Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hwystar

2002 Camaro SS 427 in Mineral Point 4th parade

Saw what appeared to be a 2002 SS in the parade. had fender decals saying 427 and hood scoop decal w/ 600HP (I think). Plate was LZ1 ____

sharp car, anybody's here. what's the history?

I've heard references to this before and unfortunately I'm gonna have to raise the on the notion of 600HP out of a N/A small block production car, emissions legal, running 93 octane gas at best..

If you go to the "GMMG" site they only quote 400HP or so, but you're not the first one I've heard reference "600HP badges". Wonder what the story is here...
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044
    If you go to the "GMMG" site they only quote 400HP or so, but you're not the first one I've heard reference "600HP badges". Wonder what the story is here...

Base ZL1's use the 400 hp LS6 replacement engine.

There is only 31 out of 69 that have the 600HP 427 (see PhaseIII)

http://www.gmmginc.net/html/zl1427_info.html

Dont know of any lawsuits for false advertisment yet against Matt Murphy, but maybe you can be the first to sue him for "I dont think its got 600hp IMO"

Last edited by BADDLS1SS; 07-07-2004 at 12:19 PM.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Sale..sale..sale..sale..sale..

Now on sale.......

For a limited time only!...(till I can't sell anymore )

600 HP packages for any make and model of automoblie, for the low, low price of $59.95 (plus 12% tax and 25% handling charge).

Feel the HP once your 600HP package is applied to your automoblie with our exclusive peel and stick adhesive. No more waiting weeks or months for that expensive Turbocharger or Supercharger when, In a matter of minutes you can have that elusive 600HP on your car.

Buy one of the first 100 packages and we will include installation for FREE......(plus a one time $25.00 shop materails fee)........

When you call make sure to ask about our new 750hp package that we're working on......... :-P

Also available in Chrome (this is an extra cost option) for those that like the Bling Bling......

Hurry, don't wait on this, once we've sold all we can sell we won't be selling anymore.....

Just call 1-900-DUMBASS (there is a $4.00 per minute charge on this call, minimum 15 minutes)

600hp stickers on the hood scoop......
    Keith & Amanda
    2001 Formula Firehawk
    87 GN Only fast on the Souf Side
    70 GS 455 Stock Appearing

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044
    I've heard references to this before and unfortunately I'm gonna have to raise the on the notion of 600HP out of a N/A small block production car, emissions legal, running 93 octane gas at best..

Why is it so hard to believe that a 427 can make 600 hp? It came out of a production shop and has cats.....

BWHAHAHAHAHAH OMFG!!

Where the hell do you come up with this stuff Keith??

I like the cars from a collectability stand point and they are more of an investment than a 1/4 mile bruiser.

Yeah its kinda an outrageous claim at first sight to see "600 HP" and paying another 30K to get that decal and the 427 under the hood but different strokes for different folks.

There is only one of these cars that gets regular track flogging and sees 11.4's @ 123

Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula
    Why is it so hard to believe that a 427 can make 600 hp? It came out of a production shop and has cats.....
    In theory if the engine its self made 600 FWHP it would lay down somewhere about 530ish to the wheels, i dont see anything wrong here making a 600HP claim if the cars are seen laying this 530ish # down at the wheels.
    Last edited by BADDLS1SS; 07-07-2004 at 03:30 PM.

My GN went 10.56 @ 126 with 525 RWHP at 3700lbs.............that should be, could be, might be 600 at the flywheel...... 600 sounds alittle optimistic to me or is that just chebby horse power?....

I know all about the Vinyl Decal Collector Cars, my wife drives one........
    We'll see in 25 years or so if theres anymore value in these.......
    Keith & Amanda
    2001 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDNL
    I know all about the Vinyl Decal Collector Cars, my wife drives one........
    We'll see in 25 years or so if theres anymore value in these.......
    Yeah im in that same boat, mines slightly molested though making it even more usless down the road

BCM sponsor
    My GN went 10.56 @ 126 with 525 RWHP at 3700lbs.............that should be, could be, might be 600 at the flywheel...... 600 sounds alittle optimistic to me or is that just chebby horse power?....
    That was with slicks and a hard launch, right? What was the ZL1 running for tires and suspension setup when it ran the 11.4?? Keith's car is setup for the strip and hence should run more of a number than the "stock" ZL1 with the same or similar power... IMHO

Coming from a guy who also has a vinyl sticker mobile...

