Snowmobile Clutch Help Needed

I have an older 86 Polaris Indy 500, that I bought from a guy on here 2 years ago. I got it running and have been using it on and off for the last 2 years. The last time I had it out the clutch stopped working and I ended up towing it off the trail with my dad's sled.

I had the cover open and looked at the belt, everything was good there. When you hit the gas the pulley just never squeezes over to grab the belt.

I know the guy I bought it from said the clutch was modified, but I don't remember what he said was done to it.

I've never worked on one of these so I'm just looking for some idea of what I need to do to fix it. I want to get it back together so I can run it this weekend at the races in New Berlin.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

so the primary clutch doesnt pinch the belt? I cant say i have ever seen one of those bind that bad.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

I'll talk to my dad tomorrow (he fixes stuff like this all the time it seems) and see what he thinks could be wrong.
    Chicago is what you would get if Milwaukee had sex with it's sister. Said by a co-worker of mine arguing w/ somebody on how Milwaukee is better then Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post
    so the primary clutch doesnt pinch the belt? I cant say i have ever seen one of those bind that bad.
    Yeah, when my dad was towing me it kind of started to grab a little when it was already moving but not enough to move the sled by itself.

Like I said the clutch is modded, just don't know what exactly is done to it. It engages higher in the RPM band and much harder than a stocker (brother inlaw has an identical sled that is bone stock) I think that would mean it has a heavier spring and lighter weights?

I'm wondering if it just needs to be taken apart and cleaned/lubed ?
    Kevin

it sounds like the sheave bushings are wiped out or somehow binding. If the clutch spring was broken,it would be stuck in constant engagement. for it to have happened on the trail,it doesnt sound like the weights could be stuck. more than likely,you will be shopping for a primary clutch and swapping the spring and weights(if the bushings in them are not wiped out also).
    if you want to pull the clutch off and bring it to the shop i can see what it really needs.
    under any circumstance,do NOT lube it. you will be wrecking belts faster than you can put them on.

If ron doesn't have the time I too can go through it also. Just did my 600 clutch.

Yeah it was wierd, I was on the trail, it was riding fine for the most part, although all weekend it seemed to be lackin power compared to normal. Then we stopped after a road crossing and I couldn't get it moving again.

I'll try and pull the clutch tonight and see whats going on. I don't have a clutch puller, any suggestions on other tools that would work? I have all the normal automotive puller type tools.
    Kevin

you need a polaris specific puller. Sportland should have one in stock,nice to have and prob not more than $30 or so. clutch cleaning/maint should be considered a yearly thing to do.

damn i used to have a primary off off an old xlt i just gave to a guy that picked up my two xlt's dirt cheap i'm pretty shure they woulda fit
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

It would have mounted but the ramps and weights would be diff from a 580/600 xlt

true but it shoulda stil worked for his use tho?
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

Well I picked up a clutch puller, but haven't had a chance to get out there and work on it yet, should be doing it tonight after work though.
    Kevin

So anyone have a decent clutch that will fit a 86 Indy 500 ?

We got the clutch off last night with the help of someone that knows what there doing, he looked at it and said it was complete shit and beyond rebuild.
    Kevin

Craigslist there is guys parting out indy trails left and right. Make sure its from a 500 a 600 or bigger is gonna be a headache for ya

Got it worked out, got the new clutch in. Then it was running all wierd and had no power, turned out to be a bad plug. Put the spares in and its back to normal, haulin ass.

Well be at the races tomorrow in new berlin, look for the red neck looking polaris that makes way to much noise, lol.
    Kevin

Look for me same year indy as yours. Says hillbilly express racing on the hood