Thread: Diesel for a DD

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

Diesel for a DD

This was brought up in another thread a little bit back, but I want to address it directly. How is a diesel as a daily driver?

Allow me some background; I tend to change vehicles somewhat frequently (every other year or so, occasionally more depeding on daily/project etc) but this is starting to slow down. I have been through different interests, imports when I was younger, rotary, trucks, domestic. The only type of vehicle I have yet to own is a diesel, mainly out of ignorance. Since I was a kid i liked big trucks, and the diesel rumble always grabbed my attention.
    The thing is, I don't really NEED a diesel for daily life. I occasionally tow my '66 or my sleds, but not super often. I work in an office so its not a job truck. The final kicker, I only drive around 20mi or so daily.

I was looking at older 12v cummins, and a price range of 12k or less (max). I'd love the extra torque of the diesel, and I admit i do like the "style" that presents itself with the big diesel trucks. Am I crazy for considering this, or is there practical value in a diesel as a daily?
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e

diesel will not like a 20 mi commute... and in addition that short of a range of driving ur fuel savings won't be significant enough to warrant the additional initial cost premium over a comparable gasoline engine. Alot of people buy them before they know what they really should be looking for. Oil changes are more expensive on average double a gas engine (iirc the cummins swallows 12 quarts with the filter) fuel prices are higher although fuel efficiency is greater... i u wanna buy it for the rumble there is nothing in the gas world like it...
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

why would it "not like" the commute? Is it something to do with the way they warm up etc?

The pros to me are: mileage, power/moddable, tow/haul if desired, tough as hell
    Cons: maintenance, initial cost

Anything else to consider?

Fuel mileage over a gasser for daily driving is neglible if you're comparing a 3/4 ton diesel with a half ton gasser. I average around 16 mpg right now mixed, but also consider diesel is usually about 20 cents higher, most modern gassers will do the same. A diesel will do better on the freeway for the most part but still not worth the premium IMO. Don't let people convince you these things get 30mpg on the freeway at 70 mph, they don't. Not even close.

Towing is AMAZING especially with a mild tune. Maintenance is obviously more expensive. Oil changes are more expensive but the interval is double to triple that of your normal gasser so its a wash on price.
    -Tyler

I'm looking for something that I can drive daily for the next couple of years; until hopefully I may be in a position to get company transportation, and keep the truck as a backup/hauler etc.

Is there anywhere to look to find diesels for sale? craigslist and autotrader don't seem to yield much. I would be looking at cummins dodges for the most part. I'm a GM guy but the diesel offerings in my pricerange are weak. I have never been a ford guy, although they seem to be the least expensive option.

okay the 'it wont like the short commute' comment is several things.. the engine wont even be warmed up by the time you are done with that commute...in winter you will have to plug er in to at least have some kind of heat for that commute which costs in electricity (a block heater is a modified short, it likes it some watts) if you want to experience it borrow one sometime and see for yourself whether you can handle the downsides or not. The plus is you are looking at probably one on the most durable engines with the 12v/6bt engine. Fix the KDP if it hasn't been done..look for an inline pump... mods are fairly straight forward with the mechanical pumps. 12v motors are noisy and they have a limited rpm range (stock) if u plan on modding get a manual or prepare to build an expensive auto trans.

for what u wrote u want to do with it sounds like ur gonna be killing a gnat with a sledgehammer buying a diesel

also the duramax with an allison per dollar invested u can get more performance

if u get a ford get a 7.3 it is actually a decent engine

cummins will live the longest
    Last edited by WickedSix; 05-12-2010 at 11:46 AM.
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

yeah i really wouldnt be looking at a 12v for a daily driver. You can hook a block heater to an electrical timer so it only turns on 3 hours before you have to go to work or whatever.

