Thread: Building an AK?

Building an AK?

I've been reading up on it and now that I built my AR I kinda want to try my hand on an AK. Of course I would have to get the 25% US parts and legal receiver, etc. so I could keep everything legal.

Have any of you built an AK? Or can any of you recommend a "how-to" video I should pick up? I don't want to go into this blind.

I only got as far as bending flats
    Spent my time building the CETME.
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    I have built a few. I think I have a kit and receiver that is currently surplus to my needs. It will be more complicated than putting an AR together though.
    Last edited by MurphysLaw88GT; 10-08-2010 at 11:27 AM.

I am in the process of converting my 308 right now..this page has all the info you will need. Forum.saiga-12.com I am getting converting a 12 guage next.
    410W/YS-i/10 lbs Boost/Pump Gas
    9.90 @ 140

Quote Originally Posted by Adamsy87 View Post
    I am in the process of converting my 308 right now..this page has all the info you will need. Forum.saiga-12.com I am getting converting a 12 guage next.
    Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

I'm looking for a step-by-step on how to completely build an AK from a flat and parts kit, not convert a Saiga.

I'm hoping it's more involved than building an AR... honestly that was a lot easier than I had anticipated.

Def more involved than a AR.

Here's a couple.

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK...nstruction.htm
    http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61255

I actually want to do another G3/Cetme, but the kits are getting too expensive
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

A very short rundown; This is assuming you are using a 100% receiver and not building one.

Clean the kit very well.

Remove any remaining rivet heads and receiver chunks from the trunnions.

Press out barrel pin.

Press barrel out of trunnion.

Clean trunnions well (LIGHTLY polish up the barrel shank and inside of front trunnion where barrel goes, inspect for any galling).

If you need to drill any rivet holes in receiver, do it.

Install selector stop and trigger-guard with 5 rivets.

Start riveting the front and rear trunnions in.

Press barrel back in, check head space with the proper gauges. Re-press barrel pin. Remember to completely strip the bolt before a head-space check.

(If it wont head-space with original barrel pin hole, press barrel in/out until it passes on the gauge, then re-drill an oversize barrel-pin hole and install new o/s pin.)

Assemble weapon.

If you have dummy rounds, cycle some through there.

Test fire/sight in.

(If you parkerize the individual parts before assembly, do that. )

On Youtube: BuildyourownAK channel is a good one for a general idea of what you are getting into.

Press barrel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lur1V...eature=related

Riveting front trunnions into receiver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQvgc...eature=related

You get the idea.

If you are looking for a kit/receiver and rivets for a build, let me know. I have one kit/receiver that I will probably never get to.
    Last edited by MurphysLaw88GT; 10-09-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRX7Project View Post
    Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

I'm looking for a step-by-step on how to completely build an AK from a flat and parts kit, not convert a Saiga.

I'm hoping it's more involved than building an AR... honestly that was a lot easier than I had anticipated.
    My bad. I didn't realize you wanted to get that in depth with it. Good luck that seems like an awesome project!
    410W/YS-i/10 lbs Boost/Pump Gas
    9.90 @ 140

If you want to build a receiver from scratch, go to Weaponeer.com, I have gone to many BPs where that was done often.