Silverado rear diff soundin angry

My 98 silverado is making similar to a soft Dr,Dr,Dr, sound when I am on the gas. I just replaced the u joints because when I jacked it up and ran it in gear I couldnt tell if it was the rear joint or the diff

I just replaced the rear fluid in it and it looked good and no teeth looked messed up.

I can spin the rear diff with the driveshaft off and it doesnt make a sound at all. Only when power is applied from the shaft. I took the shaft out and drove it a lil in 4WD and it doesnt make a sound.....I know its a shot in the dark but anybody have a idea?
    Last edited by Sprayaway Fox; 10-21-2010 at 07:11 PM.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

clicking sound, more when Turing?

is it a G80 Diff? (poise?)

Chris

Yes it is. Have any ideas?

I scored a 14 bolt heavy half of CL with the right gears and swapped them out this weekend. But still, If its something that could be fixed without a whole teardown I might keep it instead of junking it.

The pinion doesnt have any play in it and when jacked up the driver side wheel turns for some reason but the passenger side just sits there and moves a lil bit once in a while. Its weird.

And its only when on the gas. No matter if your going straight or turning. And the shaft had new U joints on it. If you have any ideas though dont be afraid to throw them out there.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

Sounds like the dif (carrier) is shot. clutches may be toast, you could try changing the fluid with M1 75-90 and GM LSD additive.

when the cover is off, take a look at the clutches, see if any have cracks, or if any chunks are in the diff oil.

Chris