i have a 5 minute commute to work and my needle is buried cold when i arrive uf its below 60 degrees lol
    -Tyler

i feel like im getting a couple mixed signals. Its obviously overkill for my purpose, and I won't act like I'm some heavy hauling hardass; but I would like the ability to haul my gear if desired.
    You say the 12v isn't the best choice for a daily, but I see you have a 24v as your daily. Would spending a few extra $'s for the newer 24v be worth it, or is it still less than ideal?

guess what i say? get what u want. u want a diesel get one. just do your research. maint. is higher. but it lasts longer. i get roughly 16mpg in the city without my tuner. with my tuner i got around 18-19 mixed and can get upwards of 25 on the freeway if the conditions are right. i love my truck and don't see myself going back to a gas dd unless it's a car which then i would prolly get a vw tdi. last time i checked the word overkill is the american way of doing things? lol
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

Quote Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
    i feel like im getting a couple mixed signals. Its obviously overkill for my purpose, and I won't act like I'm some heavy hauling hardass; but I would like the ability to haul my gear if desired.
    You say the 12v isn't the best choice for a daily, but I see you have a 24v as your daily. Would spending a few extra $'s for the newer 24v be worth it, or is it still less than ideal?
    My truck has the 24v Common Rail engine in it, its a bit more efficient than the 12v and the older 24v and a whole lot quieter, especially in winter time. Unfortunately its hard to find an 03+ CTD for cheap, seems like prices of used diesels keep going up.

I'm not going to lie, my truck is way overkill as all I really tow is a 2500 lbs boat. Diesels are great, but I've been finding out the hard way everything is expensive on a 3/4 ton. I'm probably going to end up selling mine in the near future to get rid of the payment as my parents are probably be going to be getting a new vehicle and offered to sell me their Durango for dirt cheap.

Like Anakonda said, get what you want and like. Take one for a drive see what ya think.
    -Tyler

i love mine as a DD, get about 18-22 mpg, runs smooth and nice down the road (well for a truck) and starts good when cold, just gotta make sure it has some good batteries and a good glow plug system....really best for a DD would be a duramax IMO
    -Kyle

2006 F350 6.0 CCLB DRW Lariat
    Gearhead, Holders Diesel, Retro Solutions, Pure Diesel Power, Screamin Eagle, Spyder Industries, Recon, Dirty Diesels
    KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeehaw View Post
    a duramax IMO
    why do you say this? I haven't seen many duramax in my range right now, there is a huge jump in the price from the older 6.5's to the dmaxs.

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Short commutes will be hard on a diesel truck. The oil will never get hot enough to burn off water or any of the low-flash fuel. They don't handle particularly well, they stink, they make a lot of noise, and maintenance is expensive. Fuel is priced by BTU/hr now so it doesn't matter if it runs on E85, gasoline, or diesel it all costs the same per mile.

If I lived 30+ minutes from work I'd probably have gotten a Duramax instead of my 6.0L half ton since the price difference was negligible for me (like $30/month payment). But I never plan on living more than 15 minutes from work. I suggest going and driving some, preferably something newer from each of the big 3. Ignore the immense torque and pay attention to everything else about it.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Quote Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
    why do you say this? I haven't seen many duramax in my range right now, there is a huge jump in the price from the older 6.5's to the dmaxs.
    they hold their value, they are really realiable, quieter, and a lot smoother of a ride cause of a IFS, but if you want to pull A LOT of weight they won't handle it, but i am with wrath drive a few and see what you like. I have not seen any more cost wise of driving this then my thunderbird, gets the same MPG, and really about the same to maintain, but you will have to get ready to change the fuel filter every 10k miles and oil changes do go up. But they should last a hell of a lot longer then most gas engines will if you maintain them. Mine has 311k on it and i beat the SHIT out of it!
    -Kyle

Gearhead, Holders Diesel, Retro Solutions, Pure Diesel Power, Screamin Eagle, Spyder Industries, Recon, Dirty Diesels
    KCCO!

if you'd like more info check out www.dieselplace.com, or www.powerstrokenation.com, or www.dieselbombers.com
    -Kyle

KCCO!