Advice on buying used bike

I am about to buy a 2002 yamaha r1 used with 14xxx miles. What should I look out for? It has been down, but there seems to be no damage other than the plastics, and pipe. It started right up. Should I be worried about anything? They seem like they are solid bikes. I have had 3 600rr's and I bought them all new except one from a buddy who bought his the day I bought mine. Any advice is appreciated. I am excited to finally be on a liter bike and let my fiance have my 09 600rr.

Also, I registered on the r1 forum which seems to be a good place to get advice. I assume a micron pipe(love the way they look), fender elminator and tail light integrator along with flushmounts on the front, and they look pretty good. Any other ideas?
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

When's the next major maintance due? On my d 675 the valve adjustment was at 14k miles.

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    front fork leaks.... more than likely was wheelied and landed hard

check to see if the chain had been lubed/maintenced properly

need new tires? flat spotted rear means it was again a wheelie bike or just driven on the freeway most of the time.

if it went down, some things are gonna be tweaked like clipons and possibly shifter/brakes/etc... same thing with the rear subframe stuff.

Well I looked everything over 2x and it all seemed to be good. Took it for a ride and it seemed solid. I immediately fell in love with the liter power and I took it home. I should have gone to the 1k lonnnnnnnnnnng ago!
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Post whore
    Haha, cool. I just picked up a 03 R1. The midrange power is awesome!
    2005 DSOM Corvette, Z51, M6, Z06 Mufflers

Senior Member..now yer posting! outlawgibbs's Avatar
    Congrats on the new bike.

Congrats!

Senior Member..now yer posting! SSScottSS's Avatar
    Where's the pics?? You know we need pics.. they're like crack!!!

Finally got around to snapping some pictures. Here some are...

12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Maybe you guys could help me. I am having a clicking noise coming from the front end. How do I know when I need to replace my steering head bearings? I am thinking it's either from that, or from possibly the front brakes. Other than that everything seems really solid.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is that a honda CM in the back ground?
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Good eye! Yeah that's an 80 honda cm 400t. Its my fiance's learner bike, and soon to be my cafe project.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Is the clicking coming from turning the bars or when your riding down the road? Ether are a easy thing to check into. Head bearings are kinda a pain in the ass if you dont have the rignt stands to lift the bike. They also dont fail that often. You can pull on caliper off to see it the brakes are wore, should be just 2 12mm bolts holding it on, or just turn the bars and look threw the top of the caliper to see if the pads are close to being wore out. Could also be a wheel bearing but I really doubt that would make a clicking noise. Otherwise just get someone close to you to take a look at the bike, Im just up in the Falls if you cant find anyone closer.

If you wouldn't mind meeting up to take a look that would be awesome. I don't know many people who are into bikes. I feel good doing all the work, but I'm not the most experienced with bikes for diagnosis. Going out to the falls wouldn't be a problem at all. I lived 24 years in the falls and I am just out here in sussex so it's not far.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

PM sent

Hmmm.... It looks like the left side fairing was replaced. The decals under the clear coat of the tank are there, but they are not on the fairing.

The bodywork has been for sure replaced. It was probably purchased as a set because the tank is still original. I plan on buying new plastic and repainting the tank this winter.

As for the noise, it is almost a clicking sound at low speeds, usually upon braking. I am hoping brakes but I am probably not that lucky. Outlaw I will give you a call later.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Well now that I decided on which direction I would like to go with the bike, does anybody have any advice on where I can take it to get the suspension tuned for my height/weight? How much does that usually cost? I'm not sure I wanna do a track day with this bike, but I definitely want it to handle on the street as well as it can.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

take it to a track day and there are usually people there that can set up "road side suspension adjustment" or whatever they call it.

check out www.wisconsinsportbikes.net as they are a big road race crowd.

also check out the forums on www.wera.com under "BBS" on the top menu bar. LOTS of info and parts for sale there as well.

Then you can read -

http://www.sportrider.com/motorcycle...ion/index.html

there is a setup guide for you to mess with on your own, and then the recommended setting based on their track testing

Nice bike! A little off topic but what apartments are you at in Sussex? I've been looking for places in that area with garages. PM me! thanks
    -Tyler