1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 5.9 Questions?

I Really love these trucks but never drove one yet..(dont see many) and have a bunch of questions about them...so no better place than here to ask!!!!!

Anyone here own own? or no someone who does? what do they think of it?

Is there any aftermarket for it (go fast goodies)

Any known major problems with them?

Are they fulltime 4wd or can you switch them?or is that an option that can difer

If there is an aftermarket can you post a link to it? ( i cant find much)

Is the gas mileage as terrible as people make it out to be?

What did these truck run in the 1/4 mile stock?

think thats it for now...TIA!!!!
    " EVERYBODY HAS A PLAN...UNTIL THEY GET HIT!!!!!!!"

are they overall pretty reliable?
    " EVERYBODY HAS A PLAN...UNTIL THEY GET HIT!!!!!!!"

Chrysler Certified Technician Plum Crazy's Avatar
    Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning

Its a 13 year old truck, it all depends on the previous owner(s). They have the same issues as any Grand Cherokee, leaky axle seals, leaking rear main seals, and they rust bad.
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purple
    2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Flame Red
    1967 AMC Ambassador Convertible

I have a 2004 grand cherokkee that I love more and more as the winter goes on. during the floods a few months ago, I got swamped it water over the lower edge of the doors. Took it in to the shop and had them change all the fliuds, and they told me no eater got in anywhere. Just turned 80,000 and have had it for almost 2 years with no problems yet.

steve
    2016 jeep cherokee trailhawk

2006 toyota matrix

2007 Harley Ultra classic

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hrsp View Post
    Anyone here own own? or no someone who does? what do they think of it?
    Nope, owned the 5.2.

Is there any aftermarket for it (go fast goodies)
    Yes...but it will be rarer. From headers, heads, cams, intakes, TB's, superchargers, ecu mods...it's all out there. They're getting rarer as the vehicles age, but you can find them.

Any known major problems with them?
    Well, of course the infamous transmissions. Keep changing the fluid with mopar ATF+4 and if it was in decent shape when you buy it, it should be fine...never had an issue with any of my 5.

Otherwise, normal age stuff...transfer case could be rebuilt by 250K, control arms probably good till 250K, etc.

Are they fulltime 4wd or can you switch them?or is that an option that can difer
    Full-time 4wd...but it is one of the better systems out there. Had one in the 4.0 GC I had and it was a stout unit that actually allowed for decent mileage.

If there is an aftermarket can you post a link to it? ( i cant find much)
    Look to hughesengines.com for most engine related stuff.

Is the gas mileage as terrible as people make it out to be?
    Define "terrible?" I'd expect 14-15 combined, with 17-18 on the open roads at typical speeds. My 5.2 never got better than 19 mpg on trips to MN, but my 4.0 w/ same transfer case could get 20-21mpg. Andy (cryptic) once got it up to 24mpg in Nebraska, but he was cheating, lol.

What did these truck run in the 1/4 mile stock?
    Anywhere from 14.8 to 15.2 stock. Smart mods usually netted big improvements...intake manifold to replace the beer keg, headers/exhuast, 1.6 rockers and ecu mods could get you go lower 14's. Cam changes really woke the things up too...BUT, as with chevy vortech heads, the spring bases need to be cut down @ over .500 lift...so most go with aftermarket "R/T" heads since it doesn't require mods to accept bigger cams/higher lift. Stick with the basic stuff, and it shouldn't be too bad.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!