Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

350z LS1/TH400 Swap

Hey everyone. I have been hearing I should join BCM for quite some time from a number of friends that are on the forums and I finally decided to take the time to register.

Since there isn't an introductions forum, I figured I would startup with a thread about my recent project that I just completed.

About seven months ago I started swapping an LS1 and TH400 into my 04 Nissan 350z and it has finally been completed! All custom parts such as mounts, intake, exhaust and headers were fabricated by myself.
    Let me know what you guys think!

Parts Breakdown:
    1) 2001 5.7L LS1
    2) TCI Built TH400 w/Valve Body
    3) TCI Torque Converter w/3600 rpm Stall
    4) TCI Flexplate
    5) Driveshaft Shop Custom Driveshaft
    6) B&M Pro Ratchet Shifter
    7) Electromotive TEC GT Standalone ECM
    8) Electromotive Standalone Direct Fire Ignition Units
    9) Derale Transmission Cooler
    10) Howe Custom Double Pass Radiator
    11) Summit Racing Crank Dampner
    12) Moroso Coolant Expansion Tank
    13) Canton Modified Oil Pan
    14) Jantzer Performance Throttle Body
    15) FAST fuel rails
    16) Speedhut Tachometer
    17) 350z Factory Alternator/Power Steering Pump/Sensors
    18) Summit X-Pipe
    19) Moroso Spiral Flow Mufflers
    20) Custom Headers
    21) Magnecor Ignition Wires

As of right now I am not doing any internal to the motor. Over winter I am looking to do a cam and an intake manifold. Now on to pictures!

Video!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XKH-OgzLGQM...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XKH-OgzLGQM...n_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm hoping to do some more to the motor this winter so I think this forum will be a great resource for information!

I am hoping to make it to GLD sometime this week or next week. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to meet some of the members on the forums!

now thats bad ass!!!
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

Whoa!!!!!!!!! Impressive!
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    One day we will have muscle cars again....
    -Jimmy E.

holy shit that is badass! welcome to the site! what made you decide to swap a new motor into the Z in the first place?
    I offer online scheduling using BookFresh

This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    You should change the back badge to 570Z, throw people for a loop. Looks like a good quality swap!
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    The VQ is such a capable motor I can't say I would ever take it out in favor of an ls1 but at least it is pretty unique. You don't hear about too many ls swapped z33s that's for sure.

Welcome, i have followed your build on WIZCREW on an off. very badass car.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    The VQ is such a capable motor I can't say I would ever take it out in favor of an ls1 but at least it is pretty unique. You don't hear about too many ls swapped z33s that's for sure.
    More capable than an ls series....no.

That car is sweet that motor looks right at home in there!
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula View Post
    holy shit that is badass! welcome to the site! what made you decide to swap a new motor into the Z in the first place?
    As you can see from the first pictures in the video of my first two builds my car was too modified to sell for a decent return. I was getting sick of how expensive VQ parts were and how big of a PITA the electronics were. Basically just decided to put something in that was more reliable, easier to make power on and had a better aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    The VQ is definitely a capable V6 but it was always nothing but problems. Parts were overpriced also.

awesome build....looks good and welcome!

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

my kind of swap, nice work
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e

Im not a fan of putting Chevy motors in Nissans.

But the work you did is top notch.

Awesome! I hope to see it around sometime.
    2007 Lexus LS460
    2013 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
    2011 Toyota Camry SE V6

Cool azz ride!
    2001 Vic P71
    A few bolt-ons.....
    14.774@ 94.09 w/2.256 60' time.

finally watched the vids. that car sounds awesome!

turbo VQ < turbo LS1 nuff said its expensive top turbo the stock motor and not so much an ls1. i personally wouldn't have the time to do such a cool swap but if i had the money i would definatly do it and i agree with the 570z badges work some up that would be bad ass
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

Quote Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
    turbo VQ < turbo LS1 nuff said its expensive top turbo the stock motor and not so much an ls1. i personally wouldn't have the time to do such a cool swap but if i had the money i would definatly do it and i agree with the 570z badges work some up that would be bad ass
    I 100% agree that any mod, let alone forced induction, will be significantly easier and cheaper to do on the LS1 compared to the VQ. Not to mention more reliable! I actually have more room with the V8 than I did the V6. I could easily put a roots or twin screw on top with the stock hood or a large single.

My friend knows someone who can do the "570" portion of the badges for me. Hoping to do it when I get time.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula View Post
    finally watched the vids. that car sounds awesome!
    Thank you!

It is LT's into a dual 3" with x-pipe and two Moroso spiral flow mufflers with turndowns right before the differential. I have a feeling I could have easily done over 330whp with different mufflers. They basically have a 2" tube through the center with a spiral around the tube. Supposedly the spiral creates a negaitive pressure on the back side to help scavenge more through the center without losing power. Don't know how much I believe that though.