The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar

Dodge Ram Wheel/Hub bearing

Anybody ever do one? I'm having a hard time removing the 3 bolts that go in from the back into the hub/bearing assembly by the CV boot. Even the shortest of the short socket still hits the CV joint. Is there a special trick for these things?

2005 1500 4wheel drive

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Done it on a 2wd...so didn't have to deal with a the CV joints. PM plum crazy...he's a mopar tech and an excellent resource for a question like this.

Is there a center nut on there that you can back out and tap the axle so it backs out and gives you clearance?
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Chrysler Certified Technician Plum Crazy's Avatar
    Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning

take the CV shaft nut off and push the CV shaft thru the hub, it wont go all the way, but it will give you clearance to remove the bolts. The shaft may need some persuading to go in. Screw the axle nut back on flush with the shaft and hit it with a hammer. We usually use an air hammer and put a pointed bit in the center of the axle to move it. If you gots any more questions, shoot me a PM.
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purple
    2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Flame Red
    1967 AMC Ambassador Convertible

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    Thanks! I appreciate it!

I had a pulley tool that I wraped around the hub and pressed the axle in with. Worked like a charm. Otherwise the axle wanted to keep pushing back out too far, the pulley tool held it in while I wrenched the bolts.

Thanks for the help guys.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Now the hard part..getting that hub out, lol...
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Chrysler Certified Technician Plum Crazy's Avatar
    Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    Now the hard part..getting that hub out, lol...
    Yup, i hope he's got a good hammer and some strength
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purple
    2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Flame Red
    1967 AMC Ambassador Convertible

5 pounder LOL
    "My cars got miles.... Garage queens, that's your style"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwII0k2bSpM

Ten years ago if you had 500HP you were the man. Now days that means you bought a new car

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    I've changed many GM ones with nothing but a MAPP torch, an 18mm wrench, a 1/2" chisel, and a 3lb hammer. I've had decent luck with turning the steering wheel also. PBB'laster helps but something that is an interference fit made of dissimilar metals pretty much points towards "oh bother". Can't say that it is particularly enjoyable.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Blog Entries
    I used an air hammer with good results on a sebring....

The 2wd I did it took maybe 4 or 5 good hits with a hammer and it fell out...
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Quote Originally Posted by Plum Crazy View Post
    Yup, i hope he's got a good hammer and some strength
    PB Blaster took care of it
    and my 4lb. hammer.

I just did my buick last week and couldn't figure out why they bolted thru the back instead of threading the rear and bolting thru the front they even put access holes in the hub from the front lol. I had to drop lower ball joint and pull the whole axel out cause the top bolt was stripped.
    2002 F150 supercrew- st8 pipe, SCT-3 w/custom tunes
    1999 Yamaha RoadStar Silverado
    2002 Honda vtx1800 - exhaust, programmer, hypercharger, lowered
    97.5 Regal GS - some small mods. (Grandpa's Sleeper)
    52 MG TD Replica VW powered ​FOR SALE