R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar

Question Porting Factory LSX style intakes.

Has anyone on here ever done anything like this? Actually cutting the bottom out and reworking the inside.

All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would assume something like that's been done...guys have been doing similar stuff to the old "beer keg" style magnum 5.2/5.9 intakes for a while now...

often times it's to shorten the intake runners for better higher rpm performance.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Ya the above is on the newer '10 SS Camaro intake. Looks like the main supports were removed as well as smoothing out the beggining of the runners? I know this is nothing in comparison to a Fast however for the price it may be worth it.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    not worth it. atleast in my opinion. been that way for ALOT of years, that the porting wasn't worth it unless some of these new style intakes have proven otherwise. been a couple years since i cared to look, haha

to be honest, i think the cost of it would place it right near the cost of a used FAST 78mm intake anyways.

Ive seen a guy cut the pillars out with an small air saw and smooth it with a die grinder by sticking his arm in the intake already. Some intakes its worth porting like an LS2 vs the other options... like the million dollar fast setup. Id personally send it to someone with experience like fasterproms in FL.

6.0 TBSS truck intakes can gain up to 50hp everywhere in the powerband with a good port job.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Dam that is insane for the TBSS!! I know the LS2 intake is said to be one of the worst flowing intakes GM produced. Word on the street is a LS1 intake w/ 75mm TB flows considerably better than a LS2 intake w/ 90mm TB.

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    Ive seen a guy cut the pillars out with an small air saw and smooth it with a die grinder by sticking his arm in the intake already. Some intakes its worth porting like an LS2 vs the other options... like the million dollar fast setup. Id personally send it to someone with experience like fasterproms in FL.

6.0 TBSS truck intakes can gain up to 50hp everywhere in the powerband with a good port job.
    Nan - like i said, i don't know, it's been so long, haha

Tom - how much is a port job for these stock intakes running? does it work on the 6.0L silverado SS truck stuff too?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
    Tom - how much is a port job for these stock intakes running? does it work on the 6.0L silverado SS truck stuff too?

Chris
    Uh oh Chris have another vehicle in the works????

Quote Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
    Dam that is insane for the TBSS!! I know the LS2 intake is said to be one of the worst flowing intakes GM produced. Word on the street is a LS1 intake w/ 75mm TB flows considerably better than a LS2 intake w/ 90mm TB.
    Well the LS6 intake is probably the best factory piece aside from todays LS3/L76 and LS7 intakes. The LS2 intakes are made from several different pieces and have lots of overlapping joints etc which create bottle necks. The LS1 intake is not the greatest, but again ti was designed all the way back in '97. There is a reason why TPIS offers a 90mm LS6 intake conversion... They basically cut the neck off, graft on a 90mm neck and can now use a tradition 90mm TB and make as much, if not more than what a fast 90 can deliver on the same engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
    Nan - like i said, i don't know, it's been so long, haha

Chris
    Yes the TBSS intake is basically a LQ9 intake. I ported the neck on the TBSS we had and took the ridges out of the intake ports and made HUGE off idle responce and torque increase!

Performance Porting

http://www.fasterproms.net/services.html

LS2/LS7 Stg1 Intake Manifold Porting $300.00
    LS2/LS7/Truck Throttle Body Porting $150.00
    LS1 Throttle Body Porting $100.00
    FAST Intake Manifold Porting $350.00
    Stage 2 Intake Manifold Porting $400.00

Hmmm I may just pick up a cheap used LS2 intake and chop it up. Assuming I do everything right and there's no leaks would a tune be needed for the extra air?

Quote Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
    Hmmm I may just pick up a cheap used LS2 intake and chop it up. Assuming I do everything right and there's no leaks would a tune be needed for the extra air?
    Well the trims would reflect if airflow increase is present, thus needing more fuel which it will correct for on its own, but its by no means precise and WOT will get skewed from where it is now. LS2 cars really do come around with tune's though, something to think about for the future.

My LS7 intake is ported just like that. I didnt really notice a SOTP difference but then again 10-15hp isn't really going to open your eyes...
    2007 C6 ZO6 427ci stock for now!
    2008 BMW 135i 3.0 of twin turbo goodness.(sold)
    2006 WRX STI-STOCK(sold)
    1994 Transam-640rwhp 383 procharged(parting out let me know what you need)

Fast grocery getter...
    As an addition to Tom's source for porting, a guy who is well known to the tbss scene is Cory from LS2portworks and he has done great work with opening them up and then epoxying t.comhem shut with no leaks and great increases in performance. It is insane the difference they make on a LS2 intake. The L92's intake manifold on the other hand, not a big difference, when used on a LS2 platform from what has been currently tested.
    2006 AWD Black TBSS
    Tom tuned
    ...Now it's Loose and Loud!!!

I opened the bore on my intake, didn't notice much of anything. I probably opened the bore .1875" to .25" on the diameter. From what Tim said I got the idea from LS2Portworks

1999 C5 TT street car - 901/881 on pump gas, 10.82@137mph
    2013 Denali Duramax