Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Did you go to the courthouse yet and look at the documentation on the house? If it's in a subdivision or relatively modern (80s) most municipalities have quite a bit of documentation on the house... all the way back to a site plan. City of Waukesha is really good at maintaining documentation. In fact, if it was built in the 80s in Waukesha they actually have energy audit information.

The permits will be on file also and then you can look to see who/what/when did the work.

The courthouse is your best friend, better than a home inspector and any hack contractor that is moonlighting as a sidejob.

Further, you need to do some research of your own. I've found that most people in the wannabe inspection business (included "perfeshinall" tradespeople) is that if they aren't at least 60 years old they don't know shit. If they just do "new construction" then they're pretty much worthless for inspection purposes. It's amazing how many 35 year old HVAC people there are that don't know what vermiculite is.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

I have not gone to the courthouse yet to look at the records. I think that is a really good idea and I'm going to do that this week. I have the inspector scheduled for the 26th. I did have my father come up from Illinois to go over the house with me. We found a couple things that the home inspector will most likely hit them on. Not really anything large but none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    Did you go to the courthouse yet and look at the documentation on the house? If it's in a subdivision or relatively modern (80s) most municipalities have quite a bit of documentation on the house... all the way back to a site plan. City of Waukesha is really good at maintaining documentation. In fact, if it was built in the 80s in Waukesha they actually have energy audit information.

The permits will be on file also and then you can look to see who/what/when did the work.

The courthouse is your best friend, better than a home inspector and any hack contractor that is moonlighting as a sidejob.

Further, you need to do some research of your own. I've found that most people in the wannabe inspection business (included "perfeshinall" tradespeople) is that if they aren't at least 60 years old they don't know shit. If they just do "new construction" then they're pretty much worthless for inspection purposes. It's amazing how many 35 year old HVAC people there are that don't know what vermiculite is.