NHRA Fuel Cell Rules

I have been doing some research on NHRA rules as I start to build my car for the upcoming season and had some quesitons regarding fuel cell placement

Below is the following rule I am wondering about:

1.5 FUEL SYSTEMS
    Location: All fuel tanks, lines, pumps, valves etc., must be outside of the driver's compartment and within the confines of the frame and/or steel body. Cool cans, in full-bodied cars, must be mounted a minimum of 6-inches (15.2 cm) forward of firewall. Fuel blocks must be located at least 6-inches (15.2 cm) forward of the flywheel/bellhousing area

Since I have a hatchback there is no real way for me to mount the fuel cell out of the driver compartment by means of sheet metal seperation. Here is a picture of one of the locations I could place my fuel cell:

Would this pass tech?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

YES it would. all mounting bolts have tobe min 3/8 grade 8 you can have fule pump and filter in side trunk area also.. the main fuel line has to exit and run under car on the inside portion of frame rail... or through frame rail. you need to put a a steel or alum Fire wall. to seperate trunk area from in side car ... and you will need a roll over valve in fuel cell.
    CKSC

Quote Originally Posted by scottie K View Post
    YES it would. all mounting bolts have tobe min 3/8 grade 8 you can have fule pump and filter in side trunk area also.. the main fuel line has to exit and run under car on the inside portion of frame rail... or through frame rail. you need to put a a steel or alum Fire wall. to seperate trunk area from in side car ... and you will need a roll over valve in fuel cell.
    Thanks for the response. I just ordered a NHRA 2011 rulebook so I will be going over the rules more in depth.

All the information I have come across shows exactly what you just said. I will need some sort of firewall to seperate the cabin from the fuel cell.

no prob...
    CKSC

Quote Originally Posted by scottie K View Post
    Do I need to have sheet metal protecting the bottom of the cell since it's poly or just the firewall to separate the cabin?

You have to have some type of skid plate covering the sump. Depending on the power level /wheelies it's a good idea to have one anyway.

That almost looks to good to be true. And it looks like you can compartmentalize the cell between the rear tail light panel and the support in the picture. Toss some sheet in there and seal it.

Wish mine was that easy.

I "thought" the area of a hatchback being there is no barrier between driver was a no-no?

I had dismissed the location in my Starlet after seing other Starlets at GLD having a metal (alum or steel) barrier above there fuel cells.

If its ok to mount it in hatch area I will probably do so as well, under that tin is a service area to adjust my four link and the 8.8 rear is realy narrow and tight.

Here is a Starlet owner enclosing his:
    http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/000_0354.jpg

Here is another thread on the subject, had saved a bunch when I started my project but since deleted them:
    http://www.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=37566
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Google: hatch back fuel cell rules, lots of reading and all say the same thing Im afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleAron View Post
    You have to have some type of skid plate covering the sump. Depending on the power level /wheelies it's a good idea to have one anyway.
    Is the skid plate required if the sump is well up into the body? Example would be if I cut a hole for the sump in the picture I posted. The sump would be open and visible then but it would still be as high as the top of the differential.

I know what I am doing for the firewall on the inside but am still contemplating how todo the underside in the best manner.

the sump needs to be protected from any debris that may fly off the tires. so yes,it needs some tin covering it. It is usually cleanest to keep the sump inside the car and run a bulkhead fitting through the floor for the braided to go to the front.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post
    the sump needs to be protected from any debris that may fly off the tires. so yes,it needs some tin covering it. It is usually cleanest to keep the sump inside the car and run a bulkhead fitting through the floor for the braided to go to the front.
    Thanks for the response. I know how it has to be made then. A bit more work but it shouldn't be too hard to do and it should look clean when it is all said and done.

Hoping that my NHRA rulebook shows up today or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Z33Art View Post
    Thanks for the response. I know how it has to be made then. A bit more work but it shouldn't be too hard to do and it should look clean when it is all said and done.

Hoping that my NHRA rulebook shows up today or tomorrow.
    if you would like,feel free to stop by and look at mine(2010)
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post
    if you would like,feel free to stop by and look at mine(2010)
    I may take you up on that this week. I have vacation the rest of the week and I would have time to come over to the shop and look at those linkage arms we talked about a couple weeks ago if you want.

I came across this link with a decent install in a hatch.

http://www.fast351.com/cartech/fuelcellbox/

Mine will be similar to this.

Got my 2011 NHRA rulebook last night!

Great minds...got mine and reads the same as my 2008 NHRA and my 2009 IHRA
    We spent some time tonight looking at mine tonight, 2 gal below tin will clear axle with room to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jerome View Post
    Great minds...got mine and reads the same as my 2008 NHRA and my 2009 IHRA
    We spent some time tonight looking at mine tonight, 2 gal below tin will clear axle with room to spare.
    Very nice!

Ordered material today for the firewall. Got the design all squared away. Just got to order a Moroso access lid and I'm ready to get going on this part of my build.