increasing fuel mileage

I've got a 92 3500 4 door dually 4x4. 454 tbi with a 4l80e trans, I'm not sure what gears though. Plenty of power but not so good mileage. I get 10mpg towing or empty give or take. Thought maybe someday to upgrade to a newer diesel of the same truck but have seen that even the newer diesels only advertise 11mpg towing. Doesnt seem like much increase for the cost of the truck. So my question is, for less money than a newer truck, what can I do to this truck to increase mpg even by a little bit? Has stock single exhaust no cat with a larger muffler (cant remember brand) engine pretty much stock.
    2012 Street Glide
    1971 Vista Cruiser 455
    2003 Duramax Dually Silverado 4x4
    1986 442

Drive between 3 and 5 mph over MAX.
    Use the lowest SAE Viscosity Motor Oil allowed, in full synthetic. (0W-40)
    Inflate your tires to 2 psi ABOVE the rating in the door.
    Make sure your intake is clean as possible. Dirty butterflies / TB is a big issue with older vehicles.

Look into a K&N FIPK (intake and filter). I got 2.3mpg on my Silverado.

Outside of that, anyting you spend will most likely not be offset by the fuel savings. Exhaust will most likely take you years to offset. I know the K&N takes about 6 months of "normal" driving to offset.

A new diesel Dodge 1 ton could get as high as 21 mixed (hwy/cty). My Fahter-In-Law got a 2007 Cummins and I drove it for a week over Christmas. I was impressed by the mileage. He paid $17K.

make it lighter. less weight, more mileage.
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Not a cummins fan, would lean more towards duramax with an allison. Not much room for lightening especially if I'm towing a trailer. Looking into intake/filter options also.
    2012 Street Glide
    1971 Vista Cruiser 455
    1986 442

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    You're driving a vehicle that is shaped like a barn door. There is probably a ton of rolling resistance in the tires unless you keep them inflated to the maximum rating. It probably has 4.10 cogs in it (RPO code GT5 or GT8). If you've got tiny tires on it, I bet the engine is spinning pretty good. What does the tachometer say?

You aren't going to get a lot out of the peanut port heads.

If you aren't going to be driving it every day it doesn't matter what kind of mileage it gets. If you don't need the creature comforts of a modern truck then it doesn't matter either.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

I take it out of state and tow cars and thats where the mileage would be helpfull. Not an everyday driver around town but its the trips that I'm trying to improve. I'm not expecting miracles, major improvements are not expected. Any little bit helps.
    2012 Street Glide
    1971 Vista Cruiser 455
    1986 442

Unplug the timing connector under the passenger side dash. Check and set your base timing to around 6 degrees btdc. Factory is zero.Depending on the grade of fuel you run Listen for knock/pinging when towing and turn it down a degree at a time if heard. Low end torque= mileage. Keep your foot out of it.

its almost that time again Ricky Bobby's Avatar
    buddy with his 04 ram diesel with tuner he loaded he gets at least 17-18, also have a friend with a 99 ford hauler with the powerchoke and its stick all he does is tow for a living and he gets around the same as the ram maybe a couple less no tuner. He paid like 14k for his a yr ago has put on close to 100k in one yr, will be looking to upgrade soon maybe if this is something ur interested in

I would deff go with a diesel of some sore gas is just to me seems out dated for hauling anything now a days
    Last edited by Ricky Bobby; 01-31-2011 at 12:45 PM.

find something wrecked with a 6bt in it and do a swap. thats a solid truck for towing but the 454 with TBI isn't going to do much better than 10. my 84 4x4 with a 454 got 8 mpg going uphill downhill with the wind or against it...but mine had 4.56 gears and 32" tires. You can find a good used 6bt for <$1500 and swap it all in and keep your 4l80e for less than 3k including the price of the engine. won't be a bat out of hell but the old 12 valve will pull a barn down and get 20 mpg doing it
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
    He paid like 14k for his a yr ago has put on close to 100k in one yr, will be looking to upgrade soon maybe if this is something ur interested in
    I think you would be able to ice skate in hell before Matt drives a Ford, he is racist.....
    Last edited by Car Guy; 01-31-2011 at 01:20 PM.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm assuming, because well it's you, that the engine has good plugs and sensors....because that can make a fairly significant difference. On my wrangler just replacing the MAP/IAT/02 sensors netted me a nice gain in mileage and driveability.

As 1320pny points out, go with a lighter grade oil...AND make sure you don't overfill it, as excess windage can hurt mileage.

As far as the tire inflation, I'm closer to Wrath on this one...fill it up to the max inflation listed on the tire. It'll ride a little rougher, but you're rolling resistance will go down a nice amount...on my insight I used to run 55psi in the summer.

But I wholeheartedly agree w/ 1320 on the speed...no more than 2-3 over unloaded, and probably 5 under loaded (unless you're on a 55 mph speed zone, then 55 is a good speed).

Also, don't tailgate, but stick behind semi's a reasonable distance and pace them...not only do the do a good job of reducing wind drag, they do a pretty good job pacing. Going up hill they'll allow some speed to bleed, and pick up speed going down hill...both helping mileage.

Tailgating a semi, Andy (Cryptic) was able to get that old Green Jeep to get 24mpg!!! Keep in mind, this was nebraska...flat state, sure, but also has 75mph speed limits, to which we were mostly doing. True, he was following far closer than I would be comfortable doing, and so close the truck probably had no idea that he was there, but it gives you an idea of what's possible.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

its almost that time again Ricky Bobby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Guy View Post
    I think you would be able to ice skate in hell before Matt drives a Ford, he is racist.....
    yea i know just throwin it out there lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
    buddy with his 04 ram diesel with tuner he loaded he gets at least 17-18, also have a friend with a 99 ford hauler with the powerchoke and its stick all he does is tow for a living and he gets around the same as the ram maybe a couple less no tuner. He paid like 14k for his a yr ago has put on close to 100k in one yr, will be looking to upgrade soon maybe if this is something ur interested in

I would deff go with a diesel of some sore gas is just to me seems out dated for hauling anything now a days
    I'd love a truck like that...well, a GM but that style!
    2012 Street Glide
    1971 Vista Cruiser 455
    1986 442