Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

High Speed Internet providers

I know this comes up often, did some searching and I haven't found just an internet deal form Uverse or any other local provider. Time Warner has been to my house several times over the past few months and I just can't get a consistent signal from them, for 50 bucks a month I think I should at least be getting 5 Megabit but I rarely get over 3.5 and I am paying for 7.

I contacted the 2 TWC employees here on the forum asking for help, but if they don't have any suggestions is there any other company that provides high speed internet in the Wauwatosa area for 50 bucks a month? I don't want cable or a home phone, just high speed internet.

Thanks
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

I did Uverse out here, mostly because that was the ONLY option. The phone ordering/ original install BS was a Joke, but now I have decent internet, no phone and its only $20 a month for a year. Then re-negotiate next year.
    I'll have to check how fast this is, the tech that finally came out told me that I was pretty far from the hub here and it would be a little slower.
    03 Audi RS6 -v8 twin turbo-
    02 Crewcab Dually -dropped and smoking on semi wheels -
    02 VW Jetta -1.8t will nevar lose-

I get Charter HD basic TV and Internets for $50 a month.
    Last edited by nismodave; 01-02-2011 at 09:48 PM.

its almost that time again Ricky Bobby's Avatar
    i contacted pork and will get it squared away either on our end or with his equip in his home but with a new line to the home and on his 3rd modem im leaning towards a faulty router, but i have also seen it come from the pole outside, just really hard to pin down if very intermittent, so lmk pork when u have taken out all routers and ran straight from the modem for day or so

Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar

I pay for the 7mb service

This is my 2nd router( not using wireless on this PC, the PC is wired direct to Router ), have it wired straight to the modem now and am averaging 8 mb/s with 3 tests about an hour apart.

Can you do a speedtest on that Uverse with speedtest.net ? I'm, curious to see how fast that 20 bucks a month is, thats 30 less then I pay now and I have techs at my house once a month.

I wish we had Charter in this area, 50 for cable AND internet sounds cheap. Is that highspeed Dave?
    Last edited by pOrk; 01-03-2011 at 12:40 PM.

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare View Post

I pay for the 7mb service
    Try testing off a server more then 50 miles away from the house, the internet is not based in Milwaukee

point taken

^ Failboat

BCM Rseident Grill Master Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    I wish we had Charter in this area, 50 for cable AND internet sounds cheap. Is that highspeed Dave?
    I believe it is as I have that also

^ Failboat

I dont think I can do anything about it

^ I would call and have it fixed, your paying for 7 and only getting 2/3's of it

have it wired straight to the modem now and am averaging 8 mb/s with 3 tests about an hour apart.
    so does that not answer ur ? right there if u are getting 8 out of the modem on 3 tests an hr apart that would point to ur router causing the problem we dont service ur own equip if its our router we cover it 100% but thats also 10bux more a month FYI

Not at all, since its now hitting 4.5 mb/s. They guarantee 7mb/s, and its never consistent. Thats the problem.

Just did 3 tests at different servers, average is now 4.2 mb/s

use the site i told u to use and none else and tell me what ur results are if it flux's or what like i said this is stuff i need to know

what do you recommend for speed tests?

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    This is what I just pulled while watching a movie on netflix. Not sure if charter is avail where you are but I've had zero issues.

$44.99
    Last edited by GTSLOW; 01-03-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
    This is what I just pulled while watching a movie on netflix. Not sure if charter is avail where you are but I've had zero issues.

Charters a separate company available only to madison and surrounding area in wisc. ... Either way it is the exact same service just diff providers. .. Operates the exact same...

Sent from my EVO 4G using tapatalk

That hasn't gone well. British_Ben's Avatar
    Try testing off a server more then 50 miles away from the house, the internet is not based in Milwaukee
    That's not quite how an ISP works. The guaranteed speed is from your house onto RR's network and not beyond. So your speed is guaranteed basically to somewhere between the 1st and 4th hop in RR's network. When you are hopping through 15 routers to do your speed test, you are definitely going to lose some speed. Especially if you consider which of RRs peers you may be going through and how much traffic is on it. Distant speed tests can and should be very sporadic.

The most accurate way to gauge your bandwidth is to find the closest server and/or do the speed test on RR's actual speed test site. Doing the speed test on RR's site will give you the actual speed from your ISP (RR) to your house. (http://speedtest.wi.rr.com/)

You could try a speedtest to New York on speedtest.net if you are dead set on distant speeds. That is a GigE pipe and will usually peg my connection both at work and at home. But again, if you don't jump on the right peer (out of your control), it could be dismal.