Thread: Excursion

Excursion

Thinking of picking up an Excursion diesel. Any opinions? Years i should stay away from? Known issues? Thanks

Anything with a 6.0l is going to be a 50/50 shot of actually having no issues. Stay with a 2000-2003 7.3l they r kinda getting hard to find with 'low miles' and u may pay MORE for it but ull thank ur self later. With any 6.0l ull have there known head gasket egr issues. There are fixes obviously but it'll be from ur check book.
    2002 dodge cummins - mechanically injected, stupid built.. never ending project
    2013 Toyota Tacoma - crewcab, v6, 6 spd, 4wd, TRD package

don't the 6.0 have turbo poppin issues as well or is that the headgaskets
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    Same advice, stay away from the 6.0.

Senior Member..now yer posting! Monstr913's Avatar
    stay away from fords, best advice ever lol...yea 7.3 is the best bet
    DD: 2003 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually, ec/lb, Efi live by Duramax Tuner controlled through Edge CTS monitor, 5" MBRP exhaust, AFE stage 2 intake.

Toy: "My Pet Monster" 2001 Chevy 2500hd cc/sb, 2.6 pull truck, more money in it then I'd like to admit.

Thanks guys.

watch out for the 99-03 7.3s they have issues with breaking connecting rods

the 6.0 is fine just don't buy an '03, they had a lot of issues with maintence when they came out that causes issues, if you leave it stock and take care of a 6.0 it will be a damn good motor.....or just throw some new headgaskets and ARP studs in it then a EGR delete kit you will have a bullet proof truck
    Last edited by Yeehaw; 07-20-2010 at 10:27 AM.
    -Kyle

2006 F350 6.0 CCLB DRW Lariat
    Gearhead, Holders Diesel, Retro Solutions, Pure Diesel Power, Screamin Eagle, Spyder Industries, Recon, Dirty Diesels
    KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeehaw View Post
    watch out for the 99-03 7.3s they have issues with breaking connecting rods

the 6.0 is fine just don't buy an '03, they had a lot of issues with maintence when they came out that causes issues, if you leave it stock and take care of a 6.0 it will be a damn good motor.....or just throw some new headgaskets and EGR studs in it then a EGR delete kit you will have a bullet proof truck
    Yeah... Just pull the top end of your engine apart to make it reliable....

OR... Buy a Chevy or Dodge from the get go and dont worry about anything but shredding transmissions!

Quote Originally Posted by emptypockets View Post
    Yeah... Just pull the top end of your engine apart to make it reliable....

OR... Buy a Chevy or Dodge from the get go and dont worry about anything but shredding transmissions!
    " EVERYBODY HAS A PLAN...UNTIL THEY GET HIT!!!!!!!"

the LLY duramax is common for blowing headgaskets too so

my truck has 132k on it original and has stock everything no issues. But i plan on putting in the black onyx gaskets and ARP studs. But i am also planning on throwing a heavy tune and a good amount of fuel into it, better to be safe then sorry
    -Kyle

Gearhead, Holders Diesel, Retro Solutions, Pure Diesel Power, Screamin Eagle, Spyder Industries, Recon, Dirty Diesels
    KCCO!

every vehicle has issues. just depends on what your willing to deal with.
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda69 View Post
    that is just it, i heard a lot of horror about the 6.0s til i talked to a lot of 6.0 owners. My friend dave lives up north of the state and he has an 06 that has been sct tuned and beat to hell for the last 70k miles....stock head gaskets and stock egr NO issues....as much as everyone wants to say they are a POS i will stick with it
    -Kyle

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda69 View Post
    This is true, pick your battles wisely though...

