Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar

high mileage mustang?

I have an opportunity to get a higher mileage 1997 mustang 5 speed with the 4.6L SOHC motor. Car has about 170k miles. I haven't looked at it or driven it yet but is this something that should be avoided or could it be a decent vehicle? Just looking for something to drive. What are some things I should look for with that kind of mileage? What are some potential problems of a higher mileage 4.6 motor? What kind of mileage are those cars good for? I'm primarily looking for something just to last me a year, maybe two years tops. Any info is appreciated

Assuming it's hasn't been neglected, the only thing that seems to wear out on the engine are the chain guides. But those usually make it well past the 200k mark. Good cars, just underpowered (relatively speaking).

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Was gonna say prolly timing chain(s).
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar
    Well I'm not looking to modify it at all. Just looking for a cheaper daily driver with some of the niceties of a newer car (power windows locks etc...) and isn't entirely boring to drive
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax