Subi guys, 5smt thru the years.

Lots of FAQ's and threads to read but without signing in to Subi forums search's are limited to google:

Knowing the 2002 (US version) is the weakest in the WRX lineup, how much better is the 2003 as far as running changes? I found some technobobble before on running changes but never found a thread covering actual failures 2002 vs 2003 in real world beating. Have no dreams of high HP just looking at bugeyes as a driver (not afraid of rebuilding/upgrading gearsets but gears cost more than I usualy spend on a complete car!).
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Both 02's and 03's have the "glass" trannies. Mine hasn't popped yet (114k) but if it ever did the 04, 05 tranny is a direct swap and can be had for under $900 most of the time. Ive had two friends with 03's bust theirs but mine is fine?? Guess it all comes down to the abuse in the end.
    02 rex wagon

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    ^ not totally true. Subaru recognized the problem with the 2002 tranny and made a change. Most of the 2003's got the better trans. The 2002 trans will be just fine for a daily commuter but I would rather have the 2003 piece of mind if anything. I drove mine hard, took it to the track a few times and launched it hard on the street a bunch. Never an issue. If you are asking if you can take the thing to GLD on prepped track, rev it to 6k and let the clutch pedal go then no. You'll probably shit parts all over the place. You have to remember that everything is relative. I still have questions as to how weak the 2002 transmission REALLY is.....like if you never took it to the track but beat the hell out of it on the street would it live? Or does one full boost pull in 4th gear break it? Subaru underestimated how dumb people were going to be with the WRX when it came out and didn't "idiot-proof" the cars when they started selling them here in the states.

I still think if you can find a low mileage Subie WRX wagon Russ do it! You'll love the car!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

There are a surpising number of people who own 2002's on NAIO forum who have never had a failure, some people have a talent for allowing the trans teeth to be fully engaged before shock loading it Im guessing from posts.

I still cant find the thread or sticky that listed running changes on the 5smt, it had a several page "my 200? failed at ??k miles" following it as well as "My 200? has 299k miles and never skipped a beat".

Quote Originally Posted by jbiscuit View Post

I still think if you can find a low mileage Subie WRX wagon Russ do it! You'll love the car!
    So true, fun, versatile awesome in winters.

My car was adult owned before me, totally stock and long commuter miles. May be why my trans is fine, I've launched quite a few times but for some reason I still feel like Im sitting on a time bomb
    02 rex wagon

Quote Originally Posted by jbiscuit View Post
    ^I still think if you can find a low mileage Subie WRX wagon Russ do it! You'll love the car!
    Looked at a POS 2002 wagon in Wauk, didnt even drive it at used dealer was overpriced but apeared stock overall.

Just drove a 2003 wagon, one owner and bone stock 110k miles. Surprised how smooth and quiet the ride was, expected something less. These cars are far from "fast" stock, felt like a high 14 maybe even a 15 flat 1/4 time...I know how to fix that! Seats are kinda goofy but after figuring out how the riser works may actualy be neat setup.

Is a "buzz" from gearbox at 4th and 5th cruising speed normal? Not a "growl" but probably the AWD drivetrain?

There is another on autotrader in IL, 95k mile wagon I want to go look at, red looks odd but may be clean.

mine made some howl in every gear even when new. Never got louder or quieter. Might need a trans/diff fluid change. Redline fluid in mine made for nicer shifting as well. They are really choked stock with the stock exhaust and tune. They NEED an uppipe swap right away. They will benefit huge from a downpipe and catback also. The stock tune is pathetic. Even at stock boost pressure, smoothing out the A/F they will drive much nicer and pick up torque/pep around town. Mine was an uppipe/downpipe/catback/tune, stock airbox with the snorkel removed, 16-17psi in the top of 3rd gear etc etc and trapped 103-104mph full weight.....literally

When the trans is about to shit they make a "crunch" as they eat their own innerds. I'd have to hear the "buzz"

Yah my brain is hemeraging NASIOC tech and faq's....that exhaust looks like the making of a way to slow spool. Reading more today the audible tone of the driveline on the car I drove it nothing, most describe their own cars as load on the driveline side, nature of the beast (tiny little beast).

There is lots of room for a custom exhaust by me, bet I could fit 3" front to rear, lots of room for one of my big FMIC's as well.

I had a full 3" turbo back exhaust on mine. Fits like a champ under the car

I personally wouldn't recommend a FMIC on a stock EJ20, there's soo much piping and you wont benefit on the stock turbo.
    02 rex wagon

Senior Member..now yer posting! tommyt5078's Avatar
    My stock 02' wagon went 14.2-14.3 most of the time at GLD.

When it was hot, it got slower................
    13.176@101.48 Bone Stock 05'STi done on 6/20/2010 import wars #4 hot day, 11:20am.

You dont need a FMIC unless your plannin on making some big power. I know a bunch of people with 02 on up wrx's an they havent had any problems but they also dont drop the clutch at 6k.

if anything Russ, look for a used STi topmount that someone is trying to sell on NASIOC. Nice upgrade from the stock WRX topmount and you can usually get them cheap

Google SS autochrome they sell huge top mounts for under 200 bucks. I know people have run them they are just as good in quality and performance as the big name brands they sell for big money.

Turbo's are low pressure/ high volume pumps, technicaly the intercooler could be trunk mounted with no loss of spool. Corky Bells statment is usualy used :"an intercooler could be mounted in the next zipcode with little to no difference in spoolup"

I've swapped some rediculousy large intercoolers on 2.2 ltr motors, 1.9 sixty foot times with boost hitting 17+ psi instantly, pretty much dismissed plumbing and IC size as an issue unless the Subi turbo is that small ? Doesnt boost very quick for a tiny turbo, maybe factory solenoid is issue?

My main plan was always to FMIC a subi so I could ditch the hood scoop for stealthy wagon looking driver

Never a shortage of IC's around my house

Got some perfect fit Tokyo radiators that flow crazy and much more surface area to function much better.