Quote Originally Posted by Yeehaw View Post
    that is just it, i heard a lot of horror about the 6.0s til i talked to a lot of 6.0 owners. My friend dave lives up north of the state and he has an 06 that has been sct tuned and beat to hell for the last 70k miles....stock head gaskets and stock egr NO issues....as much as everyone wants to say they are a POS i will stick with it
    kyle what if he doesnt want to mod his truck? he wants to get in it and turn the key and its going to drive. a 6.0L is NOT that truck. you picked a 6.0 cuz ur a psd lover and you want to mod it. 90% of the issues with them go hand in hand with upgrades due to mods. i bought a cummins cuz i want to make more horsepower then a chevy or ford can ever dream of on stock engine parts. the transmissions i didnt care about cuz it would be built at some point anyway. if ur truck truely has had no issues its the ONLY one i have EVER heard about. i have first hand have seen issues with EVERY single 6.0l iv been around 03-06 and only 3 were moded in someway.. heres a run down,
    work vans (4), (2) 2003 (2) 2004. parts run down between them- 3 turbos 3 egrs 10 sets of head gaskets upwards of 20 cam sensors(ask kilpatricks about this one..) 1 ecm.
    my buddy jasons (06) 1 egr 1 turbo 1 set of head gaskets several injectors due to hpop putting metal in the oil then 1 hpop. he moded it as problems pertained then sold it and bought a 05 which now has cummins in it.
    my buddy ryans 2004 1 turbo hpop system orings needed replacing 2 cam sensors 1 egr 2 sets head gaskets 4 injector orings. modded it as problems came and sold it.
    my dads friends 05 has had 1 egr 2 sets head gaskets and 4 turbos!! and its currently in now for a turbo.
    my aunts 03 has had 1 egr.
    crustys dads 04 had 3 egrs and 1 set of head gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by emptypockets View Post
    This is true, pick your battles wisely though...
    word^
    2002 dodge cummins - mechanically injected, stupid built.. never ending project
    2013 Toyota Tacoma - crewcab, v6, 6 spd, 4wd, TRD package

everyone i have been around has had no issues, and talking over 100k miles...even the shop truck has 215k of hard plowing and hauling and only has had a torque convertor replaced or else is all maintence. Drive it nicely, no mods, no super heavy hauling (over 10k lbs i'd say) and change the oil every 5k and use correct Ford coolant you will be fine it will be a great truck

but yes i would stick with a 7.3, my last truck had 313k and everyone knows i beat the living f**k out of it and it is still running
    -Kyle

KCCO!

go with a 7.3 and never look back! check on powerstrokenation.com (great info site)
    02' Pontiac Trans Am WS6 ( Sunday Driver)
    89' Pontiac Firebird Formula 350 (It's Been 10 Years)
    87' Chevy Monte Carlo SS (Stocker)
    99' Chevy Camaro SS (Project Car)
    99' Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 Diesel (Toy Hauler)
    04' Pace Pursuit 28' Enclosed Trailer (Toy Box)

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    6.0 are good engines, they had issues with tuning/programming that created problems in the beginning, also lack of maintenance was an issue too. but run real good when problems are sorted out(and sound cool too!) a lot of newer trucks have problems with egr systems and injectors(gm, ford, dodge) its just the way it is now with emissions, engine design, and ULSD fuel. i worked for international for a few years and now work for a fleet with all different brands and engines and i see problems with them all, just for me it doesn't seem like a big deal to have an injector or egr cooler go out because i work on them all the time. 7.3 are a pretty solid truck, but they do have suspension issues, cam sensor issues(sorted out now finally), and the occasional water pump and injector going out. dodge i have seen trans issues, injector issues, gm i have seen injector issues, egr issues, and rare but expensive allison trans issues. so pick what you will they can all have some sort of issues.

What type of mileage does a 7.3 Excursion get? I've been looking at getting a full-size SUV and would prefer the Expedition except they never made a diesel for it. I know the 7.3 would have more torque over the V8 Expedition but what about mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by KyleTT View Post
    What type of mileage does a 7.3 Excursion get? I've been looking at getting a full-size SUV and would prefer the Expedition except they never made a diesel for it. I know the 7.3 would have more torque over the V8 Expedition but what about mileage?
    depending on gearing, but usually the 3.73 geared trucks can easily see 20-23 on the highway
    -Kyle

KCCO!