02 Ford Explorer problems

Ok, so my fiance has an 02 Ford explorer, v6, 4x4. It is giving me problems, and I don't know where to start. Hopefully somebody here can point me in the right direction. Here is what is going on: When cold, if you hit the brakes hard, it dies and will not start for a while. Today, the check engine light/oil light/etc went on, and it wanted to keep dying at stop signs/lights. I know the engine is solid, had oil in it, and even started right up 8 hours later and ran/drove absolutely fine. Any help is appreciated.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

What are the DTCs?
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

The light is never on after it restarts. Sadly, these problems never happen the few times I drive it.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Did you plug in a code reader to see if there was a code?
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

I didn't this specific time, but other times this has happened there was no code to bring up with the code reader.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

I would start by testing the maf as well as checking the vac lines. Sounds to me like you might have a leak if it is dying when you hit the brakes
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

You can go to any auto parts store and have codes read for free. I'm sure you already know this but can't really tell you any ting without seeing codes.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
    You can go to any auto parts store and have codes read for free. I'm sure you already know this but can't really tell you any ting without seeing codes.
    If the check engine light is on then there should be a code stored. Something like what he is talking about, I am willing to bet that there is not a code stored, so that will get him no where fast. Best bet would be to hook up a vac gauge and check to see if there is a leak, as well as having the Maf checked out. Typically, these are the two things that would cause this problem on the v6 explorers, and my bet it is more of a vac issue than a maf issue especially if it happens when the brakes are applied hard.

Depending on the mileage, I would almost say that it is an intake manifold gasket that is starting to fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.