Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

95 LT1 - Looking to add more power in spring

I have a 6 Speed 95 LT1 with the 1LE package and I just hit 46,500 miles. The car has cold air intake, long tube headers, 3 inch exhaust and a catback. I'm hoping to add between 150 and 200 horsepower but I don't want to break the bank doing so. I'm thinking maybe some head work, boring the engine and maybe a cam upgrade. Any suggestions on head and cam combinations that can give me that much power or any other options that might help achieve the additional power that I’m looking for? I'll appreciate any suggestions fellow BCM members can offer.

Race Transmission Rebuilder twicks69's Avatar
    Contact 95TA-The Beast -- http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/member.php?u=82

He can talk your ear off about heavily modifying the LT1 and can help you out with the buildup or parts selection.

If you need his number, I can see about that. For now, contact him via PM.
    Tim Zimmer
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.49@148mph, street trim.
    ----------------------------
    2005 Subaru Outback Limited
    -- Winter Beater --

Just some slow stock shit! scaleracer's Avatar
    It's not cheap to build but depends on how far you go with it. I have a spare lt1 motor out of a 95 Z already taken apart if your interested and don't want to mess with the one in your car.
    01 Camaro SS - Daily
    90 Mustang Lx - Daily #2
    4-0 on the street for 2010!

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    The first thing you need to decide is how much you're willing to spend. Going bigger cubes with the mentioned mods would imo definately break the bank. Dependin g on what your bidget is would help decide what you can really do.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Senior Member..now yer posting! outlawgibbs's Avatar
    150hp of a budget????

Nitrous Oxide

Eh, diving in with a LT1. Do some research and you will find that LT1s produce massive power but its never cheap. You should have went LS1 if you want to pinch pennies.
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    One day we will have muscle cars again....
    -Jimmy E.

Quote Originally Posted by twicks69 View Post
    Contact 95TA-The Beast -- http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/member.php?u=82

He can talk your ear off about heavily modifying the LT1 and can help you out with the buildup or parts selection.

If you need his number, I can see about that. For now, contact him via PM.
    Thanks very much. I'll send him a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
    The first thing you need to decide is how much you're willing to spend. Going bigger cubes with the mentioned mods would imo definately break the bank. Dependin g on what your bidget is would help decide what you can really do.
    I'm hoping to spend between $2500 and $3000 on parts.

Quote Originally Posted by outlawgibbs View Post
    150hp of a budget????

Nitrous Oxide
    I've been told by a couple of people to stay away from NOS. Apparently it will drastically reduce the life of the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSST View Post
    Eh, diving in with a LT1. Do some research and you will find that LT1s produce massive power but its never cheap. You should have went LS1 if you want to pinch pennies.
    I've been doing some research online and it looks like people generally start with head and cam swaps and then progress to turbo or superchargers. I'm hoping to spend between $2500 and $3000 on parts for now. Later on i might dump a bit more money in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by outlawgibbs View Post
    150hp of a budget????

Nitrous Oxide
    This will more than likely be the best for the budget.....or you can try a blower

Quote Originally Posted by Miezah-95ILEZ28 View Post
    I'm hoping to spend between $2500 and $3000 on parts.
    I've been doing some research online and it looks like people generally start with head and cam swaps and then progress to turbo or superchargers. I'm hoping to spend between $2500 and $3000 on parts for now. Later on i might dump a bit more money in the car.
    See above
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

[QUOTE=Nutwaver;673225]This will more than likely be the best for the budget.....or you can try a blower

I wouldn't mind a used blower. Hopefully i can find someone with a used one.

if i were in your shoes,i would be looking at the AI heads/cam package. you will also need bigger injectors and decent exhaust etc.
    http://advancedinduction.com/
    They seem to have a handle on a kickass cnc program for lt1,ive seen great results from their combos.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

I'm telling you man, only the experienced mechanic or money man can deal with the LT1 like your trying too. There's is no coincidence that GM stop putting that motor in their performance cars and trucks. Like I said, massive power but its not easy. Keyword for you, optispark, worse thing ever. When I had my 97 Z28 with 47K on the dash, I kept hearing I should have went LS1, glad I eventually did. The LT1 is a great motor if you plan to leave it as is. Plus if your budget is 3k, you can start a build but nothing will survive if you dont purchase parts to match the power. Then you'll be sitting with a broke vehicle and empty pockets.
    Last edited by GHOSST; 10-19-2010 at 09:08 PM.
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    -Jimmy E.

