Thread: Security light?

Security light?

Drove my car for a half hour then shut it off for 5min came back out and restarted it and noticed the light on and has never come on before needless to say i was gonna wait till i got home before shutting it off and when i got home i did so and then restarted it and the light was off
    So what would cause this and is it something to worry about?
    It's a 2001 GS.
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

wiggle the key and try again i assume it had that chip in the key? my T/A did it once and hasn't done it since usually somethign to do with the key if i remember?
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    My T/A did that. I just used the other key. Not sure if that dam chip got wore out or what but the different key worked.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar
    happened to me as well in the TA. chip got worn out needed a new key..cost about $35 if i remember correctly...

OR your lock cylinder is starting to go. There are 2 little tiny 22 gauge (dumb!) sized wires going to the pellet reader in the cylinder.
    The repeated use of the cylinder/turning it to crank, it breaks one of these wires.
    Seen them also do this just before they go out totally.

Quote Originally Posted by wrencher View Post
    OR your lock cylinder is starting to go. There are 2 little tiny 22 gauge (dumb!) sized wires going to the pellet reader in the cylinder.
    The repeated use of the cylinder/turning it to crank, it breaks one of these wires.
    Seen them also do this just before they go out totally.
    Thanks guys!
    Wrencher i was talking to my neighbor who is a tech at bergstrom and that's what he was telling me.
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

Just take care of it sooner rather than later, when the wire finally breaks it will not crank. You can always locate the wires under the dash and tape a spare key, or tie-in a similarly valued resistor to them, then you don't have to take apart the column.
    GM World Class Certified Technician

i've heard of people doing the resistor thing and if mine ever does fail its probably what i would do.
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

I had to do the resistor thing last summer.
    It is VATS.
    03 Terminator Vert
    06 TL