2008 Subabru Outback XT - Grocery Getter
    1964 Chevy BelAir 327 4-speed on Bags

Quote Originally Posted by 2KSS-4027
    That was with slicks and a hard launch, right? What was the ZL1 running for tires and suspension setup when it ran the 11.4?? Keith's car is setup for the strip and hence should run more of a number than the "stock" ZL1 with the same or similar power... IMHO

11.4 @ 123 on 18" cragar SS's with a short time in the 2.1 area looks very capable of mid tens ish with higher mph than 123 on 1.4-1.5 60's and 3600 LBS to me.

And its vinyl decal and hood scoop mobiles for us firehawk and SS owners.

I'm thinking more of the MPH figure, With 600hp I would think it should be running 126-128.......
    Keith & Amanda
    2001 Formula Firehawk

BCM sponsor
    I'm thinking more of the MPH figure, With 600hp I would think it should be running 126-128.......
    True, but remember it is also a really low production $100,000+ vehicle. Maybe he wasn't pushing it all out... I'm not sure I would if it were mine.

2008 Subabru Outback XT - Grocery Getter
    1964 Chevy BelAir 327 4-speed on Bags

True, but remember it is also a really low production $100,000+ vehicle. Maybe he wasn't pushing it all out... I'm not sure I would if it were mine.

they still have 10 bolts too yet, cant push them real hard

Mandys Firehawk is 1 of 2, Blue, MN6, 1LE, Hardtop Formulas made in 2001, I'd sell it for $100,000+ Still wouldn't stop me from running it balls out..... :-P I've got a customer with a Ferrari F-50, last time it was in the shop here he had 1800 miles on it, he runs a sticky street tire on it, the outside 2 inches on the fronts were totaly bald, that was his second set.... Takes a real man to drive a $600,000 car right on the edge all the time......

I forgot about the 10-bolt.......
    Keith & Amanda
    2001 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula
    Because such a high specific output N/A would typically require an extreme camshaft of the type that would exhibit poor driveability and emissions and therefore be unlikely to pass government certification for sale.. If an aftermarket shop modifies the engine, they can get away with an "All modifications are for off road use only" disclaimer, but a REAL car manufacturer cannot.

Think about it, if they can get 600HP (or 700WHP as has been suggested) out of a 427 on 93 octane pump fuel with standard driveability and emissions friendly exhaust, why aren't more people doing it? Why isn't anyone doing it, for that matter? And if they can do it, what can they get on a race fuel burning, emissions failing, race only version? 1000HP N/A?

I'm not saying this car is complete hocus pocus (although the thought crosses my mind), but it does make some astonishing claims with little evidence to serve as proof to skeptical minds.
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

600hp advertised on the hood would most likely indicate the flywheel rating which is about 480-510rwhp depending on whether or not its an A4 or M6. I hear what your saying about the cam profile for emmisions and what not but for the kind of money that it costs I am sure they could come up with a combo that is emmisions legal and besides I dont think they would be able to sell a vehicle that isnt emmisions legal. Just looking at someone else's combo local, his vehicle puts out close to 700 flywheel and is emmisions legal with cats on a smaller dispacement motor granted its forced induction but I would still assume that a larger engine could produce close to that kind of power as well. I could be way off base here but I really dont think that its that hard to do with that kind of money.

I dont have proof of any pardon on emission requirements or anything but being these cars came in such limited quanities(69) and came through as B4C cop cars, that right there makes them emmision exempt because its a "special service vehicle" (modern day COPO).

But these Phase III have lumpy ass cams in them, the #2 i drove sounded hairier than my car . The only thing emmission related i seen was air injection yet and cat converters attached to the collectors of the long tubes.

The Phase I uses a drop in LS6 crate motor and the Phase II has ported heads and bigger cam in the LS6.

Dont quote me but i thing anything sold as a special service car (see police or taxi cab) do not require any emmission testing or compliance, these vehicles are treated as an "export" by EPA standards, (see COPO's of old)

I guess I didnt think about the limited run of these perhaps exempting them from emmisions.