Looking for Fozy parts Want_Notch's Avatar
    eh. spray it until the rods come out
    2001 Subaru Forester

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSST View Post
    I'm telling you man, only the experienced mechanic or money man can deal with the LT1 like your trying too. There's is no coincidence that GM stop putting that motor in their performance cars and trucks. Like I said, massive power but its not easy. Keyword for you, optispark, worse thing ever. When I had my 97 Z28 with 47K on the dash, I kept hearing I should have went LS1, glad I eventually did. The LT1 is a great motor if you plan to leave it as is. Plus if your budget is 3k, you can start a build but nothing will survive if you dont purchase parts to match the power. Then you'll be sitting with a broke vehicle and empty pockets.
    I seem to recall a guy who built a junkyard LT1 that went 11s. It was in a Imp though, so I guess that doesnt count.
    WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFW
    WTFWTWFWTWFWTWFWT
    WTWFWTWFWTWFWTWFWTWTf

^^^ He had no fear of the spray though and knew what he was doing with it! Not so sure this guy is gonna be so ready to wack this car with a 250+ hit lol!! LT1's can be made to go fast on a reasonable budget IF you know what your doing on the part selection and tuning end of it.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    ^^^ He had no fear of the spray though and knew what he was doing with it! Not so sure this guy is gonna be so ready to wack this car with a 250+ hit lol!!
    Fine, then he is stuck going 12s with 1000 bucks into the motor. Or for cheaper than going the LS1 route, convert it to the LS1 computer and do whatever the fuck you want to it since you eliminated the weak part.
    WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFW
    WTFWTWFWTWFWTWFWT
    WTWFWTWFWTWFWTWFWTWTf

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    I seem to recall a guy who built a junkyard LT1 that went 11s. It was in a Imp though, so I guess that doesnt count.
    I know its not impossible, but like Tom said the guy knew what he was doing.

Like I was when I first dived into muscle with my 97 LT1 Camaro in 2003, I was trying to be budget minded with mediocre mechanical experience and little to no tools at the time. Its just supremely hard to get by with little to no money or experience with LT1, trust me. And if he doesn't want to destroy the motor for a little bit a pleasure and surely 12's, which its sounds like he can't and wont, that's why I say LS1, and the only reason.
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    -Jimmy E.

lol, jesus christ. It's not that hard. Just slap a cam in, play with a grinder on the heads and find someone to do a tune. Bam, 12s.
    WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFW
    WTFWTWFWTWFWTWFWT
    WTWFWTWFWTWFWTWFWTWTf

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    Alright really?

I had a 110k mile '93 Z28 6speed that had
    K&N Kit
    Hurst Shifter
    Centerforce DF Clutch(piece of shit)
    Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator(only really works on the '93s I guess)
    MSD Blaster Ignition Coil
    Had some garbage catalytic converter from an online place
    STOCK headers
    STOCK exhaust w/ an SLP two out the left muffler from a 3rd gen

That thing went 13.3 on regular old street tires at stock weight except for the spare tire/jack removed.

If you can't get 12's from headers/full exhaust/cam in that thing, burn it.

Otherwise like Ron said, those AI head/cam packages seem to be a pretty hot topic as of late. I seem to recall a guy going 11's in a b-body N/A with those head/cam package from a little northern WI

And let's say he didn't use the 250 shot, let's say he used a 150 shot, would that make up the 1000lb difference between the two cars? Then again maybe he doesnt even need it.

I personally think if he's gonna try and race it, and he's got $3000, well $2000 for the rear end and then $1000 for the cam and related hardware/tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    lol, jesus christ. It's not that hard. Just slap a cam in, play with a grinder on the heads and find someone to do a tune. Bam, 12s.
    high 12's maybe. He's gonna need some D/Rs or at least a decent rear end gear swap, none of which are cheap.

Before I crashed my 97, I had a mild Comp cam installed with port and polished heads, Hooker 1 7/8 inch comp headers (barely fit), ORY, Flowmaster cat-back, Moroso intake, Spec Stage 3 clutch/ resurfaced flywheel, and a crap Hypertech tune, and even with 2 brand new Nitto 555R D/Rs, and 555's up front I couldn't even keep it in a straight line with the stock rear end. Rear end was my next mod, but I wrecked it. But honestly with parts alone I was well into the $6000 range.

With my 2001 LS1 which are a dime a dozen now for price, nothing separates my SS from a Z28 drastically but a few HP's, and even with the few mods that came with mine from SLP like headers, intake and such, the extra weight of a vert sub body crap still pulled low 13's on stocky crap nexens. I'm sure I could reach high 12's if I cared too, with little cash.

just saying if I had $6000 right now to do mods on my LS1, I'd be roaring into the high 11's. Jesus!

fixed, I can see how it looked now, it was early.
    Last edited by GHOSST; 10-22-2010 at 02:18 AM.
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    -Jimmy E.