Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help!!! Car runs hot!

Ok so I have a motor that I got out of another car I bought. It's a 355. It will run hot as in 240ish anytime you aren't doing a constant of about 45mph. I pressure tested the cooling system with no pressure loss. I replaced the water pump with the correct rotation pump. The radiator is a two or three core aluminum with a single electric fan. Thermostat was completely taken out. Air dam is under the car and in tact. I don't know what else to do but I am getting really sick of it. Oh and the oil doesn't look milky. Any help will be much appeeciated.
    Oh the car is a 85 camaro.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    When the car is cool, take the radiator cap off and start the car. Watch the coolant flow I side the radiator. Make sure the radiator isn't plugged. Why did you remove the thermostat? No reason not to run one if anything run a 160. Do ou know for a fact the water pump is good? Lastly it could be the timing or fuel mix at idle. How much initial timing are you running? Idle mix too lean?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    sounds to me like the radiator is plugged,or a hose is collapsing and sucking shut,i recc a thermostat too,no reason not too,it may be circulating to fast threw the engine and radiator too cool proper.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

The only reason the thermostat is out was to diagnose the problem whether it would run cool at all or not. I don't know about the timing because I had Tom at ote do that. I will check all that out tomorrow. I guess part of me is just worried the motor is messed up since it is fresh and I have found other things messed up from the p/o. Thanks for the help so far!
    Last edited by loud91rs; 07-13-2010 at 09:01 PM.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

I say fan.
    How do I edit my signature?

agree in part with Kurt by further saying that the electric fan is only pulling air through the area it fits..I had the same issue and went back to the full shroud and stock fan.and my cooling is awesome...
    Just lurking....

Checked the flow of coolant today with the cap off and found what looked to be good flow. Reved it up and it flowed faster. Watched the hoses as I reved it up and found the lower to suck in a bit but still flowed. I think I can count out the radiator now since the radiator used to be in basically the same car with no issues. The fan is working and is wired to a switch. Looks like I have to look into the tune now?
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

My fan worked great as well but it was not pulling air through enough of the radiator..just saying its an easy check..if you have the stock shroud and fan put it on and rule out the air flow..you mentioned that it varied when driving so I would think it is a air cooling issue...I doubt the tune can be that outa wack
    Just lurking....

Not to be taken serious Karps TA's Avatar
    I would say not enough fan. 3rd gens suck for cooling. Even with my dual 12" fans it isn't always ideal.

Dumb question, but is the fan wired so the blades are spinning the right way? Some are reversible depending on how you wire them. It might be trying to push air thru instead of pull.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

^ could very well be the case. Good thought. If it is infact spinning the right way I would think even one electric fan would move enough air at idle to keep the car decently cool. YOu might see some temp creep on these hot humid days but it should go right back down once moving.

I checked out the fan today now. It's mounted on the engine side of the radiator and I for sure feel it blowing towards the motor. I know this because I switched the wires and it blew the other way. I assume the air should w pushe towards the motor.....?
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Yes the way you have it mounted it should pull the air through the radiator

Is it pulling a good amount of air thru? Like if you put a piece of paper on the otherside of the radiator it should easily grab it and suck it to the rad.

How much of the rad is the fan covering? Pic maybe?
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    what about trying a after market temp gauge??? maybe it's just reading wrong??? i don't know
    02' Pontiac Trans Am WS6 ( Sunday Driver)
    89' Pontiac Firebird Formula 350 (It's Been 10 Years)
    87' Chevy Monte Carlo SS (Stocker)
    99' Chevy Camaro SS (Project Car)
    99' Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 Diesel (Toy Hauler)
    04' Pace Pursuit 28' Enclosed Trailer (Toy Box)

Quote Originally Posted by Karps TA View Post
    Is it pulling a good amount of air thru? Like if you put a piece of paper on the otherside of the radiator it should easily grab it and suck it to the rad.

How much of the rad is the fan covering? Pic maybe?
    Been asking this..you can have the best electric fan but if it isnt covering enough to bring air through the fin area well then it will run hot...
    Just lurking....

Or the radiator itself isn't up to the task. IE not enough core, corrosion etc

Quote Originally Posted by loud91rs View Post
    Checked the flow of coolant today with the cap off and found what looked to be good flow. Reved it up and it flowed faster. Watched the hoses as I reved it up and found the lower to suck in a bit but still flowed.
    if the lower hose sucks in a bit with the cap open, wouldnt it suck in more when the system was sealed closed? maybe try the same test but with the cap tightened and look at the lower hose.

I inspected the hoses again when the system was under pressure. Using my hand to rev the motor up, you could see the lower hose collapse a bit. If I put slight pressure on the hose, it would fully collapse. I really hope this is the problem. I don't know how high I was revving the engine, but my guess would be 2500-3000rpm. The car still overheats at 2000rpm going down the road though. Who knows, but looks like I'll have to buy another lower radiator hose. This one was new. It's an aftermarket radiator, so I had to do my best to pick this one since the oem ones do not fit. I attached some pictures as well...
    Thanks for all the help so far guys. I don't think I'm out of the woods yet though

12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

That is not enough fan IMO. Looks like you're barely sending any air over 40% of the radiator even. You could use 2 of those.

Bare minimum 60% of the radiator should be covered with shroud and/or fans.
    Last edited by Karps TA; 07-15-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

I LOL @ ur fan.
    How do I edit my signature?