Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You are new to this whole car thing and making it go fast arent you?
    WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFW
    WTFWTWFWTWFWTWFWT
    WTWFWTWFWTWFWTWFWTWTf

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    You are new to this whole car thing and making it go fast arent you?
    No, I was back in 2003, I was green as grass. I see alot of my mistakes in this guy, almost identical setup. I also remember posting a thread about cheap LT1 power, its kinda funny. At that time I had no experience, but money to blow, hence all that crap I didn't need to get some good power. Come on now I bought a damn hypertech programmer, if I could go back and smack myself for that one I would. Don't let what I did to my 97 Camaro sum up my experience, I was just simply referencing money not well spent, alot of money not well spent. Terrible.

Like I said, if I cared to go fast now, and had $6000 to blow, I could make a decent setup out of my LS1 better than I could a LT1.

I guess my main argument is LS1 is cheaper power.
    Last edited by GHOSST; 10-21-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    One day we will have muscle cars again....
    -Jimmy E.

Problem is that for him, it's not. He has a LT1 car, not a LS1 car.
    WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFW
    WTFWTWFWTWFWTWFWT
    WTWFWTWFWTWFWTWFWTWTf

I seem to recall a guy who built a junkyard LT1 that went 11s. It was in a Imp though, so I guess that doesnt count.
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    ^^^ He had no fear of the spray though and knew what he was doing with it! Not so sure this guy is gonna be so ready to wack this car with a 250+ hit lol!! LT1's can be made to go fast on a reasonable budget IF you know what your doing on the part selection and tuning end of it.
    Fine, then he is stuck going 12s with 1000 bucks into the motor. Or for cheaper than going the LS1 route, convert it to the LS1 computer and do whatever the fuck you want to it since you eliminated the weak part.
    I seem to remember that same car ran low 13's against a mustang na.....I still have the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

I appreciate all the suggestions you guys have provided in the past few days. To answer a couple of questions, I'm not looking to build a track car. I don't know much about performance upgrades and I'll probably never make it to GLD. I just want to make my car a bit more fun to drive on the street and make it sound meaner than it currently is. In it's current state, I've been able to beat a couple of stock Mustang GTs so its not a slow car by any means. Although, a 98 Cobra with a Turbo setup beat me on 145 a couple weeks ago and that's one of the reasons why I'm thinking about actually adding some power. However, from what I've deduced so far, LS1 engines are easier to modify and as much as I wish mine were an LS1, its not. I loved the look, condition, mileage and sound of my car when I saw it and that's why I bought it. Maybe my next car will be an LS1 but for now I'm content with the LT1. Mechanically I've only had to replace the Opti Spark, ICU and water pump so I have nothing really to complain about the LT1. I just want it to be a bit faster during initial take off and when I downshift to pass on the highway. It looks like the heads/cam package and maybe a rear end upgrade suggested by a couple of people on here might do the trick. Sometime down the line I'll think about a turbo.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Fuck the ls1 swap go for pure power!!! Ford 4.6 swap!!!
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Post whore
    the LT1 is a great motor if you know what you are doing. Don't listen to all of this ls1 bullshit, sure it will make a bit more power for the mods but who cares, you have an lt1 so lets work with it. I had a 95' 6 speed Z a few years back and had it running pretty good.

I had all of the bolt on parts and a comp cams CC306 cam with the supporting valve train. Stock heads and stock motor, had 190k miles on it actually. The cam swap cost me about $1200 and it netted 368 rwhp. In a full weight car with the stock gears and a spec 4 clutch on drag radials it ran 12.3's @114 all day on a piss poor 1.95 60.' Throw in some gears and it was an 11 sec car easily.

Dyno:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7oldCq96Os

12.4 pass:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_lXvESyDY8

If you are good with a mid 12 second car go cam only, if you want to go easy 11's a heads cam combo from Advanced induction would be your best bet. At that point the rear may go out with a lot of abuse but i had over 100 passes on my stock 200k mile 10 bolt with no problems.
    2005 DSOM Corvette, Z51, M6, Z06 Mufflers

Quote Originally Posted by Miezah-95ILEZ28 View Post
    I appreciate all the suggestions you guys have provided in the past few days. To answer a couple of questions, I'm not looking to build a track car. I don't know much about performance upgrades and I'll probably never make it to GLD. I just want to make my car a bit more fun to drive on the street and make it sound meaner than it currently is. In it's current state, I've been able to beat a couple of stock Mustang GTs so its not a slow car by any means. Although, a 98 Cobra with a Turbo setup beat me on 145 a couple weeks ago and that's one of the reasons why I'm thinking about actually adding some power. However, from what I've deduced so far, LS1 engines are easier to modify and as much as I wish mine were an LS1, its not. I loved the look, condition, mileage and sound of my car when I saw it and that's why I bought it. Maybe my next car will be an LS1 but for now I'm content with the LT1. Mechanically I've only had to replace the Opti Spark, ICU and water pump so I have nothing really to complain about the LT1. I just want it to be a bit faster during initial take off and when I downshift to pass on the highway. It looks like the heads/cam package and maybe a rear end upgrade suggested by a couple of people on here might do the trick. Sometime down the line I'll think about a turbo.
    Man its like dejavu! I went through the same thing! Kudos man! I remember those mustang days. Just watch out for the many 8-11 second beasts out there. But honestly there is more than your fare share of 4.6 slouches and import wannabes out there, as well as green LT1/LS1 owners. You'll have fun if you make it a little more fun. If thats all you want, definitely heads and cam swap, and get a decent rear end, but do it all right!

eh, that damn opti spark! I had to replace my water pump too! Power steering pump as well. And all this around 50k. Enjoy yourself man. If your looking to spruce up the looks I have a few old 93-97 parts laying around back home in Milwaukee.
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    -Jimmy E.

