A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Clay bar questions...

1) Is there any difference b/w say modeling clay and the clay bars you buy from various vendors such as meguires/etc?

2) Is it best to clay bar before polishing? Or just before waxing?
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

I would only use clay formulated and marketed for automotive finishes. All bars in the US are pretty much the same, but outside the US there are a few other options. That has to do with US patent law. Ricardo (Canada) yellow clay and Bilt Hamber (UK) clay can be softer and a little easier to work with.

What you want to do maybe every spring or so, is clay it after washing and before polishing and waxing. It needs to be done if you can feel the paint is dry and not smooth after you wash it. Some people say to use a plastic bag, but you can use be very light and sensitivity you have in your finger tips really helps to "tell". If you wash you hands and are gentle, no need to use a "condom"
    Last edited by jon_we4; 06-15-2010 at 09:48 PM.
    --
    Jon

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Do I have to buy it dinner first?

thanks a lot!
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    yes there is a difference! only use the stuff intended for autos.

wash, clay, polish, wax. In that order.
    ~Joe~UNITED SATES NAVY
    LT4 Hotcam, LT headers, Magnaflow Catback, CAI, 58mm TB, FLT Trans, 2800 Stall, UMI suspension

if possible get your hands on bars made outside of the US, much better quality and choices in terms of softness and cleaning abilities. and as posted basically wash with dish detergent, clay, wash, polish/sealant then wax.

Yep, it shoots fireballs!!! stealthy1ss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula View Post
    if possible get your hands on bars made outside of the US, much better quality and choices in terms of softness and cleaning abilities. and as posted basically wash with dish detergent, clay, wash, polish/sealant then wax.
    I have heard that using dish detergent isn't the best for your paint. Is this true and if so what is the best way to get your car clean of all wax/polish, dirt, and grim?

it strips the surface of wax and polishes and is NOT bad for your paint. its good for a base cleaning before you clay bar and go any further but if you have a good finish already skip it and use a quality car soap.

I wouldn't use a large concentration of dawn or anything, and I'd be careful around the trim. Ultimately the technique has more bearing than the products used. You can use the best stuff in the world, but if your technique is off it won't yield great results. Also its possible to make a car look good with less expensive products found at walmart for example - the results might not be the best or last that long, but it will look good.

With that said, if your finish needs claying the clay should do a good job of stripping the surface after the car is washed. Contaminates, tree sap, etc - it'll take the surface down to a 'blank canvas'.

Unless you are going to do a full polish, wax, detail - just wash the car with car wash. Think about it like power washing your house without doing the priming and painting.
    --
    Jon