Tell me about Coyote hunting...

I've never hunted anything before, but I want to try it. I really want to try coyote hunting. I checked the DNR's website and I can't make sense out of what kind of license I need. Is it just a regular small game license?

Where is a good place to go that's not TOO far away for coyote? (A few hours is OK but I don't want to spend my whole day driving).

Any tips or hints or suggestions as to hunting them? Websites to check out?

I know, I'm a total newbie... but I figured better to ask than to try and figure it all out on my own.

Small game license covers it and I believe its open year round. You can shoot them with a bow under the archery license too. I know more guys do it in winter but I dont know where a good spot around here would be. A private farm probably would be best and land owners usually want to get rid of em anyhow.
    2002 F150 supercrew- st8 pipe, SCT-3 w/custom tunes
    1999 Yamaha RoadStar Silverado
    2002 Honda vtx1800 - exhaust, programmer, hypercharger, lowered
    97.5 Regal GS - some small mods. (Grandpa's Sleeper)
    52 MG TD Replica VW powered ​FOR SALE

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar
    I was under the impression (and I could be very wrong) that you're allowed to shoot coyotes on a farm without a license because they're pests? This was 10 years ago or so when I was told just after I had one run past me.

Either way, I know there isn't a bag limit, and there's very few restrictions. I think there's something about deer gun season, which is fast approaching.

It's an obsession of mine in the winter time. I already have people calling me to come take care of some. They're getting pretty brave nowadays!

As soon as bowhunting is over for me, I will move on to coyotes. I'll give you a holler when I have a hunt planned and you're welcome to tag along but most of them are last minute when I have a few hours to kill.

That would be awesome. ^^ With my work schedule it may be tough to tag along (especially on short notice) but hopefully I can at least once.

The deer season rule only applies to the northern part of the state.

dirty max can you add me to tag along sometime? I can pm you my info I also would love to try this
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

No doubt. If you could secure some permission to hunt any farms up your way, that would be cool too!! Most people, especially farmers, have no problem letting a crew come take out a few varmints.

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMax View Post
    It's an obsession of mine in the winter time. I already have people calling me to come take care of some. They're getting pretty brave nowadays!

As soon as bowhunting is over for me, I will move on to coyotes. I'll give you a holler when I have a hunt planned and you're welcome to tag along but most of them are last minute when I have a few hours to kill.
    Lol, sorry
    2005 DSOM Corvette, Z51, M6, Z06 Mufflers

Went out with a buddy on a total last minute whim tonight. Saw 5, shot 4. I will get some of the crappy pics off of my phone later.

During one set, my friend laid in the field and called. Three came in. One of the coyotes made a bee line right for him and came within 15 feet. I thought it was going to jump him.

By far our most productive outing to date!

last i knew you can kill coyotes in wisconsin whenever you want....
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Pretty much but it's a heck of a lot easier with some moonlight and snow cover that's for sure. All you need is a small game license. You just have to be careful down here because a lot of cities have firearms ordinances. In general, the rules are pretty laxed and alot of the homeowners and farmers want them gone.

Did you get my PM BTW??

Here are a few pics:

Last edited by DirtyMax; 02-24-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Nice! Pretty nice sized coyotes too!
    "LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT"

'95 Rio Red Cobra 347 stroked SOLD!!
    '73 Mach 1 351 2v mostly stock
    '07 Harley Davidson Nightster 1200XLN SOLD!!
    '06 GMC Envoy (wifes DD)
    '03 Ford F150 XLT FX4 (DD)

WTF you do with them. I'm guessing you could do something with the furs, but do ppl also eat the meat??
    Chicago is what you would get if Milwaukee had sex with it's sister. Said by a co-worker of mine arguing w/ somebody on how Milwaukee is better then Chicago.

The furs are tanned. We have a guy who takes them. The carcasses are disposed of.... or dropped off at the nearest Taco Bell...

Coyote season is open year round with a small game lic. or if you are a landowner you don't need to buy a small game lic. if you hunt your property. Season is closed during gun deer season during daytime hunting hours.

Check out predatormasters.com, lots of info there.

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP