Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Ol' School

So my project begins.

I really thought that I was going to take this bike down to its frame and have that powder coated too but man this might just be more than I am willing to do on my own.

I have a few new things on order to go on:

K6 1000 fork legs
    K4 750 oem rear shock
    Custom seat cover from customcoversuk
    New strator case cover? Think thats it. left side of motor

Then its time to do the rest:

Powder coat rear subframe gloss black
    Powder coat swingarm gloss black
    Paint calipers bright red
    Powder coat wheels two tone (replacing paint job)

Want to get some new things once money lines back up again after those purchases. And I know exactly where to go for most of them.

Levers
    headlight
    upper fairing brace
    Braided steel brake lines
    Figure out something new for rear light assembly
    akra exhaust

Really want rear sets but damn expensive

started to look at the front forks and see whats needed to drop them out. Noticed the space at top and measured at 15.2mm fork above triple tree there. It was lowered by previous owners and didnt even know it.

now all that is left to do is get that swingarm out of there. Dont want to mess with that chain as its new but I guess that has to happen. Kinda wanted a red one to match the theme and guess thats the way I go now but truly dont want to open up that case where those clutch adjustments are.......been there done that. Got it right and dont want shit to get off again LOL

Like I always do took lots of pictures along the way for my own good to make sure I dont forget where something goes as this is my first time doing this type of job.

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

looks like a great start kelley
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Good progress.. cant wait to see it once it's finished up though.. sounds like its gonna turn out good

Ol' School
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    looks like a great start kelley
    Dude, what would it take to get down to the frame from here??? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 03Seville View Post
    Good progress.. cant wait to see it once it's finished up though.. sounds like its gonna turn out good
    told ya was gonna go after it LOL
    Last edited by MoCkiN U; 01-05-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

wtf? thought you sold it? either way i like the srads and sound like your gana have a nice lookin bike wen done
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

<div class="imlinks"> <div class="popupmenu vehicleaction"> <a class="popupctrl" href="#"><strong>Vehicles</strong></a> <ul class="popupbody popuphover vehicleaction_body"> <li class="left"><a href="http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/garage_ve
    cant wait to see it finished.
    2002 Trans AM Ws6 M6 Black on Black. Procharged
    2011 GMC Sierra All Terrain
    2009 Infiniti G37x

Ol' School
    Quote Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
    wtf? thought you sold it? either way i like the srads and sound like your gana have a nice lookin bike wen done

was trying hard to sell it. Then it didnt sell. Saw a statement dude made online "I have not once tested the limits of my bike but it routinely tests mine" and I knew that statement mirrored me and it was NOT time to get a bigger or different bike.

Soooooo.....turn some internet research and some tips from other owners and a bike I already own with no financing involved I can make it kinda trick with relative low cost.

wheels will go to hppowdercoating to get two tone work done and then hopefully find someone local who can pinstripe the red stripe back on them for me versus the vinyl stuff I used on my painted ones. My paint job came out great but its not the shade I wanted but these are for sure

Last edited by MoCkiN U; 01-05-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

very nice. i spose it would be cheaper to buy some new stuff for a bike you already own then to make payments and buy goodies. i need anouther bike i can play with lol
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

I don't know what levers you were looking into getting, but if you wanted something like asv, pazzo, or crg, you can save yourself some money if you don't mind buying from overseas. On ebay there is a seller named the2wheels that sells levers for $40 shipped for both clutch and brake. I bought these for my 600rr recently and they are awesome. A bunch of guys did a comparison of these to pazzo and they are extremely similar, at a fraction of the cost.

Other than that, I am also looking forward to seeing pictures of it done. Looks like you are off to a great start.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Ol' School
    ^saweet!!

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

Kelley, really all that's left is popping the triple choke off the frame and dropping the motor, 10 more bolts and the frame could be powder coated. You get the frame out and media blasted, I'll powdercoat it gloss black for you for cost
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

i do powdercoating for a living so if ya need a hand with something just give me a shout
    2008 Corvette Z06 (supercharged)
    2007 infinity G35x
    2006 honda cbr 1000rr
    2000 honda civic (daily driver)

Ol' School
    Man, the thing that worries me the most is all of that wiring and making sure it goes back in the right spot whether runs along left side or right side of the frame and such.

I would absolutely hate to get it this far broken down and not do the frame. I am taking the yokes off to powder coat already so there it would sit just the frame, motor, tank. Seems sooo far to go and not finish it.

Maybe I'll just go label nuts with it and document the shit out of it like I have in past and just jump in and see what happens.

How satisfying would it be to go that far and have it come out in one piece with absolutely no experience at all doing so before......... That alone is kinda motivating me to push forward

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

I say go for it. Pictures and labels are your friend. Worse comes to worse their has to be someone on this board that knows gixxers

Sent from my EVO 4G using tapatalk

Just do it! Take a ton of pictures, then you'll know how it goes back together...

I have a service manual on PDF for that if you need it.
    Also, I'd recommend doing a matte or semi-gloss black for the frame and swingarm. It'll look more "factory" that way.
    2010 Nissan TITAN
    2008 Suzuki Hayabusa

Ol' School
    service manual I have. camera I have. Tomorrow is D day. Its either "D"one or I stop where I am LOL

We shall see. If I can get it apart I am confident I can put it back.

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

You can DO it!!
    2010 Nissan TITAN
    2008 Suzuki Hayabusa

Ol' School
    I didnt get exactly where I wanted today because the bike was a bit much to control on my own. I had a few set backs in how I wanted it to go. First, I was wrenching on the shock bolts and the front forks came off the stand. Guess I was pushing on the frame a little too much with my body. Luckily I had prepared for something like that and I had wood blocks underneath the header to keep from smashing to the ground. All I had to do then was wrestle with the weight to get it set back on the jack stands evenly again and I used my floor jack to get it back up again but just couldnt get it on the stands so I set the fork legs on wood blocks.

Next, the overall weight was just a lot to deal with alone to try to get the motor out of there having never done it before. So now I'll have a buddy come over and help drop that motor out.

The stang is close to being sold and that will help give me some space to wrangle with it there too

did some labeling of various components I was taking off so knew where they went back to. I also took a TON of random pictures to know where little stuff will go again.

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

Senior Member..now yer posting! SSScottSS's Avatar
    Wow, what an undertaking!!! I betcha it's going to be the nicest SRAD around when you're done with it. I'd consider GsxrBots idea of going with a matte or semi-gloss black for the frame and swing arm, like the newer bikes have.

Keep us updated with pictures!

Ol' School
    I do agree. In the end that is probably the way to go.

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750