Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just a thought...

Are there standard and reverse rotation water pumps for chevys?

Not to be taken serious Karps TA's Avatar
    BTW if that's the Summit/Jegs generic radiator what I used for a lower rad hose is a generic hose covered in braided stainless steel ordered from Jegs or something. Since the radiator outlet is pitched and so close to the idler arm the SS braiding protects the hose from any rubbing that may occur. I can't remember if it was 18 or 24" long.

I had a hard time finding any other hose that worked real well.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

Thanks for the advice on the hose. It looks like I am going to bite the bullet and buy a dual fan setup. You guys have any recommendations on a reasonably priced dual electric fan?
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Not to be taken serious Karps TA's Avatar
    Cheapest Jegs has is their brand for either dual 11" for $180, or dual 12's for $200.

maybe look for a stock 3rd or 4th gen system?
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

stock dual LS1 setup used goes for around $100. there are some good dual kits on ebay with wiring and all for around the same price too.

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    make sure you get hoses that have the wire spring inside to keep it from collapsing,
    anything over 45 mph the fan should not be needed,so if its overheating more on the go my opinion is get a thermostat in it and get the hoses right.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post
    make sure you get hoses that have the wire spring inside to keep it from collapsing,
    anything over 45 mph the fan should not be needed,so if its overheating more on the go my opinion is get a thermostat in it and get the hoses right.
    Absolutely correct

Since it is a fresh build... are the intake gaskets installed backwards?
    Meaning the block off plate in the gaskets are installed towards the front of the engine? I think there will be a small tab sticking out of the front of the intake gasket on either side if installed correctly. Otherwise if the block off plate is in the front, the only circulation thru the engine is by way of the heater core.
    Last edited by Coops Brother; 07-15-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

^^^i didn't build the engine but you raise a very intriguing question. I wouldn't be surprised since I don't have any heater core lines. I am still going to buy a fan since it's unanimous that I need one, but I may as well pull the intake off and take a look. I have been meaning to put my rpm air gap intake on anyway.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Make sure you have a V belt pulley style water pump, since your running V belts instead of a serp setup. If the guy put a stock camaro serpentine setup one one there and you just changed the pulley, it wont be right. Make sure you have a water pump with the standard rotation. The serpentine water pumps spin different. You can remedy this by using a TPI or vortec truck accesory drive if you feel like it though.

With the small openin on the front of those cars though I would also look into a better fan than that.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

its almost that time again Ricky Bobby's Avatar
    in my 91 with a 305 and shorty headers i had to have dual fans goin otherwise it got way hot under the hood yes that fan is to small if it was built into a shroud that cover the whole back of rad then it might pull enought surface area, maybe

Senior Member..now yer posting! SSScottSS's Avatar
    I have a Camaro radiator in my Monte and I put some Ramcharger dual fans on it. Keeps it super cool and they were priced to sell. I'll see if I cant find a link or vendor for them.

Edit:

Here's a picture of some Ramcharger fans. They were selling for around $130 shipped a few years back from SMM Enterprises. I don't know if they still sell them or how much they are now, but they were a screamin deal a couple years ago. I listed who I bought mine from.

Mike McKinney
    SMM Enterprises
    219-926-9793
    perfparts@comcast.net

Last edited by SSScottSS; 07-21-2010 at 12:33 AM.