Thread: GMT 400 swap

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries

GMT 400 swap

Does anyone know of anyone out there (forum, personally, etc) that has swapped an LS based/LQ based into the GMT 400 platform...ie 88-97 trucks 1500 series?

Our shop teacher is thinking of doing the swap and we're not seeing too much out there in the way who has done the swap...

I mean, how hard can it be...people are swapping LS's into everything
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

ls1truck.com
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    well, that was obvious, lol...thanks!
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

shouldn't be any more difficult than into any other truck. It can use the regular 350 _> ls engine mount adapters ($40) unless it was a big-block pig. Existing trans will work; if its a 700r4 youll need an adapter, otherwise the 4l60 or 4l80 will work fine.
    Wiring will still need to be done with a custom harness or modified ls harness. Fuel pump will probably need to be changed since many of those were TBI and ran at a much lower pressure.
    The thing I really don't know about is the transfer case, since I've never messed with a 4wd setup.
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    performancetrucks.net/ls1truck.com FullSizeChevy doesn't have much. You can actually find more on Pirate4x4.

The early LQ4/LQ9 had a different crankshaft so you'd need an adapter if you went with a different transmission.

If it's a TBI truck it's pretty easy as long as you pick an 01-02 and use either EFILive or hptuners.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    The early LQ4/LQ9 had a different crankshaft so you'd need an adapter if you went with a different transmission.

If it's a TBI truck it's pretty easy as long as you pick an 01-02 and use either EFILive or hptuners.
    I haven't seen an adapter, but I know you can swap the flywheel to bolt up correctly to the new transmission.
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e