Speedo issues with GM clusters 03-10 still under warranty.

Not sure how many people know or not but the stepper motors on the dash clusters almost always fail causing the speedo to stop working or the various other quirks. The free fix is only for 03-10 and less than 80k miles and it does affect ALOT of models. consider this an fyi, look up your vehicle and see if yours is due as it cost a TON for a new one to replace. I did find a place to repair them rather reasonable in price but a free fix would have been ideal.

http://www.gmspeedometerrecall.com/

Yeah I had my bosses 04 Silverado fixed after they insisted it was the VSS which it was not. Sent him in with the TSB and they fixed it. Had to order a replacement cluster.

cuttin' chips
    we've installed a few recently, a rebuilt cluster costs us about $300 and not much labor involved.The other more prevalant problem that should be address is the secondary air injection setup.It was a great idea to put the air pump under the drivers floorpan, letting the pump fill up with water and kill itself
    91 Notch - where to begin

The place I found to fix the cluster charges $130 to replace all 6 motors, helluva deal compared to the dealer ripoff for a crap part they knew they put in. Rally, what is the secondary air injection setup and where exactly is it located?

cuttin' chips
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula View Post
    The place I found to fix the cluster charges $130 to replace all 6 motors, helluva deal compared to the dealer ripoff for a crap part they knew they put in. Rally, what is the secondary air injection setup and where exactly is it located?
    Its an emmision related air pump.I'm only aware of them installed in the Trailblazers, Rainers, and Envoys.They are located on the frame rail under the drivers door.It has two hoses(one heads to the EGR valve, the other goes to the intake tube after the filter).They tend to fill up with water, corrode and short out.We've replaced several of them lately now that the rainy season is here.I know its not really related to your original post, but i figured id vent

all 96 up 2.2 S truck have them too.

lots of service bulletins out for them.

If anyone needs a cluster, I can order them and get them to you at 10% over cost (my cost). But if someone were to yell a little, chances are it will be good willed under warranty.

That 4.2..... crap, and the same mileage as the 5.3.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rally_scort View Post
    Its an emmision related air pump.I'm only aware of them installed in the Trailblazers, Rainers, and Envoys.They are located on the frame rail under the drivers door.It has two hoses(one heads to the EGR valve, the other goes to the intake tube after the filter).They tend to fill up with water, corrode and short out.We've replaced several of them lately now that the rainy season is here.I know its not really related to your original post, but i figured id vent

4.2L straight 6s do NOT have an EGR valve. Variable valve timing takes the place of an EGR system. Even if it DID have an EGR, that's not where the AIR hose would be going to. EGR is designed to reintroduce exhaust gas into the engine to lower NOx. An AIR pump delivers FRESH air directly into the exhaust manifolds by way of a rubber hose/metal pipe and a one-way check valve that is SUPPOSED to allow air into the manifold, but no exhaust gases backwards into the AIR pump/lines.
    GM World Class Certified Technician

They are also found on MANY 4.3L Blazers/S-10s 3.4X engine Monte/Lumina/Cutlass. Some 3.8L equipped Monte Carlo/Impalas (2000-2005 era) And on Ventures/Malibus etc with "California Emissions"

Quote Originally Posted by Taetsch Z-24 View Post
    If anyone needs a cluster, I can order them and get them to you at 10% over cost (my cost). But if someone were to yell a little, chances are it will be good willed under warranty.
    not likely in my case. my 03 has 188k miles on it and no way in hell I would pay the money the stealership wants for a cluster not even with a 50% discount but thanks anyway!

cuttin' chips
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherbenn83 View Post
    4.2L straight 6s do NOT have an EGR valve. Variable valve timing takes the place of an EGR system. Even if it DID have an EGR, that's not where the AIR hose would be going to. EGR is designed to reintroduce exhaust gas into the engine to lower NOx. An AIR pump delivers FRESH air directly into the exhaust manifolds by way of a rubber hose/metal pipe and a one-way check valve that is SUPPOSED to allow air into the manifold, but no exhaust gases backwards into the AIR pump/lines.
    what do they call the EGR-looking solonoid that bolts to the head? I was under the impression that a secondary air-injection system would be another name for EGR on these vechicles.

Quote Originally Posted by rally_scort View Post
    what do they call the EGR-looking solonoid that bolts to the head? I was under the impression that a secondary air-injection system would be another name for EGR on these vechicles.

It is a check valve. The point is the systems are for two different things. AIR injects FRESH air into the manifolds, the EGR uses RECYCLED exhaust gases back into the engine. The AIR helps reduce HC emissions on cold starts only, the EGR reduces NOx at cruising speeds (not open when idling or car would stall). The task of EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) on a 4.2L is accomplished by varying the valve timing of the exhaust camshaft. When cruising, it changes the valve timing to overlap more time the exhaust valves are open while the intake valves open during the intake stroke of the piston.

Quote Originally Posted by brotherbenn83 View Post

I have a customer that has a Trailblazer, 4.2L and it has an EGR. Located where the engine lift removal bracket would bolt to on the passengers side of the head. Not sure if it was CA. or what the deal was. I will pay more attention next time it is in the shop.

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

cuttin' chips
    Quote Originally Posted by Coops Brother View Post
    I have a customer that has a Trailblazer, 4.2L and it has an EGR. Located where the engine lift removal bracket would bolt to on the passengers side of the head. Not sure if it was CA. or what the deal was. I will pay more attention next time it is in the shop.
    thats exactly what i was talking about.It looks like an EGR, and is located where an EGR valve would normally be.Ill have to smell it and see if it smells like an EGR

You mean THIS: (AIR check valve)

damm this thread wandered.

damm this thread wandered.
    I love lamp

I have replaced many clusters. They all go bad sooner or later.
    At least they are standing behind this one somewhat.

not likely in my case. my 03 has 188k miles on it and no way in hell I would pay the money the stealership wants for a cluster not even with a 50% discount but thanks anyway!
    50 under list would be wholesale, and that is 25 over cost.

just throwing it out there for anyone.

as far as service goes, I dont take my car there for a reason...

I think cost is around 150 to 125 if i remember correctly...

Chris