Thread: gt 40 heads

gt 40 heads

i have a friend that has a 89 mustang with a 347 stroker he wants to get different heads for his car he has stock ones right now he foumd a set of real gt40 heads not p the guy told him they rebuilt 40,000 miles ago thye guys asking 200for the heads he asked me if theyy are worth that but i have no idea im in to chevy stuff more if some one could help that would be great
    z28 man

1979 camaro z28 4speed t-tops with well built 355 not dynoed yet goes pretty good

1994 camaro z28 auto lt1 350 with gm lt4 hot cam also not dynoed yet just got together

Quote Originally Posted by z28 man View Post
    i have a friend that has a 89 mustang with a 347 stroker he wants to get different heads for his car he has stock ones right now he foumd a set of real gt40 heads not p the guy told him they rebuilt 40,000 miles ago thye guys asking 200for the heads he asked me if theyy are worth that but i have no idea im in to chevy stuff more if some one could help that would be great
    They usually go for $300 to $350. Thats a great price. But, for that motor, I'd go bigger!!!

unless heavily worked GT40s aren't worth the price of the gaskets to change over to them, stock gt40s might be a 30hp gain on a 347 over stock e7s. I would save your money and find a used set of twisted wedges and send them to TEA.
    Pity the mate of Queen Mantis, so content, but so headless

Iron stock GT40 and P's are good for a 302 but to make them work really good on a 347 there gonna need alot of port work.

As stated your going to need a head with at least 185cc intake runner. AFR 165's would be nice for a lower lift cam though. (like a E cam or lower)
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

He said his friend had stock heads, I'm guessing his friend doesn't want to spend a lot on cylinder heads. He should go with a much nicer head than GT40's but he's going to spend 4 to 5 times what he can get these for. They will be an improvement over what he has but they are definately still going to be choking that motor.

I would slap anyone that would put a set of GT40P on their engine. They suck ass. By the time you figure in rebuilding, gaskets and headers you could have a good set of AFR.

Unless the GT40 are free I would pass on them.