Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Project Man Cave

That is...until I have kids, then this will be a play room.

Looking to have a budget of only $500.

The duck wall paper, glass tiles and trim are all coming down. Going to paint the walls a dark red. The orange bar chairs are going to get black vinyl paint. As for the floor, the carpet is going to stay seeing that it's only a couple years old. The vinyl flooring around the bar is going to get replaced with a tan-ish stone vinyl tile floor. Add a couple neon bar signs, a digital dart board and 30 inch LCD makes for a low budget man cave.

I'll post progress as I go.

Thanks for looking,

Josh

-Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

looks like a good starting point.but wtf, no mention of the large tv, gaming consoles or sound yet..lol

Looks like a solid plan. I will warn you and you probably already know, dark red is going to be a PITA to paint. Make sure you get a good quality paint with built in primer and be prepared to do at least 3 coats.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula View Post
    looks like a good starting point.but wtf, no mention of the large tv, gaming consoles or sound yet..lol
    I figure a 30 inch LCD is going to be half the budget. I might get a free foosball table (that needs repair), but I think the pinball and dartboard are enough.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by xxsn0blindxx View Post
    Looks like a solid plan. I will warn you and you probably already know, dark red is going to be a PITA to paint. Make sure you get a good quality paint with built in primer and be prepared to do at least 3 coats.
    Yeah the built in primer is the way to go, but the walls are white so after a killz-2 coat there shouldn't be a problem with stain through.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Going to need to upgrade to a real pinball (I litterally had that same model when I was 9) and I would suggest a projecter over the 30".

Still looks like an great start and plan though!

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, yours looks clean, wish I could have something that clean to start with but anyways I thought I'd throw my shit hole up.

I hate the wood paneling cause it makes it look small and I can hang up what I want to hang up. BTW: this is my Townhouse.

Last edited by Firefighter Z; 11-30-2010 at 07:32 PM.
    'Merica, Hell Yeah!

You should use a tinted primer, not a paint with primer built in. 3 coats of paint is a waste of money, and with a dark red, you could do 40 coats and still see white. Red doesn't hide. The darker the color, the worse the hide. Use a tinted primer like zinser 1,2,3, or kilz. The primer will be pink, but its just what you need to get you moving in the right direction. Home Depot has done an excellent job marketing a mediocre paint, the Behr premium plus with primer. You will be much happier if you use a tinted primer with a good paint like Benjamin Moore. I have a dark red living room, which was hospital white when I moved in. Tinted primer with Benjamin Moore Regal paint, 1 coat primer, 1 coat paint. Looks great.

Now for the basement, are you planning on doing anything with that nasty paneling? You could use that same primer on that paneling and paint that also, would look much nicer. And a 30"? Get a 42 at least, you won't save much money getting anything smaller.

I used to sell paint, and honestly the behr is the best bang for the buck. Benny moore is a name and thats it. Get the paint with the primer, you won't regret it... I've done red rooms with it and works like a charm...

When I bought the house we used Killz-2 on everything. We had a 70's house gone crazy that was never updated. Green, blue, red and wood paneling walls everywhere. Then we used Valspar ultra-premium (built in primer) and all of the walls look great.

The pinball machine is a classic, yea it's not new, but it's there for now, I like it.

Staying with my budget, the 30" LCD will have to do. I would like to get something bigger, but how many times will I go down there? It's good for now.

Here is a paint rough draft of what it will look like.

Rough draft.

Last edited by OxmanWI; 11-30-2010 at 11:56 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

What was the point of using kilz2 before using paint with primer? That was a waste of money. If the so called paint with primer works so well, why use a real primer first? Thats right, because the paint with primer doesn't work. Room looks nice

I used the behr primer + paint in 1 on my white garahe door to paint it dark blue, next time I will use tinted primer. It worked ok, but for the cost + time re-coating its not really worth it.
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

The reason we use Killz 2, is that it kills odors. The previous owners where smokers and had a couple dogs. We basically painted every square foot of the up stairs with Killz 2, walls, ceiling and floors. The only place you can still smell smoke and dog is in the basement. If you look in the first set of pictures you'll see that the walls are smoked stained.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

-Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

BCM Cruiser
    im liking what you want to do to the cave, let me know if u need help with the flooring...thats what i do
    03 Nissan 350z BUILT Greddy TT
    11.2 @ 128..... slow 2.0 60ft .....
    05 Titan DD

Minus the wallpaper and the wood paneling I didn't think it looked to bad.

Im not sure about the purple walls tho.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Looks good so far
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    Minus the wallpaper and the wood paneling I didn't think it looked to bad.

Im not sure about the purple walls tho.
    Where do you see purple? Maybe the color if off on your computer monitor?
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

no because if my color was off your Lightning sig would be off to and its bright red. My color is fine on my monitor.

The walls look maroon at best.

Still looks like your making good headway.

-Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird