Thread: Weeks

Hybrid View

Weeks

Extension signed......now just stay healthy.
    03 Terminator Vert
    06 TL

Weeks $50 million over the next five seasons. The fifth year essentially acts as an option, as the Brewers can opt out if Weeks isn't a full-time player in 2013 and 2014.

Very smart on the Brewers end for the opt out.

Very smart to finnal strike a deal also, they will need him in the years to come. But like you said Joe, he needs to stay healthy.

Not to be taken serious Karps TA's Avatar
    I'm very happy to see them get this done. He's very important to the team and was probably their biggest offensive weapon last year. The guy has taken way more grief then he deserves. If he wasn't stuck being a leadoff hitter, he'd probably be getting alot more press.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Great hitter...we can use his RBIs for sure. I hope this team is an offensive powerhouse like they have been + the pitching line-up we have. Hope to see some blowouts this year!!! Go Crew!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Last edited by Car Guy; 02-18-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Now let's see the Cards trade Poujols to the American league.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Karps TA View Post
    Now let's see the Cards trade Poujols to the American league.

Won't happen. Pujols will veto any trade. He wants to stay in STL, but doesn't want the distraction of contract talks during the season. I really don't blame him either. Come the end of the season if STL still can't work something out w/ him, he needs to be able to have a great season to show the other teams why they should give him the 10yr/$300 mil. he wants, and in my mind deserves. Anyone that says he doesn't deserve a much larger contract then A-Rod is an idiot. Pujols is by far the greatest player in the game right now, and if he keeps this up maybe one of the greatest of all time.
    Chicago is what you would get if Milwaukee had sex with it's sister. Said by a co-worker of mine arguing w/ somebody on how Milwaukee is better then Chicago.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    ^ I agree he is worth big money. The guy is an amazing hitter. Always fun to watch.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

If he wants a 10 year contract then he needs to go to the AL where he can DH. He's 32 (or so he says, I would never trust a latin american player on age).

Cardinals can't/won't pay him the money, then they need to get rid of him. They could get Texirea in a trade with the Yankees I would bet.

This isn't the steroid era, older players aren't still hitting 60 HR's in their final seasons. He's been a great player, I wouldn't bet on him staying that way or staying healthy. Most of last year he was bothered by nagging injuries. That only gets worse with age.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

I'm happy he's signed long term, if he stays healthy he'll be well worth it. Even hurt a little he'll probably be worth it. If he gets hurt all the time then well, probably not.

I still think Pujols ends up a Cardinal long term, he won't get 30 per year especially for 10 years. Sounds like a Cubs move though, overpaying especially when a player will be past his prime during much of the contract (Soriano) . He'll get 8 years/220 or something. He'll be awesome still the next few years then the last half of his next contract wherever it is, he'll just be a very overpaid player.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Quote Originally Posted by PB86MCSS View Post
    I'm happy he's signed long term, if he stays healthy he'll be well worth it. Even hurt a little he'll probably be worth it. If he gets hurt all the time then well, probably not.

I still think Pujols ends up a Cardinal long term, he won't get 30 per year especially for 10 years. Sounds like a Cubs move though, overpaying especially when a player will be past his prime during much of the contract (Soriano) . He'll get 8 years/220 or something. He'll be awesome still the next few years then the last half of his next contract wherever it is, he'll just be a very overpaid player.
    So you're saying he doesn't deserve to make more then A-Rod??? Or Cliff Lee??? I mean come on man, he's the greatest hitter of this generation (hasn't (yet) had any accusations of steriod use) and possibly in the top 10 or top 5 greatest hitters of ALL TIME
    Chicago is what you would get if Milwaukee had sex with it's sister. Said by a co-worker of mine arguing w/ somebody on how Milwaukee is better then Chicago.

Doesn't make a difference who it is. If I was running a club and having to write the check I'm not giving a 32 + player a 10 year guaranteed money contract. This isn't the steroid era where guys hit 50 plus home runs in their late 30's. I wouldn't give a player over 30 more then a 5 year contract period.

I don't give a shit what his stats were. I'm not paying him for what he did in the past.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

Exactly. You don't pay for past performance, you pay for how they will perform during their contract. A-Rod was talked about as the best of his generation too, he was about as good as Pujols, now a couple years in to his last big contract he has had some injuries as he gets older and while he's still a superstar, not on the same level he was or as Pujols. I think Pujols may do similarly as he ages. His defense is still good but already slipping a little according to some systems that keep track. Lee is a huge risk as awesome as he is now. Anything more than 4 years for a pitcher is crazy, IMO.

Ryan Howard got paid 25 per year too, in what will be one of the worst contracts very soon. He's already slipping and I believe about 31 years old.

Pujols will probably be worth 30-40 million the next 2-3 years, then the rest of the way 10-20, maybe less at the very end. He's a stud no doubt, but unless its a 5 year deal, no way he should or will get 30 per year. Fielder expects to get more than 20 per year as well, he might find a suitor for about that (Cubs, Rangers?) but there won't be that many teams willing to spend alot next winter for a bad fielding, bad body 1B. Getting off topic but it's all related, good, high paid and getting past their prime 1B .
    Last edited by PB86MCSS; 02-19-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares