2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar

4x4 recomendations.

well the wifey might let me buy a workhorse 4x4 4 wheeler. so i need recommendations as to what brand to get. im thinking a 650 will do.
    it will mainly be used up north on my land so i don't have to take a truck back in the woods with the trailer to get wood or pull logs out. and i will be getting a plow to do my driveway in the winter..
    what makes one brand better than the other? i was thinking of a Polaris.
    i have never OWNED a quad before but have rode plenty of sport quads and dirt bikes.

any input on any brand good and bad is appreciated.
    thank you
    Mike

I have had hondas, suzukis, and polaris. I sold Polaris for two years.... I would honestly never buy anything but a Polaris. You will get one sided opinions from everyone, but I can at least say ive owned them all and driven them all... If you go with a Polaris, the new XP series you can get in a 550 single cyl, but that has about as much get up and go as the 700 twins. If you want to trail ride, then the 850 XP is awesome, but you pay a bit more.. but those will also whoop up on any renegade 800 out there.

Ones i wouldn't touch with a 10' pole are anything suzuki/ Arctic cat. Hondas also suck.
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

yamaha grizzly get the new fuel injected though.
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

yeah i wont be doing much "trail" rideing... id be lucky to put 500 miles on the machine in a year.

Sportsman 550 xp, or if you can find anyone with a 500 still. you will be happy with either one... you will also notice the 4 wheel drive on the polaris's are better then anything avaiable.. grizzly would be my next choice if polairs isnt an option.
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    84- 4 eyed

Ol' School Ron North's Jewels Champion
    Although I am not into four wheelers that much any more and do not own one my Friend had a Honda Foreman 450. That thing was great I loved to ride it. We also put a plow on it for winter and had no trouble moving snow. We also used it in summer time when doing roof jobs by pulling a trailer full of shingles thru people yards.

Iv had a sportsman 400 and 500 grizzly 600 and grizzly 660. Will never buy another polaris, had so many belt issues, either wet or breaking. If ur going to pull heavy loads opt for a manual trans or esp like honda. Also Heard nothing but good things bout can ams. My one buddy has 2 and loves them. Got rid of kawis for them. I Sold all the atvs n now got a yamaha rhino. That's where its at. Don and Roys in brookfield is can am polaris honda and kawi if u wana check out a few
    2002 dodge cummins - mechanically injected, stupid built.. never ending project
    2013 Toyota Tacoma - crewcab, v6, 6 spd, 4wd, TRD package

/\ perhaps user error played a role in belt failure?
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    84- 4 eyed

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...assis=fullsize

this is what i was looking at. but i want one with front and rear brush gards front winch and a plow.

Quote Originally Posted by 0TransAm0 View Post
    http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...assis=fullsize

this is what i was looking at. but i want one with front and rear brush gards front winch and a plow.
    '

Thats a badass machine, you wont be disappointed at all. When it comes to the winches, I would buy a Polaris install kit, and order a Warn winch seperate... the warn winch will work in place of the polaris one, but I like the warns 10x time better... as for the racks, those will come in handy! if you want a dealer that knows something, i would go with G&G in muskego or East troy Marine.
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    84- 4 eyed