A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries

New Ford engines...

Anyone see the new ford offerings? Looks like some good stuff FINALLY coming from them in the engine dept:

Base 3.7 v6: 302hp/305ft-lbs torque (compares to the GM 4800 Dodge 4.7 quite nicely)
    opt 5.0 v8: 360hp/380ft-lbs of torque
    opt twin turbo 3.5 v6: 365hp/420ft-lbs torque (not sure how well recieved this will be...I'm figuring it'll be popular in limited circles, but most will stick with a traditional v8).
    opt 6.2 V8: 411hp/434ft-lbs of torque. Should make 2,421hp with just a turbo and a fuel pump and stock long block

No more 4.6/5.4's to beat up on

Read about the driving the new fords and comparissons to other makes here:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/27/2...est/#continued
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Yay, "we" finally have something worthy of Prince's praise

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    Yay, "we" finally have something worthy of Prince's praise
    lol...yes, that was a pretty poor way for me to word it

So I regret the wording, but not the sentiment...
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

The best trucks, just got better! Don't forget about the 6.7!

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSS LX View Post
    Don't forget about the 6.7!
    A co-worker of mine has one of these heaps, its gets the worst milage ive ever seen out of a diesel and it drives like a turd. Ive owned the past three generations of duramax engines, including the new LML wich I took delivery of two weeks ago. That 6.7 had alot of hype, and from what I can tell thats exactly what it was... Hype...
    Last edited by emptypockets; 09-28-2010 at 06:05 AM.

This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    opt twin turbo 3.5 v6: 365hp/420ft-lbs torque (not sure how well recieved this will be...I'm figuring it'll be popular in limited circles, but most will stick with a traditional v8).
    The torque curve on that one is supposed to be pretty low end biased, should be interesting how it competes with the 5.0 based on pricing.
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxStang View Post
    The torque curve on that one is supposed to be pretty low end biased, should be interesting how it competes with the 5.0 based on pricing.
    This is certainly the case...in a direct comparison to the 5.0 in terms of driving dynamics the 3.5 bound to superior.

BUT, will the typical truck buyer favor a relatively higher tech twin turbo, DI v6 gas engine over that of a traditional v8? I know diesel guys have no qualms about turbo charging, nor direct injection, nor the presence of smaller displacement v6's...but will the half-ton gas guys be as crazy about it? Or will they go to the mechanically simpler traditional type powertrain?

My guess is that such an engine would need to offer substantially better gas mileage to lure the traditional v8 guys to the fold...on the order of 3mpg better than a regular v8.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    On that subject makes me wonder what the aftermarket for the turbo trucks will be within a couple of years...
    I wanted to do the Ford promotion where they let you drive them all, but unfortunately their not coming to Chicago. I'm most excited about the 6.2, still trying to convince a certain family member to buy a raptor...
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily