2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar

ABS and TC light on..

on the wifes 2006 Pontiac Torrent. does it just need new rear brakes?(replaced the front about a month ago) or is this a bad ABS sensor? any idea's?

its a 2006 front wheel drive, 3.4 6cyl has 55k miles on it. rear shoes or drums have never been done.

Probably a wheel speed sensor... However if you know someone with a Tech II or ABS Scanner that would make a world of difference for diagnosis.

Definately not rear brakes.
    Thanks,
    Joe Reichard
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero
    2010 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6-Speed Manual... It's my wife's and she lets me drive it from time to time...
    2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    1995 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

agreed not brakes but more than likely a sensor issue. slight possibility or an axle issue if it has the abs rings on them
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

cuttin' chips
    diagnose which side needs a wheel bearing and replace it.
    91 Notch - where to begin

yea now i think about it that cars got hub sensors nvm yea what rally scort said
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

cuttin' chips
    9 out of 10 times, your already hearing a grinding noise especially while turning.If you cant determine which side is making the noise, jack the front up and check the wheel bearings for play.Grab the top and bottom of the wheel and try and wiggle it.Its a relatively easy job to replace em, they bolt in rather than press in.Good luck

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rally_scort View Post
    diagnose which side needs a wheel bearing and replace it.
    My thoughts exactly.

so it would be the front wheels with the sensor? no grinding noise at all when turning.

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    Odds are it is one of the front wheel bearings yes. The abs/tc sensors are built into the bearing assembly. The bearing isnt always going bad, but the sensors are not serviceable seperatly to the best of my knowledge. I know for a fact this is the way it is on the GM trucks and the hub assemblies are almost always responsible for ABS faults.

cuttin' chips
    Quote Originally Posted by emptypockets View Post
    Odds are it is one of the front wheel bearings yes. The abs/tc sensors are built into the bearing assembly. The bearing isnt always going bad, but the sensors are not serviceable seperatly to the best of my knowledge. I know for a fact this is the way it is on the GM trucks and the hub assemblies are almost always responsible for ABS faults.
    yes and no.Most newer GM's do have servicable sensors, but they are made of plastic and corrode over time and wont come out without snapping off.

As for the which wheelbearing is out, IIRC the TC(traction control) reads off the front wheels since the Torrent is only FWD.Regardless if you do the job, or have a shop do the job, the code will still need to be cleared.

so after i replace what needs to be replaced the code wont just go away? so i know its fixed... even with disconnecting the battery or something.

OK well the wife told me that the light go's off all the time but comes back on. so that would make me think its just a bad sensor or even just dirty/corroded. i think im going to take the front wheels off and take a peek.

and from looking at rock auto there are sensors on all 4 wheels.. i need somebody to scan this thing then hopefully i can figure out wich one needs to be replaced.

The front & rear wheel speed sensors are stand alone. The wheel bearing doesn't have to be replaced on these for an ABS sensor replacement.
    Of course a scan tool would be the way to go to confirm what code your setting.

But you can check all the wheel speed sensors manually with an ohm meter.
    The sensors are each 2 wire permanent magnet generator style sensors.
    They should ohm out at 800-1700 ohms. Also they should generate 100 millivolts AC from the 2 same wires turning the wheel by hand.
    If one falls outside those specs it needs to be replaced.

There is also a more common TSB on these, the short version;
    ( otherwords check the rear ABS harness connectors)

Models:2006-2007 Chevrolet Equinox

2006-2007 Pontiac Torrent

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described below.

Condition/Concern:

The ABS and/or Traction off indicators come on with DTC C0045 and/or C0050 set in the EBTCM. This can be caused by a poor pin connection at the rear wheel speed sensor connector.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    Unplug the appropriate wheel speed sensor connector and inspect the female terminals and perform a pin drag test using Test Probe: 12094429/J-35616-2A (GY). If the terminals are damaged, replace the wheel speed sensor.
    If the terminals test good, then re-connect the wheel speed sensor connector.
    Use the Tech 2 to clear the codes from the EBCM.
    Test drive the vehicle, then re-check for codes. If the C0045 and/or C0050 set, replace the appropriate wheel speed sensor.
    Note: If the code(s) did not return, do not replace the wheel speed sensor. The cycling of the wheel speed sensor connector may have corrected a concern of a poor connection.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

cuttin' chips
    Quote Originally Posted by 0TransAm0 View Post
    OK well the wife told me that the light go's off all the time but comes back on. so that would make me think its just a bad sensor or even just dirty/corroded. i think im going to take the front wheels off and take a peek.

and from looking at rock auto there are sensors on all 4 wheels.. i need somebody to scan this thing then hopefully i can figure out wich one needs to be replaced.
    true, all 4 wheels will have a speed sensor, but it wouldnt make much sense to have the TC sensor read off the rear wheels.It would throw the whole system in a frenzy if you pulled the ebrake and locked the rear wheels up.If the light comes on and off, your probably on the right track assuming the sensor is dirty.They are essentially a magnet, but IIRC they read off the inside of the wheel bearing, not off the cv shaft ring.If thats the case, im not sure how you would go about cleaning them.If your at all leary, take it to a shop and have them diagnose which wheel needs the bearing, and replace it yourself.That should save you an hour or two of shop labor.If this car only has 55k on it, could it be a warranty issue?

wrencher thanks for the info. i will check that out as well..

A couple of pics
    Attached Images Attached Images