Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Gas costs more than drugs..... team beater's Avatar

Preferred diesel

Hello all, contemplating a 4x4 diesel but dont know much info on whats whats. Can anyone give me insight on the duramax's, cummins, and powerstrokes? Cant afford new, probably between 00-05, would like 4 door under 15ish.

info is appreciated.
    I spend to much money on auto storage!

Senior Member..now yer posting! Monstr913's Avatar
    what do you wanna know? duramaxes make power real easy but trans is good to around 450 at wheels...cummins are good motors and cheap to build lots of low end power, auto trannies are junk even when built...and well ford is ford not much to be said there lol
    DD: 2003 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually, ec/lb, Efi live by Duramax Tuner controlled through Edge CTS monitor, 5" MBRP exhaust, AFE stage 2 intake.

Toy: "My Pet Monster" 2001 Chevy 2500hd cc/sb, 2.6 pull truck, more money in it then I'd like to admit.

Forget ford all together. Like he said if you want quick easy power, get a duramax. Dodges are nice too, but budget $4,000 for a trans right away. Both always finish top in truck pulling and drag racing. Fords finish top in spending a ton of money and still having no power.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

Gas costs more than drugs..... team beater's Avatar
    I'm a gm fan, so its nice to know the duramax is a top pick. If I read right the earlier version has injector issues, is there anyway to determine when shopping? Also what mileage is too high? What are other weak points?
    I spend to much money on auto storage!

I have an 05 which has the variable vane turbo. Started in 04.5 spools up nice and quick and you can use it as a turbo brake as well. I would get an 02-05.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport

im in the market for one come next summer. I'm looking for an lly 04.5-05. doesn't have a ton of emissions stuff just egr (which can be blocked off) and a cat (which can easily be hollowed out) the variable vane has excellent throttle response, especially if you upgrade the turbo inlet pipe which is a must for the lly
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

The turbo mouth piece and the hot side boost tube are the biggest bolt on differences. The stock air box is fine up to 500ish hp if you modify it. So you don't need an intake. I have and egr block off for the 04.5-05 if anyone needs one. If you want I can take you for a ride in my truck so you can get a feel for it. I have a turbo and injectors coming for it next week.

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    Go duramax or Cummins. Im currently on my 4th dmax truck and love it to death. Keep building them up more and more each time. This one is a 08, built engine, built trans, twins, built and tuned by myself.

You cannot go wrong with either GM or Dodge, there both awesome power plants.

What rods/pistons did you use in your motor?

Quote Originally Posted by UnderPSI View Post
    What rods/pistons did you use in your motor?
    Carrillo Rods, Mahle Pistons. Parts came from SoCal Diesel.

alright emptypockets how come we've never seen your truck around I know pretty much all the diesel guys in the area between truck pullin, drag racing and anything involving diesels and i only know one guy with a 08 twined but he lives in janesville and is efi tuned...

as far as telling by miles for trucks possibly goin bad its a crap shoot...LB7 are 01-04 and have head gasket and injector issues and are wastegated turbos...04.5-06 are LLYs starting to show headgasket issues and the injector harnesses have been known to go bad on #2 & #7...06-07 LBZ are nice motors but would probably be more then your looking to spend on a mud truck...If you go cummins get a 12 valve P-pump found in 94-98 i believe and will make good power for cheap and easy to work on as its all mechanical injection
    DD: 2003 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually, ec/lb, Efi live by Duramax Tuner controlled through Edge CTS monitor, 5" MBRP exhaust, AFE stage 2 intake.

Toy: "My Pet Monster" 2001 Chevy 2500hd cc/sb, 2.6 pull truck, more money in it then I'd like to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Monstr913 View Post
    alright emptypockets how come we've never seen your truck around I know pretty much all the diesel guys in the area between truck pullin, drag racing and anything involving diesels and i only know one guy with a 08 twined but he lives in janesville and is efi tuned...

as far as telling by miles for trucks possibly goin bad its a crap shoot...LB7 are 01-04 and have head gasket and injector issues and are wastegated turbos...04.5-06 are LLYs starting to show headgasket issues and the injector harnesses have been known to go bad on #2 & #7...06-07 LBZ are nice motors but would probably be more then your looking to spend on a mud truck...If you go cummins get a 12 valve P-pump found in 94-98 i believe and will make good power for cheap and easy to work on as its all mechanical injection
    That would be because i just moved back to wisconsin roughly 4 months ago. Just retired from 24 years active duty, diesel engine mechanic...

Currently working for the USPS. Looking for pension number two!

Also im not much into racing nor do I pull, I just enjoy a nice quick truck!

<div class="imlinks"> <div class="popupmenu vehicleaction"> <a class="popupctrl" href="#"><strong>Vehicles</strong></a> <ul class="popupbody popuphover vehicleaction_body"> <li class="left"><a href="http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/garage_ve
    Quote Originally Posted by emptypockets View Post
    That would be because i just moved back to wisconsin roughly 4 months ago. Just retired from 24 years active duty, diesel engine mechanic...

Currently working for the USPS. Looking for pension number two!

Also im not much into racing nor do I pull, I just enjoy a nice quick truck!
    Hey breecher why do you feel the need for all the different user names. Thought you did not care about being on here?
    2002 Trans AM Ws6 M6 Black on Black. Procharged
    2011 GMC Sierra All Terrain
    2009 Infiniti G37x

I don't know guys, I just rode in a pretty badass 6.0 liter last night. From what the owner says, it may be just the begining too.

Quote Originally Posted by FourEyedFord View Post
    I don't know guys, I just rode in a pretty badass 6.0 liter last night. From what the owner says, it may be just the begining too.
    Everyone knows 6.0's are junk! It sure is nice having a nice truck around the motor though!

i was just wondering i didnt mean to call you out or any offense, just to get that clear lol...why didnt this badass ford come to gld saturday for the drags? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Monstr913 View Post
    i was just wondering i didnt mean to call you out or any offense, just to get that clear lol...why didnt this badass ford come to gld saturday for the drags? lol
    Oh I know, and I didn't mean to offend anyone else's non-ford. My beat down old 7.3l truck ain't badass enough to rumble with you guys.

I think the owner was out of state at a drag race on Saturday, otherwise he and I would have been there.

It's alright we all know the fords can't hang with us :P

Quote Originally Posted by UnderPSI View Post
    It's alright we all know the fords can't hang with us :P
    That sounds like a call out to me! My farm truck is always willing for some action!

Give a brotha a break though, I gots no intercooler.....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by FourEyedFord View Post
    That sounds like a call out to me! My farm truck is always willing for some action!

Give a brotha a break though, I gots no intercooler.....lol.
    urs is the only non intercooled truck i wouldnt spot out!!
    2002 dodge cummins - mechanically injected, stupid built.. never ending project
    2013 Toyota Tacoma - crewcab, v6, 6 spd, 4wd, TRD package