200 regulator
    C&S is the ONLY company I would deal with on the blowthru stuff,Roger knows his stuff and has always been there when we have had questions.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

A sweet 408 would be killer in a fox. That is the best bang for the buck. Seeing that you have the 351 already. And with that build it NA. Turbo is only a piston and cam change away.

Thanks Ron for backing me up on this. I knew I wasnt losing my mind. Maybe a 100 or so. Didnt we have this talk when I brought you my car for the subframe work? About what it would take to turbo a carbed Windsor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    A sweet 408 would be killer in a fox. That is the best bang for the buck. Seeing that you have the 351 already. And with that build it NA. Turbo is only a piston and cam change away.

Thanks Ron for backing me up on this. I knew I wasnt losing my mind. Maybe a 100 or so. Didnt we have this talk when I brought you my car for the subframe work? About what it would take to turbo a carbed Windsor.
    for applications of roughly 900ish hp i can do a turbo,wastegate,and blowoff for about 1650
    carb,pro series hat,and regulator roughly 1500ish
    hotside really depends on how cheap you want to go,shorty headers are pretty inexpensive. so really its a few mandrel bands and a few flanges.maybe a few hundred in time and materials.
    An a1000 pump is still OK for that power level.
    this would be a pretty much easy 600-900 HP setup depending how greedy you want to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    I know I over priced the carb. It happens.

But I love how everybody thinks that building a turbo setup is cheap. Just use this and then get this from a Salvage yard. I hear and read that shit all the times on websites.

And yes I have built a turbo setup. The turbo was the cheap part. It was the Exhaust, Fuel system, engine upgrades and intercooler set up that almost drove me into the poor house. I had about 2000 in the engine and about 3 more in the other expenses. And I was boosting to 20PSI on a 2.3. And thats chump change since my engine already had forged pistion and a good head.. And most of the setup was already done for me.

Dont get me wrong, I will go back to boost once I get the coin to do so. Its the sound and power that it makes worth it.

I have the pump, cell, filters and enough SS line to get me to the point of being ready to fuel this kind of power adder.
    So far I am up to 1100. And I am no were close enough.
    Oh I didn't think building a turbo setup was cheap at all. I was just commenting that I thought the carb price sounded high. Ron posted he sells the carb, hat, and regulator for 1500ish, which is an awesome price! I thought you were trying to say just the carb would be $1500, and like I said it can be but not necessary for a build less than a 1000hp. I am with ya on everything else!

Oh and Ron, don't take my first post as a dig on your prices at all! I was just trying to clear things up.

Quote Originally Posted by FourEyedFord View Post
    Oh I didn't think building a turbo setup was cheap at all. I was just commenting that I thought the carb price sounded high. Ron posted he sells the carb, hat, and regulator for 1500ish, which is an awesome price! I thought you were trying to say just the carb would be $1500, and like I said it can be but not necessary for a build less than a 1000hp. I am with ya on everything else!

Oh and Ron, don't take my first post as a dig on your prices at all! I was just trying to clear things up.
    no problem,sometimes details are not all included so it is not a "apples to apples" comparison.