Quote Originally Posted by SSLEVO View Post
    the LT1 is a great motor if you know what you are doing. Don't listen to all of this ls1 bullshit, sure it will make a bit more power for the mods but who cares, you have an lt1 so lets work with it.
    Well I imagine thats geared towards me, and you need to relax. Its my opinion, and he's gonna do what he pleases. I'm just stating my view being a former LT1 owner who is pleased to have moved on to LS1. And like I have stated, the LT1 motor is a awesome motor, just not that popular compared to the LS1.
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    -Jimmy E.

I agree the LT1 is a great motor! Like everyone said if you knew what you were doing youd be set. 3000 is a great sum of money and prob what I will have for my 97Z in spring to go fast, Decent cam and a set of heads and you will be close to 2K then the supporting mods and Im sure youll have a decently fast car.

Ls1 are easier yes and more people here prefer them, but to each their own. Hook up with someone like Dennis or Ron and you have the all these Fbody sites to help you decide what is best for you. Check out LtxTech and such, look at peoples set ups and ask them about them and what they would do diffrent.

Im am kind of in your situation or will be here. I am thinking LE2 or Ai Heads and cam with a small shot of juice for the track.

Good luck man!

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by GHOSST View Post
    Well I imagine thats geared towards me, and you need to relax. Its my opinion, and he's gonna do what he pleases. I'm just stating my view being a former LT1 owner who is pleased to have moved on to LS1. And like I have stated, the LT1 motor is a awesome motor, just not that popular compared to the LS1.
    It wasn't really personal, that's a common attitude in the online community. On the other hand, he didn't ask for the "is the lt1 or ls1 better" debate that's happened millions of times since 1997. For the money an lt1 car is about the best value out there in terms of performance IMO. I had maybe $2500 into mods including the clutch and was running with pullied cobras.

All too common the LT gets a bad rap because some guy sinks all of this money into heads, cam, strokers... and still runs 12's. These things can break into the 11's cam only no sweat! I loved my LT1, the next small block to enter my garage will be an LS7 though
    2005 DSOM Corvette, Z51, M6, Z06 Mufflers

It wasn't really personal, that's a common attitude in the online community. On the other hand, he didn't ask for the "is the lt1 or ls1 better" debate that's happened millions of times since 1997. For the money an lt1 car is about the best value out there in terms of performance IMO. I had maybe $2500 into mods including the clutch and was running with pullied cobras.

All too common the LT gets a bad rap because some guy sinks all of this money into heads, cam, strokers... and still runs 12's. These things can break into the 11's cam only no sweat! I loved my LT1, the next small block to enter my garage will be an LS7 though
    Dont get me wrong, I loved my LT1 too. If I hadn't wrecked it, I'd still have it along side my newer less mileage LS1.
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    -Jimmy E.

You were running with pullied termy's? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Nutwaver View Post
    You were running with pullied termy's? Really?
    If you can trap 110-115 you can hang with a mildly pullied cobra from a roll.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

I just dont see a basic bolt on lt1 running with a termy......just baised on the lt1's that I have ran with the 04.

A LSX sure, hell even a mild bolt on lsx, but not a lt1......but hell what do I know....I got my ass handed to me by a low 13 sec imp when I had my 88

Quote Originally Posted by Nutwaver View Post
    I just dont see a basic bolt on lt1 running with a termy......just baised on the lt1's that I have ran with the 04.

A LSX sure, hell even a mild bolt on lsx, but not a lt1......but hell what do I know....I got my ass handed to me by a low 13 sec imp when I had my 88
    Well just mildly modded termi's may make decent #'s, they are not that fast however given the hp/tq figures. I could totally see a bolt on LT1 thats properly dialed in plus maybe a hot cam kit running with a 450-480 whp termi
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

I had a 94 z28 back in the day and I think it was the best car I've ever owned. That thing was beat like a red headed stepchild day in and day out. The opti went one it like the rest of em' and my tranny needed a rebuild around 80k or so. Other than that it was one hell of a car. Best time at Union Grove was 13.7 @ 101 I believe.

I'd almost be tempted to sell or trade my Mustang so I could pick another LT1.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I had a 94 z28 back in the day and I think it was the best car I've ever owned. That thing was beat like a red headed stepchild day in and day out. The opti went one it like the rest of em' and my tranny needed a rebuild around 80k or so. Other than that it was one hell of a car. Best time at Union Grove was 13.7 @ 101 I believe.

I'd almost be tempted to sell or trade my Mustang so I could pick another LT1.
    Wow, a T56 or a 4l60? I always hear the first couple years of the bird/maro 93-95 were the worst, real pita's.
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    -Jimmy E.

Simple. Spray it...

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSST View Post
    Wow, a T56 or a 4l60? I always hear the first couple years of the bird/maro 93-95 were the worst, real pita's.
    4L60E, that was on street tires too. Goodyear Eagles If memory serves me right. When you would launch it, it would hook instantly.

I always thought it was a factory freak and built on a good day. I did see it some years after I lost the car and some teenager from IL had it. I knew it was mine cause of the cracked front end and the Chevy Bowties on the doors.

I did write the time it ran and the date behind the speaker panel on the driver side. It also had the black and red interior and black and red exterior with t tops.