Senior Member..now yer posting!

03 chevy z71 lost 2 quarts of oil??

Not too familer with this motor. 5.3l . My dad Has about 130k miles and hasnt gave any issues. Oil was 2 qt's low. My dad does the oil changes himself.

What should I look for besides the obvious leaks?(havent gotten under it yet.)

What are the common issues with these motors.

Other thought is it was just serviced at midas for shocks/brakes/tires/wheel bearing and maybe they drained a little oil out of it so he would come back, never know?

thanks in advance

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Burning oil is normal for this engine new, much less w/ 130K, so I doubt you'll find a leak.

What's important is the rate that it consumes oil. How many miles did you go, and what kind of driving was it, did it take to consume the 2 qts?
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

That and GM's definition of "normal" oil consumption is I believe 1qt every 1500mi. That's for vehicles within 3/36 years/mileage limits. Add the time and miles you've got and watch that soar. Buy a case of spare oil if in fact it is using a lot of oil and live with it, otherwise you would probably be looking at a re-ring scenario. High oil consumption is also a common complaint on the new body style C/K trucks.
    GM World Class Certified Technician

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    I will talk to my dad here this weekend more about it.

Thanks for the replies.

Ben, aren't all the pistons I have in back from 5.3's with high oil consumption issues?

Couldn't Jake just clean them up and throw new rings on them and be good to go?

Chris, I'm sure they are. It wouldn't hurt to just re-ring them and throw them in, especially at the price you can get them for....
    GM World Class Certified Technician

I know from experience if you go way over on the oil changes it will burn it pretty quick.
    2002 F150 supercrew- st8 pipe, SCT-3 w/custom tunes
    1999 Yamaha RoadStar Silverado
    2002 Honda vtx1800 - exhaust, programmer, hypercharger, lowered
    97.5 Regal GS - some small mods. (Grandpa's Sleeper)
    52 MG TD Replica VW powered ​FOR SALE

Jake,
    I have a set of pistons for ya. Just get a set of rings, wrist pin clips and a oil pan gasket (maybe new rod bearings if you wanted too) and your good to go.

This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    This would be really comical if it weren't so true... Oil burning is expected and normal.
    Its 2010, unless your Mazda and running a Wankel, why should burning relatively large amounts of oil be ok? I'm surprised customers put up with this crap.

Does re-ringing actually solve the problem, or does it come back?
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    some amounts of oil always has to burn, no matter the engine...it's the amounts and whether it's excessive or not.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    Sorry, I should have phrased that better, excessive oil burning. Though I should say no car I've ever owned has burned a substantial amount of oil, nothing like these trucks.
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

Quote Originally Posted by FoxStang View Post
    This would be really comical if it weren't so true... Oil burning is expected and normal.
    Its 2010, unless your Mazda and running a Wankel, why should burning relatively large amounts of oil be ok? I'm surprised customers put up with this crap.

Actually more common than you think, and it seems manufacturers have been going inthe direction of MORE oil burning lol.

Many many newer higher performance engines are designed with things like lower tension rings, smoother cylinder finish, lighter weight synthetic oils such as 0w-20, etc. for performance and mileage reasons but many of those features cause more oil burning. Engines like from the one being discussed here to the Cadillac Northstar to tons of others are well known for oil burning being the norm.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxStang View Post

With people who do not change oil enough, yes it is very common.

Even my new engine in the GTO with 34K on it uses oil (5W30 M-1). I'm OK with it, I know why the dip stick was made.

5W40 in both of my LS based engines and I only burn some(bout a qt) in the Formula depending on how hard I beat on it and how long between oil changes. Even then you can see it out the tailpipes..lol Our truck now has 210k and doesnt even burn a qt within 5k miles!

The two trucks we have had at work..... would have been lucky for a oil change every 5k...

I Think I am going to switch to M1 0w-40 this summer, for all the 6800 shifts I do