Got within 10 feet of 5 Whitetail Deer...

I was walking my Great Dane Shelby on the walk / bike trails off National Ave today...

I was about 10 minutes into the walk when I heard a bunch of noise just off the trail in front of me.....I had no idea what the noise was since the cat tails are about 6 feet high there...

I then seen a couple nice size Whitetail deer come out and cross the trail and sure enough more where behind them.....I seen a total of 5 deer and they were not spooked at all even though I was getting closer to them with every step....

They were all just standing on the trail staring at my dog !

I NEVER thought I would get within 10 feet of them though .....

They were not scared in the least bit of my dog or me , I really think my dog was the reason....

Then , once I got within 10 feet I stopped and the biggest one starting looking around and then ran off with the others following close behind....

I could tell the deer were really " wondering " about what the hell my dog was , the first two who first cross the trail even came back to see us....

Ol' School Ron North's Jewels Champion
    Did your dog just stand there looking at them or was your dog getting excited to see it. When i was at my apartment a deer came running towards my dog and got about 50' away and my dog was going nuts Giving her deep defensive bark. The deer looked at us and ran off.

I have no idea where I am 94greenbandit's Avatar
    They probably thought your dog was a deer.

^^^I could see a large GD looking like maybe a young deer.
    Chicago is what you would get if Milwaukee had sex with it's sister. Said by a co-worker of mine arguing w/ somebody on how Milwaukee is better then Chicago.

The house I wanted off National and the Root river has deer that are freindlier than most dogs.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Deer

Quote Originally Posted by Silver350 View Post
    Did your dog just stand there looking at them or was your dog getting excited to see it.
    Shelby was very uninterested in the deer for the most part. I thought she was not seeing them but , as we got closer she would look at them ....

I think that's the deal with this is that the deer might have thought she was another deer and since she was not reacting in any way to them they felt safe....

Once we got right up to them ( 10 feet ) Shelby really did not care that they were there ...Only after the biggest one took off did Shelby kind of start wanting to chase them....

Some of the deer were even not paying attention to us when we were the closest, they were looking down or away from us , they did all stare at us ( 75 feet away ) when they did first spot us though...

I wonder why Shelby was so uninterested in them even up close like that ?