Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

04 duramax fuel issue

ok so i'm more than likely going to pick up an 04 duramax this weekend. but the dealer is fighting what they say is a fuel issue. he didn't want me coming down and looking at it today cuz they didn't figure out what it is yet. but i came and looked at it anyways. for the price it looks and drives like a great truck until it cuts fuel and you can't drive it. around town it was great at 25 mph. but once i tried to get on it a little more it shifted hard and then wouldn't go any where it sputtered for awhile then it went finally. it did it again wen i was almost back to the dealer. he said it was embaressing that it was acting up duringa test drive but i told him it was fine you told me it had a sensor issue before i drove it. he says the tech pulled some fuel reg. sensor code off the pcm and there going to fix it tomarow. my question is does this sound like what is going to fix it or could it be the injectors that are still under warranty. or a really bad fuel filter? diesels are new to me but its pulling all the fuel wen your trying to get on it and it just idles/sputters trying to go.
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

ask for a fuel filter change. is it an lly or an lb7 duramax? lly's have issues with the #2 and #7 injector wiring harness. when these wires short out it reacts with complete power loss. i would have them looked into if it's and lly.
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

my buddy was trying to get me to figure it out how can i tell witch motor it is the 8th vin is a 2 that should be motor designations correct? i figured it was somethign stupid easy since its almost impossible to blow a dmax up but i guess it could happen when i started driving it it ran real good turbos loud.(has an intake, and a stack .)

2 is the lly variable vane turbo the exhaust hiss (jet dryer like)
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

ive also heard it has the external injectors? so it does have an lly motor. and thats probably why i thought it sounded weird. this probably should be in the diesel section i didn't even realize we had a diesel section until 2 min. ago

oh yea the trucks only got 80k on it so if this fuel thing its simply fixed i'll be a happy truck owner

Call shane at kilpatricks, tell him chris flairty (me) sent u. He will more then likely no. He is a duramax wizard
    2002 dodge cummins - mechanically injected, stupid built.. never ending project
    2013 Toyota Tacoma - crewcab, v6, 6 spd, 4wd, TRD package

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    Sounds like nothing more then a fuel filter going bad. This is exactly how my LLY would react if it was getting plugged. First tell tale sign will be that the shifts get really sloppy, if you notice that, change your filter immediatly! I ususally change the fuel filter on the Dmax trucks every time I change the oil, cheap insurance.

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    on a side note, do yourself a favor and use Delco filters. They are the only filters I have not had issues with. For some reason ive had bad luck using anything but factory filters on these trucks. And purchase a WIF sensor wrench, it will make removing the WIF sensor off the filter alot easier and you wont tear it up like an adjustable wrench will.

my buddies ll7 acts up when his filter gets dirty but this i like way worse lol. i couldmn't get to hwy speeds because of it and it set a low fuel pressure code in the pcm witch was making me think it needed a filter. cuz slwo speed was fine and idle was fine

yes the lly has external injectors. so no need to remove valve covers to get at them like on the lb7.
    Brandon

Look at the option tag on teh door or in the glove box, look for the LLY or LB7 in the RPO code listing.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

yea i forgot to look on the door. it was made 05/04

ok they got it fixed they did two things. One replaced the fuel filter like i told them to do and two aparently someone put anouther inline fuel pump on the truck that was bad. they took the pump out and it runs fine again. full power and all. i asked for them to throw the pump in the back of the truck for me as i wanted to see what it was. i'll be taking it home tomarow morning but before i leave its getting a beat run to make shure shes set or its not leaving there lot.

take a pic. i might be interested in it.
    Brandon

if it failed how could it be any good. a buddy of mine wants to see it as well. might have something to do with the banks kit thats suposedly on it. i'll snap a pic with my phone tomarow and should be able to upload it on here.

i could rebuild it cheaper then buying a new aftermarket lift pump which is what i'm assuming went bad. a good portion of them however like a fass go after the stock fuel pump so even if the lift pump goes bad the stocker will run the truck like nothing ever happened. the lift pump is just there for added fuel amount/pressure.
    Brandon

i think that may be what it is if so i'll probably keep it and put it back in we'll see

they usually have an auxiliary fuel seperator and filter as well. Its smart protection if thats what it truly is/was

-Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

man i need me a fass 150 system. lol
    Brandon