ford focus fuel pump problems, need help

Hoping there are some Ford techs on here or someone who has dealt with this.

I have a 2000 ford focus and the car would starts up and run but when you put it in gear it bucks bad and sometimes will stall. I figured it was the fuel pump going out so I went and ordered a new one from napa. So I replaced the fuel pump (I cut a hole in the floor because they don't have an access panel). Of course when I did that I accidentally snipped 2 wires with the tin snip. I re-sodered them up and heat shrink/wrapped them.

Anyway, I put that new pump in and the problem is still there. I also replaced the fuel filter (previous fuel filter was replaced 2 years ago). I did new motorcraft plugs as well. I looked for vacuum leaks but did not find anything, that doesn't mean there isn't still one though. I don't know what else to look for. Does anyone know what that electrical box is under the back seat that connects to the fuel pump? I unplugged that and the car still ran. I had a P1237 code, probably because I accidentally cut the wire. I also had a P1000 code.....

I am at a loss here. After researching I heard about the ford extended recall:
    http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/js...427_R03N01.PDF

I have not called the dealer yet, but from the sounds of it that ended in June 2010 for my model year. As the car sits it won't make it to the dealer. I'd like to fix it myself or if someone here wants to make some money on the side... or if you have any ideas please let me know.

It mentions you need the special tool 310-133, I thought that was to remove the fuel pump retaining ring on the top of the tank, but it is apparently for the ring for the fuel delivery module (FDM) aka fuel pump. I found this here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=140432114294

I don't know if there are other alteratives to using this tool. I don't think that if I took this ring out that it would also solve all my issues.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to put all the info out there. Any feedback will be appreciated.

-Chris

It sounds like you replaced just the pump motor itself, not the whole assembly? (the pump motor on the left) (complete assembly) If this is the case it makes sense that you still have the problem. The reason I say this is because in the extended coverage bulletin it states the symptoms may be related to contamination of the fuel pump filters. (Under "Reason for providing additional coverage") Those filters are either inside the assembly or under it. And the reason you need the special tool to cut out the ring (in the bottom of the tank) is so the new design FDM will fit. (As the bulletin states under "Special Cutting Tool") It was a good idea to replace the fuel filter but as you found out, that won't help since the filter(s) before the pump are clogged.

Hope this helps
    1995 Mustang GT 347

Thanks go out to:
    Jim Galto- Galto Racing Enterprises
    Karl- Massive Speed System
    (Soon to be) Tuned by Marv @ C&M Performance