Thread: no hot water

Boost went where again? Silver86's Avatar

Thumbs down no hot water

woke up this morning... jump into the shower only to be blasted by the coldest water i have ever felt!

the heater itself is less than a year old. when i checked the breaker, it was tripped. reset the breaker, waited, and still had cold water. been having trouble with this breaker. only during the summer months. it would occasionally pop when both a/c and the waterheater were running. they are not on the same breaker. possibly old/defective breaker?

there is nothing that i can physically see on why the unit is not operating.

anywhere else i can look... or should i call an electrician?
    - 86' rx7 - 06' mustang GT - 04' xterra SE -

How long did you wait after resetting breaker? Is it an instant hot heater?
    2002 F150 supercrew- st8 pipe, SCT-3 w/custom tunes
    1999 Yamaha RoadStar Silverado
    2002 Honda vtx1800 - exhaust, programmer, hypercharger, lowered
    97.5 Regal GS - some small mods. (Grandpa's Sleeper)
    52 MG TD Replica VW powered ​FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by WI_Dave View Post
    How long did you wait after resetting breaker? Is it an instant hot heater?
    25 or-so minutes... but usually you can hear the water heater running once you reset the breaker (not sure how to describe the sound an electric water heater sounds when heating the water.)

What amp circuit is that thing on and what else is on that circuit? If it's only a 20 AMP circuit, electric ones can draw nearly that so you probably need to have it split off to a larger circuit. It shouldn't be run on the same circuit with your A/C either I'd assume.

And 25 minutes is not very long to give 40+ gal of water to heat up. It takes me over 30 minutes to get 3 gallons to come to a roll on the stove top...

^^^ Thats why I asked, if the water cooled down enough, it can take a long time to heat up that amount of water. Give it a few hours and check it again, or if you can test if there is a draw (on the power-in line) you will know if its working.
    2002 F150 supercrew- st8 pipe, SCT-3 w/custom tunes
    1999 Yamaha RoadStar Silverado
    2002 Honda vtx1800 - exhaust, programmer, hypercharger, lowered
    97.5 Regal GS - some small mods. (Grandpa's Sleeper)
    52 MG TD Replica VW powered ​FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMax View Post
    What amp circuit is that thing on and what else is on that circuit? If it's only a 20 AMP circuit, electric ones can draw nearly that so you probably need to have it split off to a larger circuit. It shouldn't be run on the same circuit with your A/C either I'd assume.

And 25 minutes is not very long to give 40+ gal of water to heat up. It takes me over 30 minutes to get 3 gallons to come to a roll on the stove top...

the unit is on its own breaker... and its a double wide breaker... if that helps (im not at home so i cant check atm).

just called the wife. still no hot water, and breaker is not tripped.

this all started around 4am... pleanty of time has passed for there to be hot water.

edit: oh... not a 40+ gal. tank... its a small unit... 16 gal i think.
    Last edited by Silver86; 02-23-2011 at 12:15 PM.

did the pilot go out? ours did last winter...just a simple re-light.
    03 Terminator Vert
    06 TL

Quote Originally Posted by JC70SS View Post
    did the pilot go out? ours did last winter...just a simple re-light.
    THat was what I was about to ask
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

I thought he said it was electric...

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMax View Post
    I thought he said it was electric...
    dont think i did, but it is.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver86 View Post
    dont think i did, but it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver86 View Post
    (not sure how to describe the sound an electric water heater sounds when heating the water.)
    1968 Camaro 383

we have a semi frequent problem with the electric unit we have at the cabin. when it gets turned off and drained, the coils inside take a small amount of abuse. they're meant to be on all the time, regulating themselves, and cooling themselves with the water inside. if your breaker keeps tripping, i'd bet you ruined one of of both coils. if one coil went out say the top one, you'd get lukewarm water, then get the hot water from the bottom. or vice versa if the bottom coil went out. this can trip the breaker, but usually it trips the reset on the actual unit. i'd bet one of or both your coils are shot. they're super cheap, like 15 bucks. easy to replace too
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by theavenger333 View Post
    we have a semi frequent problem with the electric unit we have at the cabin. when it gets turned off and drained, the coils inside take a small amount of abuse. they're meant to be on all the time, regulating themselves, and cooling themselves with the water inside. if your breaker keeps tripping, i'd bet you ruined one of of both coils. if one coil went out say the top one, you'd get lukewarm water, then get the hot water from the bottom. or vice versa if the bottom coil went out. this can trip the breaker, but usually it trips the reset on the actual unit. i'd bet one of or both your coils are shot. they're super cheap, like 15 bucks. easy to replace too

exactly what it was... bottom coil is shot... going to drain it this evening and hopefully have it replaced so we can have hot water for the weekend...

great week to put the condo on the market... lol

if you can get the right replacement part, you can do it yourself if you can use a pipe wrench. the leads attach with small screws like an old UHF antenna, and the whole coil is a large bolt. if a socket fits it's like a 1" otherwise use a pipe wrench, it comes right out, very easy. take the old one with you and get the new one. install. make sure the heater tank is all the way full before turning it back on.
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by theavenger333 View Post
    if you can get the right replacement part, you can do it yourself if you can use a pipe wrench. the leads attach with small screws like an old UHF antenna, and the whole coil is a large bolt. if a socket fits it's like a 1" otherwise use a pipe wrench, it comes right out, very easy. take the old one with you and get the new one. install. make sure the heater tank is all the way full before turning it back on.

thanks for the tip!

thats what she said