Remington 700 accidental discharge

Has anyone heard of the accidental discharge issue that the Remington Model 700 has apparently been having since the 40's? I have had one for years, slid down a mountian on it (not on purpose of course) and haven't had any issue whatsoever. In fact I love the gun and the tight bolt action in particular.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/

I know there are quite a few gun enthusiasts on here that appear to be fairly well informed. What are your thought?
    Last edited by SilverHorse; 11-29-2010 at 08:58 PM.

"At least two dozen deaths and more than one hundred injuries have been linked to a possible design flaw in Remington's 700-series bolt-action rifle." "75 lawsuits stemming from alleged inadvertent discharges." Not saying that these are acceptable numbers but out of more then 5 million sold they are pretty low numbers due to a "possible design flaw". The spin the media can put on things is unbelievable. Just finished watching the .5 hour special on cnbc.

30-30 lever actions I've heard of having a lot of misfire issues. ridiculous how you have to unload them too.
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

I saw the show also. CNBC made Remington look bad for a variety of reasons, which is what they intended to do. If you Google "walker trigger design", you'll get an endless supply of reading material on the topic. Remington claims a lot of the misfires were caused by modified of improperly adjusted triggers. Hard to know where the truth lies.

Horse crap. Just another media hype job. Summer of the shark, hunting season of the killer Model 700, same thing.

As far as the "misfires" in older lever actions Andy was speaking of, they weren't (aren't) misfires, they are accidental discharges, there's a huge difference. And yes, they weren't the best design ever, but back then people had something called "brains", and it was expected that you used "common sense", that a gun is dangerous, just like a cup of hot coffee if you spill it in your lap. Sadly, in today's society, something that is as classic as a Pre-64 Winchester model 94 is seen as "dangerous" and "lacking in safety features". I know I have quiet a few in my collection, and I'm not dead yet! Hell, I even shot my 1st deer with one!

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    30-30 lever actions I've heard of having a lot of misfire issues. ridiculous how you have to unload them too.
    Qft

I witnessed somebody with a 30-30 shoot the ground unloading it..

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    No offense bob but they bought back my .17 hmr because the round blows out into the mag then blows up in your face,the 700 has enough documented issues that they should be repairing them or buying back the affected weapons. They are looking at the lawsuits to see if it will cost less to pay out then do a recall,dont kid yourselfs

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post
    No offense bob but they bought back my .17 hmr because the round blows out into the mag then blows up in your face,the 700 has enough documented issues that they should be repairing them or buying back the affected weapons. They are looking at the lawsuits to see if it will cost less to pay out then do a recall,dont kid yourselfs
    I thought that was traced to an ammo issue? I know when they first came out they recalled almost every round of .17 made by (I can't remember the ammo manufacturer).

And again, they aren't misfires in older lever actions, they are accidental discharges, there's a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by STANMAN View Post
    And again, they aren't misfires in older lever actions, they are accidental discharges, there's a huge difference.
    They are horrible for accidental discharges, I hunted with a lever action for 1 year when I was just starting to hunt and almost shot myself in the foot with it - last year I ever used one of them. They are not the greatest design you just need to be a little more careful with them but accidental discharge was still my fault.

Back to the 700, the other thing that pissed me off about the show was that they found 1 or 2 people from remington that would talk bad about the design and those were their "expert" whitnesses. Also the documents that they were using as proof that it is an actual issue were dated in the 1960's. What a bunch of BS! And of course they throw the back handed comment in the end that no communications were returned by Remington. Well of course not - they already knew the way the story was going to be slanted. No wonder why I don't watch the news!

Ol' School Ron North's Jewels Champion
    I saw that on tv a couple months ago. Very interesting. Just curious on how much the media blew out of proportion. I just feel bad for that family that lost their son

Post whore
    Rule number 1 of 3, always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, simple as that folks...
    2005 DSOM Corvette, Z51, M6, Z06 Mufflers

From what I heard, in most of the cases where this happened the rifles had been woefully neglected, weren't cleaned, etc... What's the first thing you learn about a safety... "A SAFETY IS A MECHANICAL DEVICE SUBJECT TO FAILURE"

Quote Originally Posted by ND4SPD View Post
    From what I heard, in most of the cases where this happened the rifles had been woefully neglected, weren't cleaned, etc... What's the first thing you learn about a safety... "A SAFETY IS A MECHANICAL DEVICE SUBJECT TO FAILURE"
    i swear.. my finger wasn't on the trigger.... ya right.. they make such a huge deal about negligent discharges out here its ridiculous.. if people know how to treat the shit and not be a complete retard, they would be fine. they want us to clear our weapons 10 times a day out here, even if we never chamber a round or load a mag, ( i never leave the wire ) its overkill, i know theirs not a round in my weapon.. hell i could prolly walk around all year with one in the chamber with the safety off and still not have a ND.. its just simple rules and common since and not fucking around with your weapon...
    2011 Legacy
    Grocery Getter

Quote Originally Posted by STANMAN View Post
    Horse crap. Just another media hype job. Summer of the shark, hunting season of the killer Model 700, same thing.

As far as the "misfires" in older lever actions Andy was speaking of, they weren't (aren't) misfires, they are accidental discharges, there's a huge difference. And yes, they weren't the best design ever, but back then people had something called "brains", and it was expected that you used "common sense", that a gun is dangerous, just like a cup of hot coffee if you spill it in your lap. Sadly, in today's society, something that is as classic as a Pre-64 Winchester model 94 is seen as "dangerous" and "lacking in safety features". I know I have quiet a few in my collection, and I'm not dead yet! Hell, I even shot my 1st deer with one!
    I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

Quote Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
    Qft

I witnessed somebody with a 30-30 shoot the ground unloading it..
    Finger out of the trigger loop....pay attention. How fast was they guy trying to unload it?? There was probably the problem.

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    a accidental discharge is more of a safety issue than a miss fire,you can leave a misfired round chambered and pointed in a safe direction.a accidental discharge can happen at any time not giving the user a chance to have the muzzle in a safe direction.
    The remington semi auto hmr 17 were not built strong enough for the ammo,thats why the guns blow up in peoples faces,the gun should have been produced better to handle to ammo produced,or not made at all.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

I watched the CNBC report on this, according to the designer of the Remington 700, he became aware of this issue and sent in multiple reports to Remington to make the modifications to fix the issue. It would have cost 5 cents per gun if I am correct but Remington denied his request.

1983 5-SP GT - 1 of 1001
    351w - H/C/I - boosted