cuttin' chips

My 94 silverado budget build....where to go from here/what to expect?

My 94 Silverado will be going under the knife this weekend.The trans is falling apart, and the motor is less than stellar in the performance department.Ive been gathering parts, while maintaining the "budget build" mentality.I planned to run the truck carb, no matter which motor (SBC or LSX) will stay in the truck for next year.Im not looking to dump a ton of money into the truck at once, but id like some advice as to which path to take.This truck is my daily driver, weekend track truck, and probably will take a beating somewhat frequently on the street when its nice out.Heres what i have now, what kinda numbers should i be looking at?....

94 TBI shortblock...untouched
    624 heads...1.94/1.52s...studs/guideplates/springs/1.6 rockers/untouched ports
    comp xe256... .449/.456 256/268 112LSA
    Edelbrock performer RPM
    Holley 650 double pumper

The truck will have a TH350 with 2400ish stall and 3.73s.I was told this should have a decent low-mid range...but its going to lose steam around 5200.I dont mind the low end, since the truck is somewhat heavy.Im looking for opinions on anything i could change to have the truck perform better or possibly better matched than what i have thrown together.I have plans to either build a 406 over winter, or switch to an LSX platform.
    91 Notch - where to begin

i wouldn't mind having a 406 in my car sounds like a fun project. 3.73's should keep the rpms nice for street and if your going 406 should have plenty of power to scoot
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This combo isn't too dissimilar from my stockish Lil' red truck.

An engine like this, with headers should make roughly 280-300hp. With 3.73's, I'd expect low 15's maybe high 14's. With the 2400rpm stall TC, it WILL have a stout low-end/midrange...

all in all, it seems to be a nice, well-matched combo...though if you haven't got the cam yet, consider a 262xe. 256 would be ideal if keeping a stock converter and higher gears, the 262 is better with the mild TC/stouter gears you're going with.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

sounds like a fun build.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

cuttin' chips
    i got the cam with the heads, but it is used and the lifters weren't numbered.Im thinking of going with a new cam and lifter set, since flat tappet stuff is dirt cheap.Id like to move my powerband up a little if possible.Im shooting for 300hp out of the stock shortblock....maybe toss some spray on it soon after its running nice
    91 Notch - where to begin