Thread: iMac

iMac

I know you said you don't deal with Apple, but I have an iMac that I can't get my photo printer to work with. And for some reason I can't get my videos to play. Anyone you could recommend? Thanks for your time, Brad
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

Off the top of my head... no, I don't know of anyone (At least not in the area). My experience with iMacs is fairly limited so I also don't have any ideas off the top of my head. What kind of printer is it, and when you say "my videos" do you mean videos you created, or videos on the net, etc?

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Could you do something simple on a apple like a new hdd? A friend at work has one of those macs that the computer/screen is all one unit. I know they use a normal sata hdd but I'm worried I won't be able to get the thing back together.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    What version/how old is the iMac? If its a few years old it just might need a few downloadable updates. Click the Apple in the upper left of the screen and select "Software Update." Run the updates first and foremost.

If the vids are WMV just download a player. WMVs are Windows media...so to get them to play on a Mac you just need a player. Should work just fine. Otherwise what type of videos are they? Format?

The printer might need a driver to make the iMac and printer jive. Should be able to find that on the printer manufacturer's website.
    Last edited by jbiscuit; 12-13-2010 at 11:24 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Quote Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
    Could you do something simple on a apple like a new hdd? A friend at work has one of those macs that the computer/screen is all one unit. I know they use a normal sata hdd but I'm worried I won't be able to get the thing back together.
    You had to say "simple"... didn't you know that when it comes to Apple hardware, nothing is simple? Well, if it's the old TV-Tube ones, I can tell you flat out "no", I won't work on those. If it's a LCD all-in-one, I'll consider it. The biggest thing about getting any Apple product apart is having the right tools and knowing where to pry. You need some plastic pry tools (or spudgers) that won't mar the case and (usually) a T6 Torx screwdriver. See if you can get the model number and I will see if I can find a service manual so I can guestimate how long it will take. I've gotten pretty good at ripping the older (non-unibody) 15" and 17" Macbooks apart but I've never had an iMac apart.

LOL

As if apple would take something simple like Unix and make it complicated¿

At least now with Intel chip sets they can use windows on there hardware.
    A friend has one now, just for this very reason, in-case he gets a question about a mac, he likes the damn thing now, I on the other hand, will stick with Lanovo.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ND4SPD View Post
    You had to say "simple"... didn't you know that when it comes to Apple hardware, nothing is simple? Well, if it's the old TV-Tube ones, I can tell you flat out "no", I won't work on those. If it's a LCD all-in-one, I'll consider it. The biggest thing about getting any Apple product apart is having the right tools and knowing where to pry. You need some plastic pry tools (or spudgers) that won't mar the case and (usually) a T6 Torx screwdriver. See if you can get the model number and I will see if I can find a service manual so I can guestimate how long it will take. I've gotten pretty good at ripping the older (non-unibody) 15" and 17" Macbooks apart but I've never had an iMac apart.
    It is one of the newer lcd style.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taetsch Z-24 View Post
    LOL

As if apple would take something simple like Unix and make it complicated¿

At least now with Intel chip sets they can use windows on there hardware.
    A friend has one now, just for this very reason, in-case he gets a question about a mac, he likes the damn thing now, I on the other hand, will stick with Lanovo.
    Jobs had a hard time even letting that happen, he's been a firm believer of a fully designed/image (read his design) product. He even wanted the internals of their products to look sleek even though no one is supposed to see them because he loves the proprietary thing. Kind of a weird guy, and from what I understand an asshole to boot. Then again the artsy types always weird me out.
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

Quote Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
    It is one of the newer lcd style.
    Well, get the model number and I'll see what I can find for dis-assembly information.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxStang View Post
    Jobs had a hard time even letting that happen, he's been a firm believer of a fully designed/image (read his design) product. He even wanted the internals of their products to look sleek even though no one is supposed to see them because he loves the proprietary thing. Kind of a weird guy, and from what I understand an asshole to boot. Then again the artsy types always weird me out.
    So, we are on the same page here.

Chris

As long as 'ND4SPD' doesn't mind (and feel free to delete this post) I know a few guys that specialize with Mac repairs. iMac's are NOT fun to work on.
    --
    Jon

I don't mind. As mentioned, I don't service Apple right now. If their dealer requirements weren't so draconian I might consider becoming authorized, but at this point it doesn't look like it's worth the trouble and required investment. I do occasionally sell 3rd Party Refurbished Apple products. Usually they are a pretty good deal. For example right now I have about 10 Apple Ipod Touch 2nd Generation 16GBs that I'm selling for $199. They're all newly refurbished and have a 90 day warranty.

My brother works on anything that you could call a computer, I'll forward his info to you Brad
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Thanks! I keep getting the same update for the printer no matter how many times I install it.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

Yea being an apple service provider is a PITA. Even being in the consultants network is a lot of paperwork and hoops to jump thru.

My contacts are certified both in software and hardware, etc. Anyone wanting a referral just PM me.
    --
    Jon