Why does the pitcher's glove color matter?

Before he threw his first pitch, Coffey was forced to switch gloves because the color of the glove -- which he's been using all season -- was too light, clashing with the Bears uniform. After being tipped off by Mets manager Jerry Manuel, the umpires approached Coffey and asked him to make the switch.

"It was light, a little bit too close to the colors of the uniform," Manuel said. "I told [the umpires] before he came in. I saw him warming up in the 'pen with it and thought it was a little light.
    Why does it matter what color Coffey's glove is?

A light color glove, white or close can hide the ball so it's harder to pick up out of a pitchers hand...which is why pitchers can't wear white long sleeves for example.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Interesting. I did not know that. Thanks!

Boost went where again? Silver86's Avatar

neither did i... interesting.
    - 86' rx7 - 06' mustang GT - 04' xterra SE -

same reason that in centerfield there's a "hitters backdrop" or a "hitters eye" one solid color.
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    As for Coffey's glove, here's what happened: Manuel noticed that it was close in color to the Negro League unis the Brewers were wearing and alerted umpires because he felt it could be deceptive. It was too light, too close to the color of the uniforms.

seriously dude....bring up posts that are 3 months old isn't a good way to bring your post count up...do it too much and they may put you back at 0.
    Chicago is what you would get if Milwaukee had sex with it's sister. Said by a co-worker of mine arguing w/ somebody on how Milwaukee is better then Chicago.